TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Limited slip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2017 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

I swapped my 2.87 ring gear over and had to setup backlash again when I swapped it in. I didn't pull the pinion gear when I put this carrier in since I wasn't replacing bearings yet.

Hope the Jeep rear was also 2.87 (2.87 has 15 teeth on pinion, 3.15 has 13, 3.54 has 11). Even then, it'll probably be noisy, since the gears are lapped and worn in as a matched set and your ring/pinion are now mis-matched. Nearly every Troc-Lock carrier I've seen with over 20K miles is worn out, since the outer clutch rides directly on the case. Measure the case carefully to see if it's in spec before spending money on new clutches, they won't last long if the case is worn.

I've run lunchbox lockers in several vehicles. Once you get use to them they work fine. Only one I've ever seen break was in a full size Jeep with 35" tires, a 401, and a driver with a lead foot.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2017 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

The answer is based on your ability to overhaul a rear diff...

Good point.

I've completely rebuilt engines, transmissions, rewired entire cars, built brake systems from scratch, designed off-road suspensions, etc. But now that I have a decent press and other specific tools, I'm just now completely rebuilding my first rearend. I've installed lunchbox lockers in Dana rearends, but never had to touch shims, measure backlash, pinion depth, etc. It's not hard, but not something every wrench turner will be comfortable with. If you're good mechanically and can follow a TSM, it's certainly doable with the right tools.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2017 at 5:20pm
Lockers are meant for off-road.
On the road, in the wet, they are a pretty bad idea.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2017 at 4:29pm
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

I swapped my 2.87 ring gear over and had to setup backlash again when I swapped it in. I didn't pull the pinion gear when I put this carrier in since I wasn't replacing bearings yet.

Hope the Jeep rear was also 2.87 (2.87 has 15 teeth on pinion, 3.15 has 13, 3.54 has 11). Even then, it'll probably be noisy, since the gears are lapped and worn in as a matched set and your ring/pinion are now mis-matched.

I think I wasn't clear. My open 2.87 carrier in the Javelin was trashed. I just pulled the carrier from the CJ axle and put my 2.87 ring gear on it. That went back in the Javelin and back to its matched pinion gear with backlash reset just on a different carrier. So far the gears are quiet. It's a temporary solution that is running fine for now.

And I might be the exception, but I like lunchbox lockers. I've run them in cars and off-road vehicles. I'm used to them and end up driving accordingly without thinking about it in wet, dry, etc. That said, I can't argue against a high quality limited slip being a better choice in a car if you're driving it a lot.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic