TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Key Won’t Turn Engine Over - Update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Key Won’t Turn Engine Over - Update
    Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 5:38pm
1970AMX
So here’s what I know:
1) I have excellent ground from battery to direct to engine, from engine to cross member
2) the neutral safety switch is working properly with good ohm signal
3) the safety switch wiring (solid grn grn w/tracer) has good continuity and ohm signal
4) the starter engages and engine turns over with a direct jump from battery side to starter side of solenoid
5) the starter engages and the engine turns over when I jump from the battery side to the “S” male jack on solenoid ( key was not on therefore engine did not fire up, which is what I wanted)

So, this is what I believe is NOT occurring:
1) bypassing the neutral safety switch, I’ve jumpered from the solid grn to grn w/tracer connector on the wiring harness side
2) turning key to ‘start’, I have NO power/voltage at the grn w/tracer wire which connects to the “S” on solenoid.

Thus, no power/voltage to the “S” terminal means no power to starter side of solenoid

Here’s my question: does the ignition relay (new) attached to the steering column under dash have an adjustment that would cause a lack of connector contact in the mechanism between the grn and grn w/tracer wire?

Have I missed or overlooked something? 🤔. I trust I’ve been thorough in my steps taken so far. If Pix are needed, I can attach.

Now the humour: my car won’t start ; what could be the problem?..🤪

Thanks guys.    Greg

Edited by Someassemblyrqd - Sep/17/2018 at 9:10pm
Greg E.
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 6:59pm
Greg, "..does the ignition relay (new) attached to the steering column.." "(new)"; start there. There is a little adjustment. Make sure the actuating rod is correctly located in the slider on the switch also.
Mike
Someassemblyrqd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2018 at 7:15pm
Update: lowered the steering column to get to the ignition relay. After looking at my old relay (never throw anything away), I confirmed there are elongated slots where the relay attaches to the column. I adjusted 1/16", confirmed power to the grn wire.

45 minutes later, turned the key and she came to life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dortp1KiP-E

I'm rebuilding my AMX on my own, like a one arm paper hanger, simple things get tough. I do my best to figure it out myself, but there are times, as we all can relate to.    To that, I have to give a tremendous 'thank you' to those individuals who have provided insight from their years of knowledge.

Greg

Edited by Someassemblyrqd - Sep/17/2018 at 8:54pm
Greg E.
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2018 at 7:35pm
I love happy endings.....
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic