TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Left directional and hazard don't light up on dash
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Left directional and hazard don't light up on dash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArnieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Left directional and hazard don't light up on dash
    Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 11:57am
They work fine outside the car but don't flash inside. Hazard light too. I checked and cleaned all the bulbs and worked the copper clips to grip tighter on the board. I can hear them but can't see them. Right side is fine. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Edited by ArnieG - Sep/01/2014 at 10:09am
Cape Cod, MA.
1970 AMX frost white/shadow mask
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 1:10pm
Did you clean the bulb HOLDERS too or just the bulbs? Try bending the contact wires on the bulbs out a little more and clean the copper contacts inside the bulb holder.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
ArnieG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArnieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 1:47pm
I cleaned the tabs all to copper, pushed the tabs up so they contact better and cleaned where the bulbs go in on the circuit board but I didn't pull the bulbs out and check them, will now. Just feel like it's something simple I'm missing. Thanks

QUOTE=rocklandrambler]Did you clean the bulb HOLDERS too or just the bulbs? Try bending the contact wires on the bulbs out a little more and clean the copper contacts inside the bulb holder.[/QUOTE]
Cape Cod, MA.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 5:12pm
It could be as simple as two burned out bulbs. How did you clean and check the bulbs AND bulb holders if you DIDN'T remove the bulbs???
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
ArnieG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArnieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 5:47pm
Not even sure how I did it I was playing around with so many bulbs and housings but I got the right side to work but the interior lights are flashing with it. Must have a bad ground somewhere maybe the right flasher housing isn't grounding to the circuit board well enough but I did check. Can't get the left side flashing yet but I'm going to check every bulb and contact tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help I do think it's a bulb housing not grounding well enough to the board. Can any of the housing contacts throw the blinkers off or would it just be the left blinker or right blinker light sockets ?  
To answer your questions
I took a tiny screw driver and scraped the metal tabs till I could see copper and 
then pulled the tabs back just a little so they gripped the circuit board tight. The 
circuit board openings are all clean with nice copper showing and I carefully pulled
the contacts out on the bulbs so they fit snugger in the bulb housings. Might still be a 
housing or two not laying down well enough on the board but I keep moving them around 
and I have a few extra. Going to buy some bulbs tomorrow just to make sure.

No idea why the sentences are short I must have hit a key,lol

Edited by ArnieG - Aug/31/2014 at 6:20pm
Cape Cod, MA.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 10:33pm
Do the inside indicators flash when you use the emergency flashers ?
Do the instrument cluster illumination lights work correctly ? If they don't then you're missing the ground. This is the black wire on the 11 conductor round plug. This black ground wire is part of the harness and eventually connects to the single ground lug tab on the back of the headlight switch. The headlight switch also has another ground connection on the main connector plug that I believe may have a single bullet connector tying into the instrument panel harness ground circuit.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 6:26am
you beat me to that question   about the emergency flasher working and not the turn signal.   I had that happen before
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
ArnieG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArnieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 9:49am
Well ok guys, the black wire in the main harness was pulled back nice call on that one. It's all on the left side. The right directional works fine, the hazards work just on the right side for a second on the left but now nothing flashes on the left side. Have tried different bulbs etc. not sure where to go now. 

Edited by ArnieG - Sep/01/2014 at 9:54am
Cape Cod, MA.
ArnieG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArnieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 5:17pm
Took the cluster out, cleaned up contacts all around etc. and now when you put on the right directional the left flashes, when you put on the left nothing flashes and the hazard light only flashes on the left when you go to the right. Almost the opposite of what it was doing before. 
Cape Cod, MA.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2014 at 8:20pm
Do the gauges and other "regular" lights work correctly ? I mean the high beam indicator and the regular instrument lighting bulbs. Check to make sure that the connector plug is indexed properly and that all of it's contacts are in the proper position and that all the wires leading to those contacts are secure.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic