TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lost headlights and turn signals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 6:53pm
OK that sounds better! So what doesn't work now? Just the turn signals?

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
MartyB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2018 at 9:08pm
Yes.,,and the guages (H2O, oil and gas).  But the dash lights do work.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 5:58am
Sounds like you're getting switched accessory power to the fuse block with the key on but you may not be getting accessory power OUT of the fuse block even if the various fuses are good. This would effect the turn signals, radio and gauges feed and the HVAC blower feed. You may need to remove the fuse block and check the back side of the circuit board for corrosion or looseness on the fuse clip connections.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 6:05am
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Sounds like you're getting switched accessory power to the fuse block with the key on but you may not be getting accessory power OUT of the fuse block even if the various fuses are good. This would effect the turn signals, radio and gauges feed and the HVAC blower feed. You may need to remove the fuse block and check the back side of the circuit board for corrosion or looseness on the fuse clip connections.

The was my thoughts as well... I bet the ignition switch wires header to the fuse panel is not on the proper set of terminals. That is a problem that can happen, since there is nothing to keep one from offsetting from its proper location.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
MartyB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2018 at 6:55pm
Again, thanks for all of the assistance.  The headlights now work but still no turn signals or gauges.  Found the fuse blown for the gauges so still working that.  As for the turn signals, I have power in to the fuse panel at the ign feed w the key in the on position.  Have power out at the turn signal connection on the fuse panel w the ign in the on position.  Pulled the steering wheel and the turn signal switch looks good.  Went to remove it and there is a thick yellow wire running into the connector that terminates somewhere under the dash so I can not pull the connector out.  Anyone know what the heck it goes to?  Any way to check the switch before purchasing a new one ($34 at parts store)?  When I was t/s the gauges I was trying to track down power source for the ignition feed...and it comes off of the headlight on buzzer which, according to my voltmeter only has power when the headlights are on.  What is the function of the ign feed to the dash...I thought it was supposed to provide power for the gauges.  Again, any help appreciated.  Thanks.    Marty
MartyB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2018 at 2:13pm
OK, now have turn signals...the power to the fuse panel was correct but the turn signal wire was plugged into the wrong fuse panel connector! Still having problems w the gauges.  The oil press gauge moved to a few psi but never further and the engine was idling just fine.  Tried grounding the H2O wire to a good ground and it did not affect the gauge.  Not sure about the gas gauge as there is very little gas in the tank.  Looking thru the TSM it calls for checking w a tester that I don't have.  Any good suggestions?  Thanks.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2018 at 2:25pm
how long has the car been with wires crossed or sitting unused?

If the car never properly functioned with electricals,  it Is possible the IVR needs the contact pads cleaned, and the wire connection header  pins as well. Check for looseness and broken traces around pads. They are the #1 reason why gauges don't function. 

The gauge wire for power should be on the 4A fuse. You can pull and clean the fuse clips and the terminal first to make sure you have good power. Then check before removing the instrument panel.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
MartyB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2018 at 10:12pm
The car was running a couple of years ago.  Husband passed away and wife did not deal w it for a while.  Took it to a mechanic to get it running but, after a lot of money, it was returned and wiring was a shambles. 
As far as the wire to the instrument panel and the fuse box...there is no wire connected to the fuse box at the gauge position.  As previously stated the wire to the ign feed of the cluster comes off of the headlight buzzer.  The wire from the buzzer appears to be factory as it comes out of the connector. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2018 at 4:18am
It may be better to try and find the connection go the 4A wire to your instrument panel.  That 4A wire drives the gauges. Without it your gauges will be Inop. 

I will need to check my tsm for colour of the wire as I am color blind and red, brown and green look similar, so I usually ignore what colors I see and ohm them out to find the wire I need.  In a way it is best, especially when you may have splices and or improperly connected wires.

Once you have verified voltage to your instrument cluster, diagnosing further will be easier. 
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic