TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lets Go Nostalgia Pro Stock Racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lets Go Nostalgia Pro Stock Racing
    Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 12:12pm
I have looking and waiting for this to start for a while and It looks finally there is a program starting.

http://www.jeffjohnsonmotorsports.com/drag_racing.php

My friend Mark that I have been racing with for about 20 years and now we are planning to make the changes necessary to compete with his car. His car is a 79 Concord hatchback. And Yes Wally Booth did have a 79 Concord hatchback he raced!!

While we aren't an original the class doesn't say we have to be but we hope we are accepted equally as the whole purpose is to show what that class was like. We have had contact with the orgaintion and as of right now all looks good!!! We are excited to do this.

We have talked to several people and Have gotten some very positive feed back on the Idea. We will NEVER have people believe its any of the Hornets ( besides its a Concord!!  lol) that ran In Prostock, but more of a tribute. We know who has Wally's Car ( we talk to them a lot) and we would never try to make people think we do!!

Marks Concord was Built in 1980 was pretty much just like the prostocks of its time (full Tube chasiss) but has been updated several times thru the years. So its legal all the way around and its safe and god forbid some thing would happen its not an orginal prostocker!!!

Any thought s on this idea?  Any one else wanna join the ranks? 

One thing we don't have right now is a Tunnel ram. We will probably have one built over the winter but could use one now.. Any cheap ones for sale or anyone wanna borrow us one???

Of the hundreds of Pics I have I don't have any pics of his car right now but I need to take some and get them posted soon and keep everyone updated of the progress!!!

Allan
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 4:40pm
Well, it's about time! I've been wondering when some one was going to get serious about doing this with the old Pro Stock cars. It is long over due. The old Super Stock cars have gotten so big at this kind of thing. That Nostalgia Pro Stock seems like a no brainer. My bet is this goes over big.

Main problem is modern NHRA drag racing has gotten boring! The big Pro races are lucky to fill out a 16 car field in Top Full and Funny Car and Pro Stock these days looks like a bunch of cookie cutter Jelly beans and are mostly door slammer funny cars. The only thing I found mildly interesting was IHRA Pro Mods with some of the older body style,but here again they mostly door slammer funny cars , but at least they were interesting to look at and watch. And I'm sorry I can't quite rap my mind around Toyota sponsoring Top Fuel and Funny cars, or any other drag racing cars for that matter.

Mark, better be figuring on winning the lotto , because under the proposed rules  Mark will needs to either get an exception or convert his 80 style Concord to a 78 Hornet. yes, not that difficult but still money , not to mention traveling to the various events. The events they are planning for the first year are all East coast / Mid-West type venues. None planned out here on the left coast. Which is too bad , I'd love to go and I've been thinking about going to a Good Guys event out here just for the heck of it.

LRDaum
LRDaum
ROGUE66 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROGUE66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 4:52pm
Very cool, cant wait to see some pics and to see how the racing goes.  I am good freinds with the son and dad that own the two wally cars, good people.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2010 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by ROGUE66 ROGUE66 wrote:

Very cool, cant wait to see some pics and to see how the racing goes.  I am
good freinds with the son and dad that own the two wally cars, good people.

I'll second that. In 2009 at the Musclecar Reunion event at Gateway they let me sit in those historic racecars and e-mailed pics of it to me!

-Steve-

Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2010 at 12:05am
Mark, better be figuring on winning the lotto , because under the proposed rules  Mark will needs to either get an exception or convert his 80 style Concord to a 78 Hornet. yes, not that difficult but still money , not to mention traveling to the various events. The events they are planning for the first year are all East coast / Mid-West type venues. None planned out here on the left coast. Which is too bad , I'd love to go and I've been thinking about going to a Good Guys event out here just for the heck of it.

LRDaum
[/QUOTE]

Larry that is the great part.. we don't have to convert, so far the response we have gotten is the car is OK!! 79 Concord  lol !!!

We won't be doing them all But we are going to see how it all goes and may be 1 or 2 this year!!!

A race got rained out tonight, so I ended up by the Concord. I got some pics of the car tonight, we removed all the decals. Slowly moving toward the 'Look"

Oh yea, good news on an Intake. other than a few eyes open for a used one, we have someone who will fab us intake for us, but need dimension!  any help on that???

Allan

tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2010 at 12:27am
I might be willing to help out with the intake. I will never sell it but might consider letting you copy it.
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2010 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by ROGUE66 ROGUE66 wrote:

Very cool, cant wait to see some pics and to see how the racing goes.  I am good freinds with the son and dad that own the two wally cars, good people.

We agree with you.. and Mark had a talk with them and they think the idea is great and has offered help, so we are l0oking forward to working with them.

I love what they did with the cars and so happy to see them take the cars out and show them as much as  they do. Every time I see the cars I have to stop and look them more and more!!

Allan
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2010 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

I might be willing to help out with the intake. I will never sell it but might consider letting you copy it.

If we have some good dimension of a intake we can get one done right away. I would suspect it be a little difficult to "copy" a cast one but any suggestion would be cool.Thumbs Up

Allan
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 9:25pm
Time to post those pics
As the evening began

All decals removed

Fuel Pump waiting for gas tank

Inside Tin

ROGUE66 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROGUE66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 10:48pm
Car is looking great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
  Share Topic