TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

K &.N "Carburetor Injection"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: K &.N "Carburetor Injection"
    Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 8:35pm
OMFG this is brilliant... if it's done right. it's so obvious i'm mad at myself for not thinking of it!!

https://www.knfilters.com/eci

yup, it's crazy, and it only serves a tiny niche, but most of us here are right in the middle of that niche.

this thing adds a plate with an injector under the carb, and based upon feedback from the (provided) O2 sensor, enriches the mixture. it's the easy part of EFI, skipping all of the hard parts (idle, enrichment under load, choke/warmup, etc).

in my case, i'd set my carb on the lean side of acceptable, and let this thing manage the 90% case; all warmed up road driving and highway cruise. choke, idle, pedal squirt, etc, that stuff is easy to nail down with a decent carb.

of course complete conversion to EFI is better in all sorts of ways, this isn't a replacement for that. but it's potentially a huge boon for carbed cars. 

i'm a perfect candidate; i have a new Weber 38/38 but i just battle tuning low speed to high speed changeover, and the large altitude changes i'm always driving (sea level to 8000 feet) no carb can do.

anyone tried it? it's new...

sorry if i sound like i'm shilling for K&M. i'm not, and though i have one of their aif filters, who cares? they're air filters.

of course this is marketed for 4 barrels, as always i assume id fab my own base adapter. what else is new.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 10:25pm
Cool idea. The base plate for a 2 barrel would be simple enough. No mention of fuel pressure requirements, just tap into existing fuel supply? I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out for you. (You did say you had one on order, didn't you?)
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 10:50pm
intersting idea, keep us updated if you try it. 
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 12:37am
Cool. One more piece of modern technology that I won't be installing on any cars of mine. Everybody else can have at it. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 11:36am
Little early for you people to post a April fools joke.  
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Cool. One more piece of modern technology that I won't be installing on any cars of mine. Everybody else can have at it. 

Its very interesting concept, but way overpriced in my book.

I am running a 4 barrel on my 232 and will be running the same set up on my upcoming 258 build. I carry a vacuum gauge and set my carb when the altitude requires. Part of hot rodding.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 5:26pm
It is an interesting concept. All the aftermarket EFI systems are, especially the self-learning ones. It's just something I don't want on my own cars because it defeats part of my purpose for owning those cars. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 8:14pm
It is interesting. There is a similar product out there for ATVs and dirt bikes called DIAL-a-JET. It does the same thing. If the price was $200-$300 I think it would be easier for people to want to have it. Considering it is in the same price range as the new 2v EFI that was just released, I'm curious to see how well it sells. Biggest draw being that you only have to add another full line to it from your existing system might just sinch it for some folks. No electric fuel pump, larger fuel lines and no adding a fuel return line...
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by ramblin64sw ramblin64sw wrote:

Cool idea. The base plate for a 2 barrel would be simple enough. No mention of fuel pressure requirements, just tap into existing fuel supply? I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out for you. (You did say you had one on order, didn't you?)

HA! i wish... lol.

yes -- the value of the thing REQUIRES accepting carb low-pressure fuel -- heck if i gotta do the plumbing, i'lll put in full EFI.

also at $700, vs $1200 for the new Holley system, it more be better to just pay the 500 and ditch the carbie.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

hey better watch your language this is a family joint. someone will think you like old technology or something.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic