TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Topic Closedlate model AMC fenders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2014 at 1:12pm
The 8" measurement also applies to the 77/78 gremlin and the 78 AMX, I have all three.
The book lists the fit as 01-40.
I would assume any fender with the 8"measurement will be interchangeable, If you use the Headlight mounting panel for your application.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2014 at 7:07am
Additional items related to Concord, Spirit, Eagle, etc. fenders.

Yes, AMC made a mistake and used the same fenders they had been using on the Concord and others on the first generation of their Eagle. They corrected the mistakes for subsequent years but in doing so made 1 year of certain parts for the Eagle rather unique. Besides the fender itself, some parts under and on the fender are different.

The different parts should include -
Different fender liners for 1980 vs. 81+ Eagle:   In using the Concord fenders, they also used a fender liner designed and sized to fit that fender shape and wheel opening. The liner is shaped to precisely fit the wheel opening to seal from debris getting between liner and fender.

Different flares 1980 Eagle vs. 81+ Eagle:  The flares for a 1980 Eagle are different from any other year Eagle due to the wheel opening size difference - but also due to another very important thing that eBay sellers spamming just to get hits by saying "fits eagle" in their posts - the 1980 Eagle did not integrate the bumper ends into the fenders! The 1980 Eagle uses the same bumper ends as the Concord!  So be AWARE and WARY of sellers saying "fits Concord and 80-88 Eagle" as that's a lot of BS. No way. It may bolt on, but you are in a pickle when it comes to finishing the car out! Other stuff oddly won't fit and you'll scratch your head wondering why... because they said "fits Eagle". A size 14 shoe will go onto my foot, too - but that doesn't mean I won't have some problems later in the day.

Different trim:  The aluminum arch shaped trim that attaches at the top edge of the fender flares on Eagles has to be different due to the different flare and wheel opening shape/size. 1980 is different from later years Eagle.

So besides the fenders for 1980 Eagle being the odd 1 year only fit for Eagle, you have to consider the fender liner, fender flare and bumper ends or corners and flare trim or edge. 
These would be different for 1980 Eagle vs. 1981 Eagle. AMC learned a few things from the 1980 model year and corrected some mistakes but in doing so, they made it so that sellers of fenders and certain other parts who say "fits Concord, Spirit and Eagle 1980-1988 are either liars or just trying to get you to look at their ad, or they honestly know too little of what they have.

1 year only for Eagle, 1980:  Fender, fender liner, fender flares, flare trim (bright aluminum, mounts at top edge of fender flare), bumper ends.
Buyer beware, seller wise up.

amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2014 at 7:53am
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

I've told this to people many times and no one ever believes it!

you must have been talking to a female...>LOL    just kidding

was nice to meet you over the weekend and the laughs and jokes were a lot of FUN
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2014 at 10:50pm
Spirit fenders will fit an SX4 until you hit a corner on a hill as AMC found out in 81 ... same for Cammback and Eagle's .  2WD fenders will bolt up . and work fine .. just stay on 100% flat pavement and only go straight ahead .
I have put regular fenders on Customers cars as that's what the swore would work ... and then came back and asked what I did to make the tires grind .... some I had to actually take and Eagle fender and put it on top of theirs and show the difference . so if anyone wants a crumpled 2 wd fender I have a few ... 
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2014 at 12:58pm
Ha - I bet you have!
They swear they'd work because that's what they have been told for years based on the fact that they WILL bolt into place (and the 1980 parts listing shows they fit)

We could also show them photos of my 100% stock (except for the engine being out so I can put a 4.0 under the hood) 1980 Eagle wagon that is a great example of how AMC probably found the error they made...
Both left and right are rolled/bent in behind the "fender flare" trim.
Looks fine from the outside, reach behind that trim and feel how the fender is folded in on both sides from turning corners.

I have to wonder-  didn't they find out when they tried to reinstall the fender liner or the flare? Even those are different. The fender flares of an 81 or later Eagle will not fit a Concord or Spirit fender. How could they have possibly put a 1981 or 82 or later fender flare on a Spirit fender? I'd love to see how they made THAT work out!
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2014 at 9:15am
billd. the flares will fit .(rubber bends) but the 1" gap between the bumper end and the flare was caused by the tow company pulling the car by the bumper .. or they shrunk from impact... some customers just won't listen . " the Book said they fit" and as I have been told the customer is always right ...Ermm 
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
amcismeagain View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2015 at 6:35pm
Gosh..............does this mean the Eagle parts car I just bought may be worth more than the $400.00 I just paid for it????
The HERD includes:
1970 BBB Mark Donohue
1973 Gremlin
1974 Gremlin X Levi's edition
1972 Jeep J4800 Camper Special w/ 454 BBC
1967 Malibu Station Wagon
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2015 at 11:33pm
Don't count on it unless it's extremely rust-free and the fenders aren't dented at all. Almost all are, and many have filler in them. The shipping is a killer, otherwise nice fenders can be hand for 50 bucks or less when you find them. I paid $35 for one that was dent-free, and rust-free and included all emblems and the flare in Kenosha last year.
If you charge like folks do on eBay, yeah, you'll get more than 400 from the parts, but if you charge like vendors at shows and swaps, no. Eagle parts on eBay are typically very over-priced. 
79redspiritgt View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2017 at 9:15am
i have a part number on a nos fender 6544992 what does it fit?
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2017 at 10:48am
I have a driver's side un-used/unpainted raw Eagle Fender that I bought for my Concord... When the wheel well trim for my Concord didn't line up... I realized I had a problem. 

I am not able to verify if it is AMC OEM or an aftermarket re-pop but it is for sale if anyone needs it. I do not want to ship it.. so if someone local wants it or can drive to me... that would be best. I believe it will get damaged if it was shipped. If there is any interest... just IM me... thanks.... 

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Dec/14/2017 at 10:51am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic