TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Leak O Matic trans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leak O Matic trans
    Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 3:25pm
Wow, just started driving my new arrival, and the trans is leaking like a ....... The strange thing is it's all over the side of the frame rail floor board passenger side. I originally thought it was the dip stick as it was under the hood. Could be the lower dipstick tube or pan gasket, only leaks after I drive it. It appears it's happening below the pan, the converter looks dry...vent where's it at? I also read somewhere TSM maybe, that some thing could be too tight out of adjustment?   Help!
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 5:39pm
Whatisit?
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Greyhounds_AMX Greyhounds_AMX wrote:

Whatisit?

Flash O Matic
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 7:23pm
If you read some of Frana's posts you will get a wealth of information on this transmission. My guess would be the fluid id overfilled and blowing out the vent on the top of the transmission case.
Overfilling and vent leaking seems to be a common condition.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 8:27pm
They also leak at the shifter shaft seal (driver side of the tranny above the pan rail) if the seal is worn or drived out.  It is basically an O-ring. They can leak at the front and rear shaft seals too, plus of course at the pan gasket.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
7TZ View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 9:00pm
I dont know if the Flash O Matic has a kickdown switch, but that was the leaking problem on my M-11. That stupid tiny O ring. Replaced it and no more leaks.
1969 AMX
2005 350Z
1970 240Z
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 9:09am
Like I said it's on the passenger side, the fluid is low so it can't be the vent. The converter area is dry....its got to be were the dipstick enters the pan or pan gasket I've ordered a new trans filter and gasket and pressure washed to maybe help with location of the leak
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 1:19pm
By flash-0-matic I assume you mean the one with an aluminum case most likely behind a six cylinder.

Did you check that the nut at the pan which holds the dip stick filler tube is tight? 
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

By flash-0-matic I assume you mean the one with an aluminum case most likely behind a six cylinder.

Did you check that the nut at the pan which holds the dip stick filler tube is tight? 

Yep and yep it's tight
InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 9:43pm
Ok....I dropped the pan, and got to looking at the dip stick tube, looked like it had a crack at the bottom where it makes the bend on the top side, so I welded it up, made a pan gasket and replaced fluid. I took it for a drive to warm it up and check fluid...added to the mark, then......looked under car and there's a puddle on the drivers side :0   Looks like it coming from above the shift linkage, Okay where's the vent located? Or maybe I just over filled it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic