TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lifter Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifter Problem
    Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 2:37am
I have recently had one of the hydraulic roller lifters in my engine fail and have contacted the supplier regarding a replacement. Based on what I have told them, running 20W50 oil and around 350 lbs open spring pressure, they have come back with the following response:

Quote We do not recommend running 20/50w oil in our hydraulic lifters. Our recommendation on oil is a Max of 10/40w and prefer 5/30w for the best overall performance.

Your spring pressures are fine. The Max we recommend is around 450.

Per your description of the lifter I suspect you have a broken metering plate and a high possibility of others fractured but not yet broken. If you continue to run the 20/50W oil it may occur again, even on a new set.

My initial thought was to just replace the one damaged lifter pair, but they are recommending replacing the entire set. The main issue with this is of course the cost, 1 pair of lifters is US$100 plus some shipping down under. They have offered a really good price on a full set of lifters, but still a fairly substantial cost. The current lifters are about 4 years old, but still have relatively low miles, max 3000 miles on them. The main idea of the hydraulic roller was long term durability, looks like that hasn't proved to be the case.

Of course plan B might be to put the whole lot in the bin and put a hydraulic flat tappet cam back in, which would cost roughly half what a full set of roller lifters will set me back. The current setup hasn't really lived up to performance expectations anyway and I have been considering a cam swap anyway.

Thoughts?

PS: The location of the tie-bar rivet prevents dismantling of the lifters.
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 5:42am
I think that the lifters are of poor quality and they are passing the buck on faulty parts. Just can't see 20w50 oil breaking a lifter especially in a non arctic climate.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 11:39am
Who's lifters are you running and what exactly failed, i.e. did the internal plunger collapse or pump up against the retaining ring? Roller and needle bearing ok?

Were there installation instructions with the lifters indicating what oil to use or what oil not to use?

Thanks,RD.
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 12:28pm
From what you say it seems the lifter plunger itself has an issue not the roller so the oil being the cause is really far fetched.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 2:45pm
No instructions at all with the lifters from what I can recall.

I had the old tap, tap, tap... From under the rocker cover and on inspection found one of the lifters wasn't holding up. When the lifter was removed, pressing down on the plunger had oil coming back out of the oil inlet hole.

Edited by WesternRed - Oct/09/2015 at 10:49pm
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2015 at 6:42pm

If it were me, I would at best replace the broken component, at worse that pair of lifters after inspecting all metering plates. Are they Johnson brand? I too doubt that the oil's weight contributed to the problem? It sounds like they are attempting to pedal another set.

SKeown 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2015 at 7:27pm
Can't inspect the metering plates unfortunately, the tie-bar rivet prevents the plunger from coming out of the lifter body. I'm thinking if the lifters are that fragile, then I'm probably better off saving the money and going back to a flat tappet cam. I can sort of wear replacing one lifter pair, but hard to justify the whole set. Johnson brand, supposed to have lifetime warranty by the way, subject to the absence operator abuse of course.
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2015 at 7:59pm

Are you saying you'rs are in fact Johnson lifters? Have you attempted to disassemble one? I had a set of Johnson solids, on assembling the engine I discovered one lifter didn't feed the rocker. Taking it apart I found the metering disc was seized. I contacted Joe Lewis, explained that I wanted to race in two days. He overnight a free replacement, and upon receipt of my faulty one he admitted the main body was machined improperly. On mine the pushrod seat could be removed by removing the snap ring, the metering disc was directly beneath it. Maybe the hydraulics are different?

SKeown 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2015 at 8:07pm
Yes Johnson brand, the pushrod seat doesn't come out of the lifter body due to the location of the tie-bar rivet.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2015 at 8:52pm
Feeling a bit stupid now, apologies SKeown, on closer inspection, the lifter seat does come out, it is the plunger that cannot be removed, didn't realise they were two different components.

Anyway, the metering plate is definitely a little damaged, well actually smashed to pieces:

Presumably most of the damage is done from running it after the initial failure.

Is it likely I would be able to pickup the early stages of failure in the other lifters by visual inspection alone?

Does the oil viscosity still stack up as the likely culprit or has something else gone wrong, stuck valve perhaps, piston/valve contact, of maybe the lifter simply bleeding down while the car is sitting and the lifter being damaged on start up before it has a chance to pump back up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic