TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

L head stuck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot57rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L head stuck
    Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 9:07pm
I need to do some valve work on a 195.6 L head engine. I have all the head bolts removed (studs are still inplace). Head is not budging. Do I need to remove all the studs in order to get the head off? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!Smile 
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 9:32pm
You probably got a rust bond between the studs and the head,  you may have to double nut each stud,  and turn it maybe 1/2 turn toward loose to break that bond.
Or just take them out.
Be careful,  those studs may break easy after being in that block for decades.  Get a long breaker bar so you can control how much twist you're putting on them easily, use a steadily increasing pressure,  don't jerk them.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 5:56am
Back when I was young and didn't know any better I used a steel wedge to get the head off my first Rambler (61 American). First time the head was ever off the darn thing! Luckily I didn't damage the head or block, but I can't recommend that method except as a last resort. Try loosening r removing the studs first. I'd spray some penetrating oil around the studs and let ti soak in for a few hours before trying to loosen or remove.
Frank Swygert
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 6:41am
If everything is still connected, you can soak the studs, put the head nuts back on (just 2 flats loose) and try cranking the engine over a couple of times. Compression makes good force and better distribution of that force.
No fire in the hole - obviously. 

Edited by Lyle - Jul/18/2017 at 7:00am
hot57rambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot57rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 3:57pm
Thanks for all the advice!! 
andyleonard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 10:40am
If this isn't resolved yet, there's another way to go.

When we had a stuck head on an old Ferrari and were scared to beat or pry on anything, we loosened all the bolts way out, soaked everything with penetrating oil and hung the head from an engine hoist with a piece of chain. Just let the weight of the whole car hang from the head and in a day or 2, usually in the middle of the night, it'll let go. 
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Back when I was young and didn't know any better I used a steel wedge to get the head off my first Rambler (61 American). First time the head was ever off the darn thing! Luckily I didn't damage the head or block, but I can't recommend that method except as a last resort. Try loosening r removing the studs first. I'd spray some penetrating oil around the studs and let ti soak in for a few hours before trying to loosen or remove.

I did the same thing with my motor, though I wasn't young, it was just 8 years ago and I lucked out and didn't screw up anything.

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
hot57rambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot57rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 7:00pm
An update on my progress. I used every kind of penetrating oil known to man including acetone mixed with atf. I bought a stud remover and got the majority of them out. I unfortunately had 4 break off and the last 3 won't budge. I used compression of the engine and I can see bubbling around the studs and head gasket. My next approach will be to have the engine suspended from a hoist. Thanks again.
andyleonard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 9:59pm
Hang the head from the engine hoist and use a torch around the stud holes. You'll get it.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 6:45am
I had to use a steel wedge to get one off once -- the only flat-head AMC six I ever owned. If you can find one that is wade and only has about a 15-20 degree angle it shouldn't harm the head or block. Mine was 1.5" wide and somewhere around a 15 degree angle. Don't know where it came from, was in my grandfathers old tool box... about 6" long. Did the job though. I just worked my way around the engine, used a second steeper angle wedge (well, the end of a crow bar) a couple times just to take pressure off that one so I could move to a different point. I did it with the engine still in the car, which made finding a point to drive the wedge in difficult at best!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic