TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Knock/tick when sitting still.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knock/tick when sitting still.
    Posted: Jul/15/2019 at 6:35pm
not sure if this needs to go in engine or trans....so I'll start here in the engine forum!

65 classic. 232 auto. 

When the car warms up I get a tick or maybe even a knock. Doesn't matter if it's in park or in gear. Seems to be coming more from the passenger side of the motor, low, near where the trans bolts up.

Goes away under any kind of throttle. 

The only thing that makes sense would be possibly the torque converter bolts being loose...but it really sounds more like a faint lower end knock. 

Any thoughts or ideas?
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 3:06am
Every AMC six with an automatic transmission, whether 232, 258, or 4.0L, that I have installed makes that noise and they continue making that noise for 100,000 miles.

I have no idea what causes it. I've checked bolts, I've checked alignment, I've tried changing the clocking on the torque converter, I've replaced the flex plate. I've never had it on any engine except AMC sixes.

I hate it because people keep hearing it and saying things to me about it.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 7:00am
Check all the bolts, then drive it. If it was a rod bearing the tick wouldn't go away with rpm, it would get worse.

Since this is a shaft rocker motor, check oiling to the head. You should have a little oil draining from the back of the rocker shaft after a few minutes of idling. Might not be a lot, but should be a steady trickle at least. Take the valve cover off then crank it up -- won't spit oil everywhere, just dribble out the rear of the shaft (and maybe the front too). If you're not getting much oil out of the shaft check this out:

If the engine has been well maintained all it's life with regular oil changes you may not have an issue. Most haven't, or sitting up leaves sludge in the oil passage to the head. sometimes a good engine oil flush will fix the issue, but I recommend the head bolt mod just to be sure.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 5:02pm
If you can see oil with the oil filler cap off you should be OK but I bet you won't.
DocLong View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 9:34pm
So when I got the car it had sat for a couple decades. It would only idle and would make an awful racket. 

I pulled the shaft and cleaned everything and in the process found 4 s shaped pushrods. They were replaced with melling parts and everything was reassembled. I started it up and was getting plenty of oil up top. 

That was 500 miles ago...in that time I've done a NOS carb, rebuilt fuel pump, restored gas tank and about 4 oil changes. 

I can still see plenty of oil when I remove the filler cap so I don't believe that's a problem. It really doesn't sound like a rod knock, more of a wobble. 

It's definitely low on the passenger side of the motor about where the trans meets the engine.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 10:38pm
The flex plate that the T/C gets bolted to is prone to cracking. 

I have a spare T/C that is really worn on the shaft part that goes into the transmission. I never saw it run so don't know if that would cause a noise.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic