TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

lt1 with 4l60e or 401

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 7:38am
Buzz you did nothing wrong and if anything you did it right.

68jav, We buy AMC cars with power/drive trains not because we can open any catalog or web page and order any part or parts to build a whole car it’s the challenge to build our cars with AMC power/drive train.
If we wanted to run the “others” power/drive train we (I) would have bought that car to do so.

But as was said it’s your car do as you want but other than what has been said to visit the other web site I don’t think you will find help here installing other makers power/drive train in an AMC.
Good luck
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Slate Slate wrote:

Typical. It's an AMC forum you say. Well the rest of the car is an AMC. He asked for help. He didn't ask for lectures about what other forums would do ( who cares?) or how polite one is being. If you have to say how polite you are being, then you aren't being that polite. If this is an AMC forum why cite how receptive a Chevy or Mopar board would be? Aren't we AMCers doing our AMC thing? It's more than ironic that people here focus on what reaction would occur in Moparland, Fordville, or Chevy country were a similar scenario posed there, all the while saying that staying AMC is about a purity thing. Well, if it is, then following the lead of  how things are done in the automotive mainstream comes across as a little hypocritical when attempting to shun the idea of helping someone keep an AMC going their way.

Better not to answer at all. What the man wants to do isn't my personal cup of tea, but I believe in relaying what the options are and letting someone else decide. Chances are, in the long run, they will come back into the AMC fold, if you get what I mean. All it takes is a little patience and alot less patronizing, which is what he was railing at, justified or not.

Steve

This may be a big shock, but I agree and well put, Steve.

Also, I always see AMCers say "dare to be different" Acting like other forums/marques is not being different.
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 11:20am
I understand those who like keeping brand x drivetrain with brand x cars but why does it have to be such a big deal.
It's just another car guy putting a car together and honestly think its a smart route to go.
My 401 build is still underway and after all the extra money and wait time I won't want to beat on it like I would if parts were cheaper and easier to get.
Heads and intake going on 8 months at porters.
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 11:45am
I didn't tell the guy NOT to put a Brand X engine in his AMC.  I believe I said, "You car, your choice."  

I also simply pointed out that few here are experienced in installing a Brand X engine in an AMC. ..and that, based upon that fact, he MIGHT have better luck looking for the information elsewhere.  At no point did I beat him up for suggesting a swap.  Go back and re-read my original response.

At no point did I tell him NOT to do it, or to effectively "eff off."  In fact, I have no problem with putting different make engines in our own rides.  My own '52 International is slated to get an AMC V8, plus a Pacer IFS clip...so I'm not gonna be a hypocrite and tell him NOT to put a Brand X engine in his AMC.

But I also don't go to oldihc.org and expect them to tell me how to install an AMC engine or a Pacer front suspension clip in my International, either.  It's simply not productive.

Now continue to flame away.  I think you missed a couple of spots.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Ant Ant wrote:

I understand those who like keeping brand x drivetrain with brand x cars but why does it have to be such a big deal.

Expect 'cause so many who drove AMCs in their youth (or who's families drove AMCs) got flak from their Brand-'X' friends about how crappy and slow AMCs were and that "... only your Grandma would drive one ...".

Face it, AMCs just weren't seen as cool cars. I remember a guy got props for putting a 454 and then a Hemi in a Javelin (don't know how the Hemi fit) ... but then it was cool and fast 'cause it had a Hemi.

So sanctioning the installation of a Brand-X engine now just qualifies what your friends said back in the day.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 12:47pm
Everyone I hung out with alteast knew of AMX's and Red White and Blue cars and considered them all VERY fast.

When I 1st got my Jav in 1988 I pulled up beside a guy I hung out with who had a solid 11sec street car at a red light. He looked over and put her on the convertor, then proceeded to destroy me. After the race we pulled into the local Sheets and he said "Oh that was you, all I saw was "AMX" and figured I had a good race"

I was like nope, it's just a Javelin with a 304. It was pitch black out and all he saw was fender humps and a stripe come up beside him.

So don't worry about what NRFs that are too scared to race think.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 5:02pm
NDA racer,

What??

JUST a Javelin??

Ihope some guy in just a Javelin waxes your hind end....
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 5:27pm
Yep, it's just a base Javelin. Nothing special in the car world. No Z code ETC.

A guy in a Javelin wax my Javelin? If they feel accomplished for beating a stock 130,000 mile 304 with a 2.87 peg leg, I feel sorry for them.
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by nda racer nda racer wrote:

This may be a big shock, but I agree and well put, Steve.

Also, I always see AMCers say "dare to be different" Acting like other forums/marques is not being different.

Surprising, yeah. Shocking, no. Either way, I appreciate it, man.

Steve
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Red Devil Red Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Ant Ant wrote:

Expect 'cause so many who drove AMCs in their youth (or who's families drove AMCs) got flak from their Brand-'X' friends about how crappy and slow AMCs were and that "... only your Grandma would drive one ...".

Face it, AMCs just weren't seen as cool cars. I remember a guy got props for putting a 454 and then a Hemi in a Javelin (don't know how the Hemi fit) ... but then it was cool and fast 'cause it had a Hemi.

So sanctioning the installation of a Brand-X engine now just qualifies what your friends said back in the day.
 I didn't grow up on AMC. I liked various Ramblers and AMC's, just as I liked cars in general and cars that were a little different, in particular.

Growing up under AMC put downs seems, for some, to mean they don't look at another car guy hotrodding a car with another engine/drivetrain as no big thing when it is an AMC. To me that means they still live under that shadow they let their friends put them under decades ago.

I see the explanation, but don't share the view.Wink

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic