TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Upcoming Shows and Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Kenosha Homecoming 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 67>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 5:37pm
The guys put on a great show! Thanks to everyone for coming and making this such a great experience!

I just crossed into South Carolina so almost 3000 miles and counting! What a great AMC trip so far!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 9:37pm

First off let me say that this was a great show!!   It was awesome to meet all the forum members that I have talked with here.  Thanks to everyone that stopped by to chat and also pick up a few parts from Joe and myself.   We both appreciate it!!

Joe and I packed up a little late after the show field was just about empty and had everything set for an early departure for our 12 hour trip back to NY.  I got the AMX in the trailer and just as I went to shut it off I heard a small bang!   Not knowing what it might have been I tried to restart the car to see if there might be an issue.  I turned the key and nothing happened.  I tried a few more times with the same results.   I thought at least the car was in the trailer so it would be something I could deal with when I got home.  We got off to an early start to get through any potential traffic in Chicago and that went as planned.    After a quick stop for an egg and bacon breakfast we were on our way…..I don’t remember exactly where but a few hours in to the trip we had the first adventure unfold when….BANG!   Right rear trailer tire was history .  There was a 3” hole in the tire wall when we stopped. 

We had no choice but to change it on the spot but unfortunately the best spot we could find was also a patch of poison Ivy that happened to also be infested with Ticks!!   Lucky for me they liked Joe more than me!!    As the semi’s blew by at 70MPH we managed to risk life and limb and got the spare on.  Joe can take credit for most of the work while I stood guard and kept one eye on the traffic.   We had to do some creative blocking to get the trailer up high enough since we were on the shoulder and it was a fair incline.    Hot and sweaty we were off and running again…..as we traveled you could see the sky was getting darker and darker…..we hit some rain but it was refreshing after the ticks and poison ivy!!   We managed to outrun the rain and were soon looking to stop for gas.   I remember checking the info on the truck computer and it said we had a little over 50 mile range left……Well I missed the fuel exit!!   That didn’t really matter much as we suddenly heard another not so good rumble from the trailer and realized we had just lost another tire!!    This time it was the trailer front passenger tire!   Another blow out!    Good thing I had two spares.   We had this one out and installed in 15 minutes as Joe and I are now very experienced at highway tire changes….   We jump back in the truck…grateful that we had beat the rain and not gotten crushed by a semi or half awake driver leftover from a long Saturday night of partying .  We’re once again on the way home.   After all that excitement I almost forgot all about the gas but that thursty truck of mine started blinking and dinging the low fuel bell.    Now it was starting to rain again when we reached the next fuel stop.   I have a 26 gallon tank and it took 25.6 to fill it up!!   Close uh?     Now the real fun starts,  I believe that someone tilted lake Erie like a giant swimming pool and dumped it on I-90….I have never in my life seen that much water falling and flying as we crept along.   On a few occasions a truck or nutty car would blow by and send a wave pouring over the truck like it was shooting the curl at Wiamia bay!!   I would have liked some beach boys music about then but I was more concerned about the hail that was now peppering the truck and trailer and the continuing downpour that was keeping our progress at a mere 45-50 MPH.     At some point we also managed to lose the roof vent on the trailer  leaving plenty of room for a free car wash of the AMX and everything else in the trailer.    Being seasoned travelers Joe and I sat back and limped the last 150 miles back to Niagara and pulled in a few hours later than expected.   We transferred Joe’s parts to his trusty wagon and he was off for another 50 mile trip to his place.    The one bright spot here is that today I unloaded the AMX found that the probable cause was just the neutral safety switch needing some attention. 

My guess is that I have raised some questions in a few if your minds about my preparedness for such disasters  as this.   The trailer is relatively new (2008) the tires are …( were) also pretty new also ( 2010)   Tread was about 80- 90 % inflated to exactly the correct amount off air.   I carry two spares after learning the hard way when I lost a tire a few years ago.  (also on the way to an AMC show!)   I carry plenty of wood blocks and tools including a floor jack.   I was a Boy Scout…( Be Prepared)…. .and a Marine…. I’ve been through worse but this one will stick with me for a long, long time!    I’ll get some new rubber on the rig….I’ll load up the AMX and be ready again for the next road trip!! 

Chuck Page

Edited by sidewinder - Jul/28/2014 at 9:45pm
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

UNFORD View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UNFORD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 9:48pm
Great show this year! The following link is for the pictures I took all week long..

Mark Melvin
AMO #8858
socalamx.net
playmateamx.com

SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 9:58pm
What a Story.. glad you 2 experienced Warhorses made your way throught all that Mess.

So you add a Weedwhacker and Tickrepelent to your Equipment? Wink

TrailerTires blew... When the Trailer sits a long Time they stand on one Spot,
add some UV radiation, and the Potholes with their sharp Edeges to all that...

I have never seen so much Tire Debris and Karkasses a sides of the Road as in the US...
And so many PPL changeing their Tires along the Road as in the Last Days.

I helped a Guy at a ServiceStation yesterday, kinda like
Apply your ParkingBrake,
use your BodyWeight on the Socketwrench,
and CHECK your SpareTire Preassure at the FuelStation 50ft away,
and look in the Manual for the right Preassure...
These EmergencyTires need some more ...
He asked why he should check the Preasure.. the Wheel is unused...
but sittin in the Trunk for Ages...

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 9:59pm
Mark,
Thanks for posting the photos.
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 10:00pm
To all our Kenosha hosts - thank you for great memories and fun!

May I be so bold to say that an event like this shows that awards and judging do little as far as hobby enjoyment is concerned? I saw nothing but relaxed smiles. That's the way I like to see our hobby. Make the car as nice as you can considering our dwindling resources, and enjoy the friendships!

See you in 2017 in Kenosha!
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 10:08pm
Tony, are you actually driving that beautiful AMX all that way or are you trailering it?

Holy cow, Chuck... what a trip!

Edited by CamJam - Jul/28/2014 at 10:15pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by kcsamc kcsamc wrote:

To all our Kenosha hosts - thank you for great memories and fun!

May I be so bold to say that an event like this shows that awards and judging do little as far as hobby enjoyment is concerned? I saw nothing but relaxed smiles. That's the way I like to see our hobby. Make the car as nice as you can considering our dwindling resources, and enjoy the friendships!

See you in 2017 in Kenosha!

Ken you said it well. Kenosha is so pure and a true celebration and it would be ruined with awards and trophies.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 11:18pm
You cant count Fun, when it comes in large Doses....

Btw I wasnt the only AMC Addicted from Europe, I ran into 2 Groups from Norway,
a Couple from Sweden and a Belgian.

I was told Saturday a Guy from my Hometown was looking for me...

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 11:33pm
Holger,
I spent 2 years (72-74) in Germany. I was in the U.S. Army stationed in Heidelberg at Patton Barracks.
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 67>
  Share Topic