TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lowering plates.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcgearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lowering plates.
    Posted: Feb/04/2017 at 10:11am
I have looked and looked for the print dimensions and info for lowering plates for my 1972 Javelin.It seems I remember the plates having 8 holes in them,instead of six.Read that all the hole patterns on the spindle are the same.Wanting a full 2" drop.There was a print on here somewhere.Every search is turning up nothing.Can someone please help????
1972 SST, 2001 MERC., 2008 CROSSBONES If it moves,it's going to break!!
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2017 at 10:20am
Search the suspension section using "max drop" I believe...

There is a 6 hole unit shown...

READ the whole thread, because there is a dimension error on the drawing...
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2017 at 10:21am
Never mind... found it...

http://theamcforum.com/forum/max-lowering-plate_topic84305.html

No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
amcgearhead View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcgearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2017 at 10:26am
Not sure how you enter that,duh.Sorry.OK that is the six hole pattern.I still was thinking a eight hole print was posted somewhere.

Edited by amcgearhead - Feb/04/2017 at 10:36am
kingsX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2017 at 3:04pm
I have a set i'm not going to use now.  You can have them if you pay for shipping.  Also have a pic of the print dimensions i used.  I can text or email pics if you want.  I think mine drop the car 1 5/8" though.

Edited by kingsX - Feb/04/2017 at 3:07pm
73 AMX Javelin PC
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2017 at 6:23pm
The six hole pattern has a drop of around 2-1/2". The eight hole has a 1-5/8" drop, IIRC. You can't get the holes top holes for the steering knuckle and bottom holes for the spindle much closer, that's why there is either a 1-5/8" or 2-1/2" drop. The 2-1/2" drop just puts the bottom spindle holes in the top holes of the steering knuckle.
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcgearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2017 at 7:06am
Thank you all very much!I have the fenders off right now to strip and body work.Thought this would be a good time to lower and reunderseal inner area
.I have went to sliders in the back,replacing the shackles,so I would like to get about a 2 to 2 1/2" drop for stance.I do have an extra pair of almost new springs that I could cut,But concerned about the spring setting in the perch.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2017 at 8:59am
I wouldn't lower with the springs more than an inch. Affects suspension and steering geometry. The plates are the way to go! If you make the 1-5/8" drop plates and need a little more drop you can order custom springs from www.coilsprings.com. They make springs to order, and have the stock spring specs. I always order a 1/2" or so drop and 12% stiffer. They will compute the new spring rate to match the shorter spring.  There is a 4-6 week wait time though.
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcgearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2017 at 11:46am
Frank ,when you say 1/2",is that off the stock spring length or is that their length that they figure to set the car down 1/2" I think the spring and plate combo is what I'll do.Kings X I appreciate the offer.Wonder about the shipping?How you want to be paid.By the time I buy the steel,cut them,and drill and tap,this may be a great deal!!! I also don't have access to a Bridgeport anymore.
kingsX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2017 at 8:56pm
I think a small flat rate shipping box is around $7-8 thru the post office.  Maybe cheaper in one of their envelopes.  There's a post office about a block from my work so it wouldn't be any trouble.  Check in the mail would be fine for that small of an amount.
73 AMX Javelin PC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic