TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lifter re-surfacing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guitar Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifter re-surfacing
    Posted: Jul/21/2016 at 4:48pm
This is getting ridiculous. Seems like when I buy a part or send a part out for machining, it comes back questionable. For example the large surface of the lifters. I had them resurfaced and they came back with a little dimple in the middle of each one with circular machine marks. Don't have a picture but here is a crude drawing. I know the surface should not be absolutely flat but shouldn't it be smooth?

If you don't take a chance, you never had a chance!
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2016 at 5:30pm
Try: http://www.elgincams.com/contact.html

The did my 196 cam and lifters.  No problems.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Guitar Nigel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guitar Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2016 at 11:49pm
Thanks. Almost sent them my cam but I found another one from Blazer. Plus Elgin was backed up until mid August. Going to take the lifters back to the machine shop and see if they can polish them up and get rid of the little nipples of them.

I will definitely use Elgin Cams in the future....especially after this mess with the liters and the local shops.

I am actually dealing with two machine shops. Each has been around over 30 years and both have great reputations. Both have let me down as have several online "Rambler" parts dealers. If I would have just brought them my engine and a pile of cash, no telling what they would have used and done.

Still...I am paying for professional service and should not have to baby sit and double check every move they make.

If you don't take a chance, you never had a chance!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic