TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for advice.  What's keeping me from 10's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Looking for advice. What's keeping me from 10's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2013 at 9:44am
I would run a torker...Skeown should do the same...
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2013 at 10:03am
Torker time.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2013 at 11:44am
For an auto if you have a good 8" converter it is generally a poor idea to go to too much gear. That creates a starting line torque spike that makes traction difficult. Less gear allows the converter to do it's job and you get a smoother wheel torque curve with the converter still multiplying through the 60'. And the lighter the car the less gear you want. Less than 3000 lbs with a 401 is when taking gear out of the car starts to really work. For the OP weight I would not recommend the 2.75 low gear, and even start to think about a glide. All of this is dependant on a good converter, preferably an 8" from someone who really knows converters.

With the really good ET for the mph leave the drivetrain alone for now - it works well. That 60' with really not much power says there is plenty of gear in it now.
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2013 at 12:45pm

Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

I would run a torker...Skeown should do the same...

Maybe, but the dyno didn't support that during the "Dyno daze are here at last" postings. I can say that my car hasn't shown the improvement that was expected when switching from ported iron heads and Torker to ported Indy heads and their manifold. Unfortunately our local track has all but quit operating sinse the switch, so track time has been very sporatic/ limited. 

I can say that going from a 4.10 rear ratio and 27" tires to 4.30, then 4.50 and finally 4.71 rear ratio improved my 60', 1/4 mile et's and trap MPH every step of the way without exception.     

SKeown

Edited by SKeown - Jun/16/2013 at 12:49pm
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2013 at 2:49pm
Careful Skeown - stick and auto's take different theories. The rpm band narrows with a good converter, the better the converter the less you have to over rev the engine. You want to keep it as close to the power band as possible. On your car throw away your old shift points, start over.
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2013 at 4:21pm

The experimenting with the rear ratio changes was an attempt to overcome the 2.64 low gear and ultralight flywheel, it currently has a 4.44 rear ratio. I'm considering returning to the stick shift, I feel that now that the carb is lined out it may do better? The rear power valve and float valves gave me fits with the Ultra 950. Part of the reason for converting to the automatic was to allow my nephew to drive some, but he's showing no real interest. The car does go straight with the automatic, whereas it sometimes got squirrely on the shifts with the T-10. We've got a second trailer now and intend to start going to the Baytown/ Houston track, that will allow me time to do further fiddling with the combo. The 131 MPH tells me the power is there, if the off line dip is eliminated and if I can home in on the clutch it should get where I want to go. Automatics aren't much fun for me.

SKeown 
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2013 at 7:42pm
I have run the ProForm setup with Quick fuel metering blocks and the 74/82 jetting the rep from Quick Fuel recommended and swapping that particular carb on three different cars picked them all up.  If your jetting is not close to this, I would try it.  I also have found that timing can make a significant difference.  If you have not optimized your jetting and timing you need to go back to basics and dial it in.  Edit:  you especially need to dial in the jetting running E85.
Reading through your thread, I agree 100% you should be running a torker, and also should try removing the power steering belt.  My car picked up 2 mph by simply removing the belt.  I also had a 998 built with the low ratio gearset and I saw a significant improvement in 60 foot and ET.  That was with a milder combination, but your combo should be able to stand the drop in rpm at shifts.  Speaking of shifts, optimizing the shift points can easily pick you up a tenth.
Good luck!
BB
pipefactory View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipefactory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2013 at 7:07am
I've decided so far that it will be a torker. You can ger a new one for about $265.00 but are the older ones any better? Also I have no power steering. And my dyno session was with an Indy intake, I think I went to the airgap to get a better 60' as back then I had a TCI converter, that made it hit high 11's. The converter switch got me low 11's. Now it seems I need to go back to single plane for more power. Getting power to the ground isn't an issue as back when my fastest time was 11.38 I tried launches with no burnout and ran 11.47. Last year the run just before my 11.26 run it bounced all over the track for no reason and almost ran over the 60' box.

Edited by pipefactory - Jun/17/2013 at 7:11am
Face distorting torque
10.99@121 mph
Rebels View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 12:56am
I feel your pain. I've been tring to get the big 10.99 slip myself. Have a bunch of 11.01 11.02... Passes. Maybe i just need to lose a couple pounds.lol. Keep at it you'll get there.

Edited by Rebels - Jun/18/2013 at 12:59am
pipefactory View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipefactory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2013 at 5:50am
Originally posted by Rebels Rebels wrote:

I feel your pain. I've been tring to get the big 10.99 slip myself. Have a bunch of 11.01 11.02... Passes. Maybe i just need to lose a couple pounds.lol. Keep at it you'll get there.

yep 5'8" at 235 here. Maybe a diet would get me closer.
Face distorting torque
10.99@121 mph
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic