TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Leaky master cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaky master cylinder
    Posted: Oct/01/2014 at 8:26pm
Does anyone else have this issue? I cannot get this thing to stop leaking from the lid. I even swapped rubber seals, lids, retaining spring, and master cylinders. I have all of my buddy's stumped. I don't remember having this issue ever. I have already had to paint the engine bay once and now it is needing it again. Could the distribution block with the switch for the brake light be bad and causing this issue? I rebuilt it a few years ago and got the light off on the dash. It just came back on when I installed the FAST controller and got the car running again. It seems to be leaking more now.
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2014 at 7:05pm
Yea, old and new always leaked.I thought it was from rapid starts & stops..
Kapptaink View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kapptaink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2014 at 7:19pm
Mine only starts leaking at the booster every 4yrs. The master lid seals great. 70 power drum.
PrevOwned:73HornetX 360/a727 Blk/Blk-69Javelin/R/R-69AMXBlk/W-69JavelinPrimer
Kirk
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2014 at 9:12pm
I am about to do some serious work on the master cylinder. If I have to take that thing off again then I'm gonna weld a nut in the center and bolt it down. It is gonna be a bitty to paint that shock tower with a 600 lb engine 4 inches away now. It has literally stripped paint down the metal this time. Before it was softening the paint and peeling behind the wiring. Now it is just peeling paint everywhere under it.

I was wondering if that block is backing up the least pressured side up through the master and blow out the top. Am I making up crap in my head. The only thing bad on my brakes is that switch that just went bad again and the master cylinder leaking.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2014 at 9:40pm
The only time I have had leaking problems,the lid was a poor quality stamping and reforming the lid with a new gasket was what it took to cause it to quit. 

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Kapptaink View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kapptaink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2014 at 7:28am
get a detail air brush gun kit from harbor freight. that work great in tight spots.
PrevOwned:73HornetX 360/a727 Blk/Blk-69Javelin/R/R-69AMXBlk/W-69JavelinPrimer
Kirk
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2014 at 8:16am
Do the brakes seem to work OK other than the leak? It sounds to be like a pressure problem where the fluid is being forced out the top instead down one of the brake lines.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2014 at 10:35pm
The brakes work great. No issues there. I had to rebuild or clean up everything basically. I am stumped. I even had a local brake shop rebuild an original master cylinder too. No change. I think I am gonna stop by that shop on monday and see what he says. He has been doing brakes for atleast 40 years. That mess ruins my engine bays appearance. This car has been a thorn in my back ever since I got it.
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2014 at 10:55pm
Why would pressure to build under the lid,blocked or plnched brake line,stuck wheel cyclinder?
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2014 at 8:44am
Lap the top of the master cylinder flat with a stone. Also replace the bail with an original or re-bend the one you have to be tighter. the replacements are usually way too loose. New gaskets are often thinner.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic