TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

LS to AMC rocker conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 7:14pm
Very interesting!

-Steve-
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 8:08pm
Apparently the factory LS rocker arms MAY have a problem with shedding needles from the stock needle bearings.  But Comp Cams has a trunnion upgrade kit, so that might salvage the project.

Just wanna go into this with eyes wide open.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 8:19pm
What's the OEM application for these? I'm putting my 304 back together next week and if I can some of these, I can mock them up and take some pics to see how they fit.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 8:35pm
Not exactly sure of the years I will check and get back to you tomorrow. Very broad application of LS engines in various vehicles used the same set up so there are tons out there with better info. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 8:50pm
Some info here  http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/cams_heads_valvetrain/sucp_1209_budget_ls_rocker_upgrade/
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 10:15pm
The 2012 Copo Camaro at school had 150 passes on stock rockers with a little over 200 seat and 600 open spring pressures, no issues. They are upgraded with the Comp trunnion kit now.
RASelkirk View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RASelkirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2014 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

What's the OEM application for these? I'm putting my 304 back together next week and if I can some of these, I can mock them up and take some pics to see how they fit.

Any LS Gen III engine from '97 thru '08 with cathedral port heads. On these heads, the intake and exhaust rockers are interchangeable and have 1.7:1 ratio. . When the LS Gen IV engines went to the rectangular port heads, the intake rockers were offset 0.180" with the ratio staying at 1.7:1. The only LS engine that came with 1.8:1 rockers was the LS7 with it's proprietary heads and offset intake rockers.

Russ
'63 American 220 Sedan (under re-construction)
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2014 at 7:13am
Originally posted by RASelkirk RASelkirk wrote:

Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Any LS Gen III engine from '97 thru '08 with cathedral port heads. On these heads, the intake and exhaust rockers are interchangeable and have 1.7:1 ratio. . When the LS Gen IV engines went to the rectangular port heads, the intake rockers were offset 0.180" with the ratio staying at 1.7:1. The only LS engine that came with 1.8:1 rockers was the LS7 with it's proprietary heads and offset intake rockers.

Russ

Not knowing Chevy's much, what vehicles are they in? If I go to the auto parts store, what application do I ask for?

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2014 at 8:08am
If you go used anything with an LS 1, LS 2 and LS 6 in it in the range of years listed above are the same. L92, LS3, LS9 use the same rockers on the exhaust, intakes are different. 
If you are going for new I would go right to GM and get them. Part numbers for rockers are 10214664 and the stands are 12552203. The rocker stands are 3.74 each, 2 required and the rockers are 11.21 each 16 required of course. These are prices I found on line using part numbers from my GM performance catalog, check with your local dealer. Get the 5/16 course thread cap screws at any local hardware store for about a dollar each, I will check the length later.  The GM part numbers above are for LS1, LS2 and LS6 intake and exhaust 1.7 ratio straight design. You know will need to set up geometry using these, dont you? Looks like around 200 dollars for everything, rockers, stands, bolts, plus tax using the prices above, used should be less than half of that. I have seen them on Ebay for around 50 dollars used. 
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2014 at 10:11am
I wonder if the saddles you showed below would accept a stud mounted performance rocker arm.

Probably have to sleeve the arm's pivot to take up the bolt diameter difference but if it worked you could use a roller tip if you wanted.

-Steve-

****UPDATE****

I see there are already bridged roller tip rockers. The mount above would be nice to eliminate guide plates.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/scc-scp1097bl/overview/make/american-motors

-Steve-

Edited by Rebel Machine - Mar/09/2014 at 10:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic