TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

K &.N "Carburetor Injection"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Its very interesting concept, but way overpriced in my book.
Ollie

i think you're right and that will end that.

i have to change jets when i spend time above 5000 feet. that's a PITA. but yeah...
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by AMXRWB AMXRWB wrote:

Little early for you people to post a April fools joke.  

nahh, it's never too early!

but the joke may be on them, it's probably just too expensive as a "fix up" device.

we'll see wont we... or maybe we wont, which will mean something too.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Gisulf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gisulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 4:22pm
Thanks for letting us know about this, but 700 Gringo dollars! I'm not sure my whole CAR is worth that much at the moment.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

....i have to change jets when i spend time above 5000 feet. that's a PITA. but yeah...

My 500 Edelbrock just needs tweaking at altitude, as does the timing.
I don't need to change rods or jets. I always carry my vacuum gauge and I have a tee plumbed in the vacuum line.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 5:58pm
I agree , neat idea but to expensive.... 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 6:25am
Same impression as others -- too expensive. Maybe the turbo crowd will like it though... need extra fuel at higher boost. Drop the price to about $400 or less and I think it might sell, but at $700 I'll go with a full EFI system. Does anyone really have enough in a carb that it's worth adding another $700 to to make it better? Junkyard EFI can be cobbled together for that money, and as stated, some of the newer TBI systems aren't much more. 
Frank Swygert
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 7:43am
Vortech Superchargers had an old 2 barrel supplemental fuel injector kit for a Supercharged TBI kit in the late 80's early 90's that I used to own. As a dumb kid... I thought it was great and I was going to use it on my Caprice TBI but I later sold it after I realized that the whole thing wasn't even going to make a lot of power! Anyway... it had a vacuum referenced computer to activate the two additional fuel injectors under boost. It was nothing more than an on/off switch. The computer was made by Haltech. The supplementary fuel injection pod/plate also mounted underneath the throttle body. It was a one trick pony for Vortech as they never made anything like that again... but other companies did make supplemental fuel injection kits during the 90's-early 2000's time period that were designed in the same manner. This is not a new idea. I can see that this would actually work quite well under the right conditions... especially on an engine where there is a power adder installed. The main problem with something like this is that technology has come so far now that there are already 4 barrel throttle bodies and carbs that feed 1000hp by themselves. I am pretty sure not a lot of guys wouldn't even need this unless it was for a very a specific application operating under a very specific set of conditions.     

There are some pictures from my old sale thread on Third Gen...

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-drivetrain-suspension-parts/420411-vortech-tbi-supercharger-kit.html

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Feb/20/2018 at 7:47am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 6:32am
Sort of like a nitrous feed plate... but smart! I don't see the K&N product lasting long, even if it was more reasonably priced. Half EFI might be a bit better than a carb, but I don't see it as enough better to be worth doing, even at a $300-400 price point.
Frank Swygert
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 9:20am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Sort of like a nitrous feed plate... but smart! I don't see the K&N product lasting long, even if it was more reasonably priced. Half EFI might be a bit better than a carb, but I don't see it as enough better to be worth doing, even at a $300-400 price point.

Totally agree. IMO.... this is a niche product... very few people are going to need something like this unless they need it for a very specific application...
bug breath View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bug breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 9:22am
Hey Tom,   Tough crowd.     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic