TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Leaking Power Steering Cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2019 at 10:14pm
ha! yeah, if you stick to factory wheels, or chose aftermarket (wider) wheels that puts the tire contact patch in the right place to maintain scrub, yeah, you don't really need power steering. but i'm hardly impartial -- i truly hate 60's american-car power steering, in general.

the old Gemmer boxes are the only option, but they behave nicely. be warned there are all sorts of minor-but-annoying differences, including shaft length. check carefully.

they are easy to rebuild, and likely need rebuilding. it's ooooold! mainly there's a bushing or two that goes bad. it's actually a decent box. i run 90 weight gear oil in mine (rebuilt by me in 2011?), since this odd design has the pitman arm come out the top, it doesn't leak oil. it's a cheap rebuild, bushing, bearing, gaskets. (use Permatex Right Stuff it will never leak.)

eliminate all that weight, complexity, hoses, and oil mist under the hood!

like i said, i'm biased.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2019 at 10:21pm
Believe it or not, I have a remanufactured power steering cylinder for the 61 to 63 Americans. Got it from a guy who had it rebuilt at the OEM I think? Anyways he told me it cost him 700 bucks to get it rebuilt.

I'll sell it for 350 if you are interested... Let me know.

Email me at stummster@cox.net
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 9:56am
It would make sense to switch over to manual if you have the parts car. The steering box is the same. The inner tie rods are not. You'll have to mount an idler arm with the PS car does not have. Eyeball it and see if you can move it all over from the '62.
These cars do not need PS!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 10:02am
Opportune time to shed the 60 year old tie rod ends. 
Danno View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 5:09pm
Tom thanks once again for your valuable insight.  This is a swap I am looking forward to completing once I have a couple of the other leaks on this car under control.
Danno View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 5:16pm
Jon thank you for the offer on the cylinder.  The only thing wrong with the one I have is the rubber cushions that go under the rectangular retainers.  These are under $5 each so purchasing a rebuilt cylinder isn’t necessary for me.  However I’m betting someone out there will be happy to have a rebuilt one at your offer price.
Danno View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 5:22pm
Paul thank you for the great information.  I am hoping this swap will not entail a boatload of fabrication as my skills in that area seriously lacking.  No matter what it takes I will make sure it’s done right.........I hope.
Danno View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 5:24pm
Alberto thank you.  Seems like a very good idea.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2019 at 9:38pm
oh right, you need the 'steering link', that in later years, and most cars, is just a cast/forged chunk of iron with holes in it (for pitman and idler) and threaded ends (for tie rods). but for the early American, it's a hollow tube with spring-loaded half ball sockets. no harder than finding any other steering link, they're weird but trouble-free.

i took mine to pieces, cleaned and relubricated and reassembled. there was wear on the cups but nothing too serious, its still in service with original -- or at least, very old -- parts.

unlike later years/other cars, the early American link has built-in play for each wheel. it's a bit puzzling as to why, but since a great deal of trouble was gone to to do so, i assume it's necessary. you can "simulate" a traditional rigid steering link, by tightening the end plugs to eliminate all play, but you wont' like it, it drives /weird/. i've turned my '61 American into a fairly fast sports car, keeps up with vintage sports cars, so it's quite respectable, and the weird-seeming built-in play is in no way a detriment.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Sefsgotarambler View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sefsgotarambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2022 at 1:58pm
Thank you for the information!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic