TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Leaking Power Steering Cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking Power Steering Cylinder
    Posted: Sep/03/2019 at 2:38pm
My first post of what I’m sure will be many.  I just got my 61 American convertible.  It has a leak at the feed and return lines. Not sure if it is both lines.  If I remove these lines will all the fluid run out of the pump or cylinder?  What gasket/washer is needed for replacement and what fluid should I use?  I have the TSM but found no info on replacement parts or if the fluid will be under pressure.  Thank you for your help.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2019 at 8:30pm
With the engine off, there is no pressure. Gravity will most likely drain the pump reservoir all over you and the floor. Grab a cheap turkey baster and remove all the fluid from the reservoir before you start. That much less to spill.  Not sure who has replacement lines for the 60 year old system however. Most likely the high pressure line is a flared tube that doesnt require a seal.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2019 at 9:26pm
do you have a factory service manual? it will be invaluable if you dont!

you can have nearly any hose made. i get crimped hoses made once in a while. they're not very expensive.

if you're new to that car, get familiar with the AMC suppliers. they'll have a lot of critical repair parts. i've got a 61 american also, some parts are a challenge to find, some are easy.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2019 at 9:31pm
Like Tom says...take off the old hose, go to your local NAPA or farm parts store, have a new pressure hose made. Return hose should be easy, just ordinary hose and a couple of clamps.
I have a '62 with PS, but I know the lines were different in '61.
Make sure the big 'slave' cylinder doesn't leak. Monroe was the manufacturer. They can be rebuilt, but a replacement is hard to find.
Good luck! Hopefully your '1 finger, no road feel power steering' will be leak-free!

Paul
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2019 at 9:35pm
Just poked a bit and looks like Galvin's may have what you need.
As for the return hose, don't use fuel line. It doesn't like oil. There are hoses for transmission and power steering return.
Danno View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2019 at 1:41am
Many thanks to all for the great information.  I don’t think it is the hoses that are leaking.  I think the fittings that go into the cylinder are the problem.  Looking at the TSM, a great resource, it appears there are washers or gaskets for these fittings.  Near as I can tell from the picture in the TSM it looks like there fittings that screw into the cylinder then the hoses attach to these fittings.  Is that correct?
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2019 at 7:03am
I have the local Carquest make my hoses. Their basic hydraulic hose is 3000 psi which is at least twice what power steering needs. If I were taking it apart and the hoses were old, I would buy new. Carquest also has almost every fitting extant.

Edited by 6768rogues - Sep/04/2019 at 7:05am
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Danno View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 11:52am
Thank you Tom.  Hoping to crawl under the American today and check the problem further.  If I need new hoses I will definitely check the local auto parts stores first.
Danno View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2019 at 2:35pm
Well further inspection shows the leak is coming from the pitman arm stud that goes through the cylinder. Fluid is weeping from one corner of the top retainer and I’m guessing more is coming out when under pressure.  I was able to tighten the nut on the bottom retainer.  I just tightened to the next flat on the nut.  The top nut will not tighten at all.  I added Lucas power steering stop leak.  I’m waiting to see the result of my feeble attempts at repair.  Hoping I will not need to replace the cushions and washers under the retainers.  
Danno View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2019 at 9:24pm
While I am all for fixing the leaking cylinder I do have a 62 parts car with manual steering.  This has me thinking if it is an easy swap out to convert to manual on my 61.  I’m thinking power assisted steering really isn’t necessary in these cars and I could save some weight and maybe gain a bit of power by converting to manual steering.  Thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic