TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Topic Closedlate model AMC fenders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: late model AMC fenders
    Posted: Mar/23/2013 at 3:02pm
If you hear Concord, Spirit and Eagel fenders are the same, reference this and correct them.
FYI - Concord fenders will NOT work on Eagles if you want things to fit.
They are different dimensionally ahead of the wheel. There is a 1.5" difference.
I've not bothered to try but I suspect there are other differences where things bolt together in the front as well. The wheel well opening itself is wider front to back on Eagle. by at least an inch and a half.
Height is nearly the same.
I found out the hard way........ a VERY expensive mistake.
This is one time I should not have changed my mind.............now I am back to "no, they won't work, they are indeed different.
I've lost a whole lot of time and enough money to really toss my projects and this car off course this spring. It may not get done for summer now.
(see my desperate wanted ad.....)
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2013 at 3:25pm
IIRC the Eagle has a slightly different wheelbase than a comparable Concord, and this was disguised by opening up the front fenders and using the flares.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2013 at 5:32pm
If you have seen the lower control arms on the Eagle, I would suspect you are correct. They have quite an offset where the 2 wheel drive car control arms come almost straight out from the cross member.
Too bad I didn't really measure for myself earlier instead of just looking at them on cars.
I traced both out on a large piece of cardboard and the bulk of the difference seems to be the front below the "body line" from the marker light down.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2013 at 5:53pm
I've told this to people many times and no one ever believes it!
AMO Newsletter Editor
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2013 at 9:46am
Hollanders Classic Interchange says the '79-'80 AMX, '79-'83 Spirit, and '79-'83 Concord use the same fender. But when you go to section 1866, it has the following notes:

Note: AMX has flared wheel openings.
Note: Eagle has flared wheel openings and molded rocker panels.

AMX '79-'80.
Concord '79-'83.
Eagle '80.
Spirit (AMC) '79-'83.

Last century I took a fender off of a Concord and put it on my '80 Eagle Limited.
That is the only mention of the Eagle. But the books are 1965-1979 with only scattered mention of anything newer than 1979.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2013 at 2:17am
Oh great. Looks like I will also need two Eagle fenders as well. After researching the heck out of this interchange for the last 3 years I determined that the 81 Concord fenders were suposed to be a direct swap for an 85 Eagle except for the trim holes. Let a repairable set stay in the scrapyard and get shredded over this time as well, partly due to my Concord being the same colour as the Eagle.

Well at least this is resolved now by a good source. Also saved me alot of hassle before attempting the swap myself.

This should be a sticky.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2013 at 5:51am
I will next check my 80 Eagle wagon - it's hard to believe that the Eagle was different between 80 and 81 in wheelbase and thus fenders.
There was the difference in the trim, but to say that a fender fits a 1980 and not a 1981 of the SAME MODEL car is a bit odd. I'll measure that next.
To be safe and sure, the best bet is to simply remember -Eagle fenders are different. They are not the same as any other AMC car.

As for the wheelbase, I know the Eagle is a very short car. Even the wagon is shorter than the Javelin bumper to bumper. And in that it surprises me a bit that the Eagle wheelbase length is the reason since the control arms are swept BACK, meaning they place the wheels BACK of the crossmember, not ahead of it. This is because the differential hangs on the engine mounts BEHIND the crossmember. So sweeping the lower arms back, and since the engine mounts pretty much the same, resting directly on the crossmember, it means the wheels are further behind the engine mount points compared to other AMC cars of the time. Odd, then, that they needed more room ahead.  I would expect a shorter wheelbase in the case of the Eagle since the front wheels are behind the engine mount plane, not ahead or even with.
Whatever, in any case, the fenders for Eagle are different. I'll check the 80 if I remember to, to night.
Otherwise, just keep it as a simple rule -
Eagle != Concord or Spirit fender. 
(programmers will see that means not equal to)
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2013 at 2:05pm
When in doubt, post the question in the interchange section. My Hollanders only goes up to '79 as stated above but it has saved me some headaches over the years.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2013 at 4:00pm
The parts book says 80 Eagle & 79-83 Concord & Spirit fenders are the same part #.

The book says 81-87 Eagle fenders are the same part #. They are not the same part # as Concord Spirit fenders.

The 80 Eagle uses one year only flares & trim between the flair & fender.

Bill,  you should be able to use the Concord fender that doesn't fit your SX/4 on your 80 Eagle wagon. So its not a total loss.

I tried to post scans of the crash book with the part #'s but they wouldn't come thru clearly. I do have extras of the crash books that cover Eagle & Concord, if anyone is interested. They are cheaper than buying the wrong fender.
amcjoe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2013 at 9:47am
To confirm what others have said about '80 Concord and Eagle fenders having the same part number, here is a pic from the factory parts manual.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic