TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Looking to get some more power out of my 304

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 4:11am
First you stop driving that fast modern 4-cylinder car. Never touch it again. It has set your expectations too high.

Then you buy a used Yugo from Ukraine and drive it around for a few weeks or preferably a month or two until you get used to its performance and consider that the new normal.

Then you go back to driving your Javelin. It will feel REALLY fast now....and smooth....and quiet....and sporty...and wonderful in every way.

Problem solved. You have now reestablished yourself with reality.

All the other replies I thought about typing were big angry rants about classic cars being historical artifacts that should be preserved rather than modified, but I figured nobody wanted to hear that so this is the least sarcastic response I could come up with. It's taking a lot of restraint.

Edited by FSJunkie - May/29/2017 at 5:28am
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 5:40am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Because having a Javelin that drives like a modern 4-cylinder eco pod is more important than having a Javelin that drives the way it did off the dealership lot in 1971 and serves as a time machine.

Because going fast today is more important than preserving history for our children and grandchildren.

I'd really like to know what it's like to drive a Ford model T. Fortunately I do because I came across a stock one and an owner willing to teach me, but many people are now deprived of that experience because people in the 1960s made hot rods out of model T's and They don't drive anything like they used to.  

A Javelin may seem insignificant, but model T's did too. In another 50 years they may only be 10 Javelins left on the planet. What is yours was one of them and everybody else LS swapped their Javelin.

Think like a historian.

Understood, but few can't have it both ways. If I only knew much earlier when I got my car how unique it was, and now being that it is less common as I thought it was. All the options for the most part were bling, and made the fun of driving the car difficult if expecting power options. It was like a base Javelin in SST clothing. The only saving grace is air conditioning and the 304. As it could have been on of the many I6 Javelins off to be modded or parted out, never to be seen again as they were.

At least at the time I did not opt to purchase an I6, as I knew enough about how hard it is to find one restored or left as original. Many who lived with seeing many AMCs on the road have realised through time making their cars either stand out or be more their own by upgrades, have been not just unique but in a niche that has over grown the base that from which it started.

S when time comes, those with easier to restore modified cars will resort to restoring when the big money will be after factory original specimens. Right now my love for AMC is split between both sides. A fond appreciation to those who have unmolested original or restored correct cars, and those who keep tinkering adding to the hobby, as not many are willing to bring back what was left to wither through time, as it is easier to revive and be a bit cost effective through customisation. Plus the time to get it on the road and drive comes into play.

One thing I do note is that the Javelin is the most modern amd sporty AMC car left over from AMCs racing program. In a way to drive something that feels less sporty than a Gremlin makes the fun factor less than expected. If I had a 71 304 Gremlin, i would not bother modifying, nor would I feel so with an I6. IMO AMC dropped the ball with the 71 through 74 Javelins, by allowing I6 versions as options and dropping the 4 bbl 304 with dual exhaust. And not making power steering and disk brakes standard. It would not have broken AMCs back to do so, and may have made a public statement about the car carrying over it's status in racing. Be a leg up over the big three.

My only gripe is AMCs billboard ad showing the 71 Javelin and comparing it to the 80s. Vacuum wipers were never found in any 80s car I know of, for example. So having a few noticable carry overs from the sixties that were soon dropped in 72 makes a 71 Javelin an odd duck. "Only if..." would come to mind, about how the public would have grasped the 71 Javelin as a true 80s car amongst the competition.

So that in a big part makes one to want to upgrade what lacks on the 71 Javelin. My 73 Javelin, being in College had only a few mods. As I had money and a stable corporate job later, bolt ons were my only thoughts about performance. I actually was happy with a mostly stock 304. I chose to pop in a Dodge Coronet rear to have better MPG, but never felt a loss in sporty feel and it's performance. Though I was not looking for a LT1 or a Mustang 5.0L to prove up against. I was happy keeping up with how people drive and not feel bogged down by y cars age. In fact if I had it today, I would keep up still fairly well, being twice as old and all amongst the newer cars.

Now remembering my 71 Javelin when driving home from its 230 or so mile drive from St louis. It had better power feel with its twin grip unit, which my 73 did not have. I know i would not beat my 09 3.5L V6 Honda Accord Coupe we have now, but know once I got going I'd run it down. 4.11 factory gears make it a challenge for any AMC with 2.89 gears. On a 25 MPH roll the Javelin would do very well on hurried efforts. So being stock and daily driver, an old 71 with 304 is not a slouch.

Just there are some who want more, maybe I am getting old, but these days, I see no reason why peeps try to prove something on the street, when there is way too many stop lights and everyone is going about pretty much at the same speed. Back in the 80s things were less congested and you could get on it and go somewhere without worry of having to watch for traffic.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Dmk477 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dmk477 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 6:54am

First you stop driving that fast modern 4-cylinder car. Never touch it again. It has set your expectations too high.

Then you buy a used Yugo from Ukraine and drive it around for a few weeks or preferably a month or two until you get used to its performance and consider that the new normal.

Then you go back to driving your Javelin. It will feel REALLY fast now....and smooth....and quiet....and sporty...and wonderful in every way.

All the other replies I thought about typing were big angry rants about classic cars being historical artifacts that should be preserved rather than modified, but I figured nobody wanted to hear that so this is the least sarcastic response I could come up with. It's taking a lot of restraint.

Perhaps you should just be happy that someone of the age of 23 has interest in doing something with an amc. It's people like you that drive people my age away from classic cars. If guys my age do not have an interest in these cars, the whole amc brand will be nonexistent within a decade or two. So when someone my age has interest, help them, and accept what they want to do with the car. Otherwise every car show you go to will be just be filled with mustangs and camaros. But I think it's already a little late for that. Now if you aren't going to be constructive, don't waste any more of your time or mine, and stay off my thread.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Dmk477 Dmk477 wrote:

Perhaps you should just be happy that someone of the age of 23 has interest in doing something with an amc. It's people like you that drive people my age away from classic cars. If guys my age do not have an interest in these cars, the whole amc brand will be nonexistent within a decade or two. So when someone my age has interest, help them, and accept what they want to do with the car. Otherwise every car show you go to will be just be filled with mustangs and camaros. But I think it's already a little late for that. Now if you aren't going to be constructive, don't waste any more of your time or mine, and stay off my thread.

You answered that rant perfectly! Clap Clap And you're exactly right about people like him.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

You answered that rant perfectly! Clap Clap And you're exactly right about people like him.

Either both you guys missed the heavy sarcasm of FSJunkie's post, or maybe I read sarcasm into it that wasn't there.

Either way, I think it has to do with dinosaurs giving way to mammals,
or comparing a 1970's action movie to a 2017 remake of the same picture.

In context they each ruled their times,
out of context you lose something.

The best $2,000 laptop from 1997 can't run Windows 10 like a $99 PC Stick from today can.

The goalposts move, and it gets frustrating (and expensive) if you measure the old standards with the new yardstick.

All that said,
I am now working to make my 1971 Javelin AMX feel and perform more like my 2015 Fiesta ST,
but I know in the long run putting my $$$ into the ST would give me way more usable performance per dollar than I'll get putting it in the AMX.

Edited by jpnjim - May/29/2017 at 11:10am
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 11:35am
I don't know how to put It, two different cars, in both weight and size. You can convert a small car into a go cart, but not a big car. Just how you sit, how the road feels gives the sense of speed and handling.

If you just want off the line performance you need a twin grip rear. Better grippy tires. A stock 71 Javelin without them will just spin it's wheels. I know, as I have had a 73 and it just could never launch as good as my 71 because of the open carer. Just a light stab of the throttle will cause the rear tires to spin. Plus the rear is light. I'd get axle wrap even with one leggers down the block.

Not sure but front wheel drive also has a good advantage with gripping the road. So the Javelin until further mods are done, will always feel differently.

Sure you could zip through traffic in the Ford, but in the Javelin zipping around needs a bit more than just more power.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 1:30pm
A few simple mods can make a 304 produce 200 hp.
A good aftermarket manifold (I like the air gap for any street AMC)
and blocking the heat stove.

Add a 600 4bbl, (I like the Carter/Eddelbrock).

A good large single or dual exhaust ...
Headers are nice but expensive and prone to leaks.

Add a lower gear ratio.

AMC liked to put gears in the normal street
cars that gave uninspiring performance.
Acceleration like a barge leaving a dock.

A set of 3.54:1 or lower in that car will make it feel like a dragster.

I would opt for 3.73 to 4.3 depending on your driving habits.

9" Fords are cheap and plentiful.

It is easy to make that Javelin go like a raped ape (with a 304).

Gremlin Dreams
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

No he's not, because I'm 22 years old. I am a millennial just like him, only I believe in preserving AMCs as they were built so that future generations can see and experience the cars for what they are, not what we modified them to be.

If the baby boomer generation before us millennials all Chevy-swapped their Javelins, then we would never know what a Javelin actually drove like when it was new. We wouldn't know what an AMC engine sounds like. Their desire for customization and modification deprived us of that experience. Unless....a few of those baby boomers decided to keep their Javelin stock for us.  

All I'm saying is think about the future consequences of your actions.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 3:36pm
I think some people may have lost sight of what it means to love cars and the simple fact that it means something different for each of us. I personally think the huge spoilers and coffee can exhaust are hideous and it is why you would never find them on my vehicles. It is fine if someone else wants to put them on their car and while I think it looks tacky I could care less because it is not my car. For myself, my dad (rest his soul) and my son it is all about making the car perform well and dressing the car up slightly with a little polished parts here and there while maintaining a mostly stock appearance (until you look under hood or chassis). However, my car from 20 feet the only noticeable upgrade would be the wheels are not stock. As you get closer you notice darn those tires are larger than stock. Closer still and look under the hood, Dayum! look at that procharger, aluminum heads, etc. Look even closer yet, whoa tubular front end and rack and pinion. Get under it and it is nice subframe connectors, TKO trans and four link rear-end with fab 9 rear end. Look in the cab and notice mostly stock except front seats are modern style race style seats. However, for me and many others there is a certain level of satisfaction knowing that you took something and made it better than what it was originally or kept it competitive by modern performance standards. It is not that expensive to make an old Javelin crush a modern car. I did that easily just by hopping up a 360. I have since taken what was predominantly straight line performance a step further and making it an absolute multi-purpose terror on the street, strip and tracks.

The one thing that plagues every old car out there is gearing. They did not used to consider that a car should last 100k+ miles where today cars are expected to last 250k+ miles. Anyway, my point is our old cars were not meant for modern roads so why should we not update them to be able to drive them on modern roads? When is the last time you saw an old model A or T cruising the interstate? They don't take them there (at least unmodified) because they would get killed doing so.

One thing that I have seen stated is that it costs too much to make these old cars perform like a new one. To that I say only this. Have you forgotten how much that new car cost you to buy?? Yes, I have as much as a modern Mustang or Camaro would cost sunk into my 1970 Javelin. However, it is important to note that from a pure performance standpoint I would completely destroy them on not only the straights but the curves and braking as well. Now there are areas that they would get me and that is crash safety, modern amenities like Bluetooth audio and phone integration, cruise control, lane departure, cameras etc. but then I am just another drop of water in the ocean. However, you can obtain really good performance and still have money left over.

Here is my top 4 changes to get the most out of an old car (not listed by cost)

1. Overdrive - either the add on to auto or modern 5 or 6 speed
2. Gear change to leverage the new OD unit
3. Tires to meet needs
4. Bolt on improvements (intake, Fuel injection or carb, exhaust, etc)

I put bolt-on improvements last as they can be done over time and could include anything from alternator to brakes. Anything else is just added spice.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 3:49pm
I grew up with these cars.  problem is not just AMC.   all of the american cars back in the day were pretty much all the same.  98% of the pre 79 cars are modified.  almost no car is stock.  I have a friend who has a 1969 Barracuda, its a 383 Formula S car.  its been in his family since 1969, and its never been stock. it still has the 383, the body is stock......  He doesnt care about it being stock.  Most people do not care it being stock.  Years ago I put a SBC in a 6 cylinder Nova......I liked it better and had fun.   Its a fact of life.  I have a 6 cylinder Gremlin....which Im leaving stock.  because its somewhat different.  some cars I will modify, others I wont.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic