TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Key won't turn off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Key won't turn off
    Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 4:23pm
Needed to move the 74 Hornet hatchback out of the way to stain the fence this morning.

Had not been started for about a month. (2) things immediately went wrong.

Always have to pump the gas a bunch of times after it has been setting. I apparently jammed the gas pedal down to hard, it started up and stuck at full throttle, but here's the kicker, the key in the ignition would not turn off. I jumped out, removed the air cleaner and put my hand over the carb to kill the engine. I got the throttle linkage to return to the normal position.

The key will not return to the off position, so I disconnected the battery to not burn the points. This column has the lever that you depress to turn the key off and remove the key, but nothing seems to work to get the key to turn to the off position.

Anyone have a solution before I pull the steering wheel off and get into the column?
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 4:53pm
put in reverse

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 5:17pm
Try moving the steering wheel, it probably is jamming the lock on the ignition switch.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
53w View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 7:38pm
Bad news, fix it correctly or it could turn into a darwin adward ride. I involved in 2 run away 440 rides. One charger in the country we pulled wires for fuel pump to stop it at about 150mph. That was bad driver panic and locked up mentally. me and my other buddy ripped all wire out from under dash until we hit fuel pump wires. Other one was 440 trail blazer in town. We did a back yard free for all for about 3 blocks until we got hung up on swing set and jumped out and pulled coil wire. Both 100% preventable owners did not fix known problems.

Edited by 53w - Aug/22/2016 at 7:45pm
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2016 at 12:36am
That is exactly why it's a great idea to include a fuel pump kill switch as well as an ignition interrupt.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2016 at 8:30am
It's a fact of life that stuff happens.  To have a true runaway you have to have an uncontrollable throttle and uncontrollable ignition.  After watching a Wagoneer go through the uncontrollable throttle phase I decided that if I ever got in that situation I'd kick it in neutral and let the engine grenade before I ran over some child.

As to Pat's problem, sounds like a mechanical failure of the switch.  If the switch were torque locked with the wheel I doubt he would have gotten it started in the first place.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2016 at 8:39am
As the car ages and the ignition switch gets worn from multiple car starts if the steering wheel is turned in such a way that there is pressure applied to the locking mechanism, trying to relieve the pressure by moving the steering wheel one way or another depending on when it was last moved will allow the locking mechanism to unlock and let the key be removed.
In a moment of slight panic almost anything can happen. Specially when you are messing with what is probably a 40+ year old car. And if moving the steering wheel because it is bound up does not help? Then it was something else!
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2016 at 11:26am
Very seldom have I seen a ignition switch fail so it will not turn, more often the contacts are worn and cause an electrical problem. I often see the tumbler assembly have worn internal parts that break and jam it so it will not move. Unfortunately you need to remove the wheel and lock plate to get to the tumbler assy.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

Very seldom have I seen a ignition switch fail so it will not turn, more often the contacts are worn and cause an electrical problem. I often see the tumbler assembly have worn internal parts that break and jam it so it will not move. Unfortunately you need to remove the wheel and lock plate to get to the tumbler assy.

I agree.  I should have been more specific, the lock asembly is typically the culprit, not the switch itself.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2016 at 9:23pm
ahem, what you have just witnessed is the real deal, the infamous AMC "GREMLIN" in action. Duck, take cover, run!...until it goes away. :) good luck, gz
george z
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic