TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

looking for an AMC builder in Virginia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for an AMC builder in Virginia
    Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 9:41pm
I've got a 30 over 401 that was crappily rebuilt before i bought it. It'll be going in my CJ7, and i'm shooting for 500 to 525hp, forged internals 6" rods with factory stroke if i can, and planning on using the new holley sniper efi.  i drive it every day, been up to canada, the outerbanks, all over. 

I've talked to a few local engine builders and none inspire any confidence with amc knowledge... transmission is an SM465, 33" tires and 3.54 gears. But the plan is 37s and 1 tons down the road. with the way i drive i guess i'd describe it as road race/endurance build with a nice broad power range is what i'm thinking. I drive my CJ hard and it steers and tracks as nice as any new Jeep and want the 401 to complement that. open to all ideas and opinions for the build!

I'm absolutely willing to drive wherever to have the right person/shop build it, any recommendations?
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 6:58am
400 HP out of a 401 is easy to do with the factory stroke. You will have to find the right parts and wing it up there to get 500. The street 427 stroker that I built did do the 500 at relatively low rpm (53. DCheek45: 427 Stroker - Page 2)
http://rebsamcandjeep.proboards.com/thread/144/dyno-time?page=2
I have the crank and pistons to do another one if you are interested.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 5:46pm
Depending on where you are in VA, there is a fellow that works on just AMC vehicles in Greensboro, NC. I have my car with him right now so can't attest to anything just yet - but I trusted him to leave it with him. If interested PM me and I'll give you contact info.

bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 8:40pm
Check your inbox.
i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 8:45pm
Doesn't stroking increase the wear and load on the sides of the cylinders? With my gearing my cruise speed will be around 2500rpm and up. So i was thinking the factory stroke would like that better. I know i will and would like to be able to spin it up to 6500. Is there a source for 6" rods and the stock stroke? I'm not terribly opposed to a stroker. But I've always preferred the short stroke high revving builds like a sbc 327. The 401 already has gobs of torque, combined with my low gears in the jeep.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 8:13am
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 8:15am
Curious, did you ever find a good builder and if so can you share info?
The Flying Clutchman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Flying Clutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 8:53am
There's Barry Allen in West Virginia. He seems to have a good reputation, but from what I understand he's usually backed up.
1969 BBO AMX
1970 Torino Squire
1971 Chevelle SS
1980 turbo Pinto wagon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic