TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lost Dealership Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 44>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCAmbassador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2019 at 11:05pm
From Bruce Rahlf:

Windshield Ice Scraper from Ed's Motors, a AMC dealer in Las Vegas, New Mexico. Used to be Ed's Rambler until the new logo, then just Ed's Motors.

[NOTE: Bruce has a number of these scrapers for sale as of March 2019.  He said he had them in Red, White and Yellow. Plus shipping. Will combine. I have quite a few of these.  Contact him via his Facebook page or reply to the thread in the "AMC CARS & PARTS Buy Sell Trade American Motors Corp" Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AMCbuyandsell/permalink/1495660307231072/?sale_post_id=1495660307231072

Note that you will have to be a member of the group to see the post, and to reply there.

Ice Scrapers from Eds Motors
MARC MONTONI - Grand Junction CO - www.AMONational.com #656 - www.AMCRC.com #62
64 Classic ht 327 / Twin Stick
69 Ambassador 2 dr ht 390
69 Ambassador 2 dr ht 290
71 Ambassador 4 dr
1990 Dodge Monaco
AMCAmbassador View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMCAmbassador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2019 at 12:09am
Billduff Motors
Edgewood MD

John Boksz: This dealership was 25 minutes or so northeast of Baltimore in Harford County.  Edgewood was the town.  Not far from Where Cal Ripken grew up and still owns a minor league ballpark in Aberdeen Md. We put on a AMCRC show in that area back in 2000.  The Kilduffs came out and thanked us for bringing a show to the area.  Here are a bunch of great pictures from that show.

Building still stands.

71 Ambassador 4 dr
1990 Dodge Monaco
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCAmbassador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2019 at 12:19am
Southside AMC-Jeep
Philadelphia, in the Phila Airport Automall

Josh Greenplate says this dealer is "still in business as a Chrysler dealer owned by the same family. At one time Southside was one of the top AMC dealers in the nation for volume, along with Reedman Toll AMC just outside of the city and also still around selling Chrysler’s (and everything else)."

Gregory Gentile commented in an AMC group confirming that the dealership is indeed still in his family and doing business in other brands.  Check out his comment here.

Based on the sign in the window advertising the “new” Pacer wagon and a couple of 1976 Gremlins on the lot, this picture was probably taken in 1977 or possibly late 76.  The "All New" Buyer Protection Plan II puts it about the same time.  Later 1976 or 1977.

Edited by AMCAmbassador - May/13/2019 at 12:23am
71 Ambassador 4 dr
1990 Dodge Monaco
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCAmbassador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2019 at 12:32am
Hoyt Stephens Motors 
Decatur, GA

Chris Lewis posted in an AMC Facebook group and provided this photo of his grandfather's dealership:

71 Ambassador 4 dr
1990 Dodge Monaco
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCAmbassador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2019 at 8:13pm
Vollmer Motors 
New Brighton, PA

Scott Watson posted in an AMC Facebook group and provided this photo of of Vollmer Motors as of June, 2019:

71 Ambassador 4 dr
1990 Dodge Monaco
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCAmbassador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2019 at 2:21pm
Castle Motors
Chula Vista CA

Jason Godwin posted in an AMC Facebook group about an AMC dealership license frame from Castle Rambler in Chula Vista.  Photo taken by Jason Godwin in June, 2019:

Here is the owner, Jim Peltier, as he appeared in his newspaper ads at the time.

Peltier passed away in 2014.  Here is his obit: James Paul Peltier, 1921 - 2014

"Jim was a Navy pilot in WWII and again during the Korean conflict. In all he piloted 17 types of airplanes. After his tour of duty at North Island he remained in Coronado and later became an automobile dealer in Chula Vista and National City. Jim is survived by his wife Midge Robertson Peltier and by many nieces, nephews, cousins and friends. Memorial and reception will be held at the San Diego Country Club, 88 L Street, Chula Vista, Calif. at 2:00 p.m., Friday, February 21, 2014."

Here he is in his later years.

I found some old newspaper ads that said the address was at 3rd and E St., Chula Vista.  Of the buildings still on that corner, can't really tell if the Castle Rambler building(s) are among those shown on Google Maps.

Peltier also owned a Plymouth franchise.

Edited by AMCAmbassador - Jun/28/2019 at 3:01pm
71 Ambassador 4 dr
1990 Dodge Monaco
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCAmbassador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2019 at 3:19pm
Art sl*gley Rambler
Fontana CA

Loren McAfee posted in an AMC Facebook group about an AMC dealership license frame from Art sl*gley Rambler in Fontana CA.  Photo taken by Loren McAfee in June, 2019:

I found some old newspaper archives with advertisements that said the address was 17338 Foothill, Fontana.  This is what shows upoo at that address now -- looks like an old dealership building to me.  From Google Street View:

I could not find any more information about the dealership's namesake.

Edited by AMCAmbassador - Oct/16/2019 at 9:31am
71 Ambassador 4 dr
1990 Dodge Monaco
TheWaz View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2019 at 11:14pm
Pacerman,

Regarding your offer to provide the Lloyd Motors document, my father built the building in the mid 1950, I got my first car from the Used Car Lot (a 1947 Ford Coupe that was a trade in!

Would like to hear from you.
Mike
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2019 at 12:27am
Refresh my memory please.  What document did I offer?  Glad to help if I can. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Jmader View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2020 at 2:19pm
I know it's been a long time since this post, but I have an update to the Dealer project.  I was trying to find the name of the dealer who originally sold my 1969 AMX.  I received the proteco plate with my car but it only referred to the dealer number "26-5000".  So when I looked at this list, I didn't think it was a dealer in Detroit given the dealer number series being so far from what mine shows.   

DETROIT

?????, Greenfield Rambler Inc., 13600 Greenfield Road (1960s)
48227, Greenfield AMC/Jeep, AMC/Jeep/Renault, 13600 Greenfield Rd. (313)837-8200 (1970s-80s)

The original owner lived in Bloomington, MI which I didn't find on the list so I thought perhaps I could locate it by looking for a Chrysler/Jeep dealer in the area that had been around for 50+ years, thinking they would more than likely have been an AMC dealer in the early days.  So I found two and called each.  I was fortunate enough to find a dealer owner who is old like me (59-60 ;) and as it turns out, his friend is a former Dealer Representative for the area and recognized the 26-5000 number as being Greenfield AMC/Jeep/Reneault!  As I look at the list here and see two entries for Greenfield, both same address but different names 60's vs. 70's+. I'm assuming my 26-5000 number was either an old Rambler number pre-conversion once Rambler was bought maybe.

Anyway, I hope this can be helpful to others.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 44>
  Share Topic