TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lower Glass Stained

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lower Glass Stained
    Posted: Apr/22/2015 at 6:49pm
I have seen rear windows which look "dirty" at the bottom corners from water and dirt pooling there. However now I have one which has this appearance across the entire lower inch and a half of the window. Ordinarily I just polish it off with compound or chrome polish but this one is so bad I need to use something else. Has anyone tried super fine steel wool? I just don't want to risk scratching or fogging the glass.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2015 at 7:23pm
I would think Bon Ami would clean it off... Used it on hard water clouded shower glass.

Be sure to mask off if keeping paint nice,  if paint is an issue.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2015 at 8:11pm
You can try a Magic Eraser. They work good and it comes from a glass guy and if you have no luck, it might be in the glass it's self. I have 2 back windows that I have had tinted and both have issues with the lamination or something that makes them look stained or have bubbles in them. Even the guys at the glass shop were surprised but if you look real close you can see it in the glass.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMXTSY View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2015 at 9:01pm
0000 (4-zeros) steel wool will not scratch glass or chrome. However, if the glass is laminated, the discoloration can sometimes permeate between the glass layers (ie; safety glass) and can not be cleaned. This condition can be also be caused by placing rubber, silicone or certain plastics in close proximity. What happens over time is a chemical reaction takes place. A carbon black gas is created and given off and can permanently stain the surrounding material including glass. For an example, we would always tell our scuba students not to store a silicone dive mask together with rubber fins. Otherwise, in time, the mask itself will develop a smoky brown tint. This is the same type of reaction from the butyl rubber window sealant combined with the onboard plastics, vinyls, exposure to the elements etc. that can result in the conditions that you described. Maybe a mild abrasive like BonAmi, Bar Keepers Friend or even a mild acid solution might do the trick. -Just another long-winded thought. Bruce
Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2015 at 9:26pm
Great suggestions. It is a non-laminated rear window which is out of the car currently. I'll give some of these methods a try tomorrow!
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2015 at 11:19pm

X2 0n the 0000 steel wool for glass and chrome
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2015 at 5:36am
The 0000 steel wool sure works great on removing overspray from glass. I've recently used Eastwood's glass polishing kit to remove mild wiper blade arc marks from a couple of windshields. It consists of a hard felt rotary buff and a fine, but hard abrasive powder that you mix with water to form a paste. I found it to do a decent job.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2015 at 7:15am
I've also used CLR to get some of that haze off. Have even used it with the steel wool- donut outside with a mask though!
AMO Newsletter Editor
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2015 at 12:12pm
The Original Formula of Bon Ami works great. Use it in dry powder form and polish with a soft cloth. DO NOT use the newer, Improved Bon Ami as they put abrasives in the powder and it will scratch the glass. Read the fine print on the back of the box; they say "Not for use on glass".
Mike
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2015 at 12:45pm
I picked up some 0000 steel wool and gave it a try. It took care of the light stains, but didn't touch the heavy build up at the edges of the glass. Here is a before shot, and after using the steel wool.

Since a lot of this would still show with the moldings installed I tried a razor blade and it did the trick. I went through a half dozen of them because they would dull quickly and begin to go over the stuff instead of scraping it off. Afterwards I went over it again with the steel wool and then glass cleaner. After about an hour and a half it could almost pass for a new piece of glass! Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Smile

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic