TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Just looking for some opinions/insight.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2014 at 9:42am
90/10 is a drag racing shock and should not be used on the street. It is a measurement of extension/compression. It will pull apart fast, front to raise up to move weight to the rear to plant the rear tires. It will be hard to push together so the weight will stay on the rear tires longer.

Saw bar- yes to remove weight so the front will come up faster but to also let it come up more. I found on my factory stock 75 v8 Gremlin the sway bar did not make any difference other than when you wanted to make a turn at speed like at the first turn off at end of strip.

Shocks, 6 cly front springs in a v8 car, sway bars front or rear are all things you need to test to see what works best for you.
I would say get this book so you can get an understanding of setting up a drag car and what changes do to it. http://www.amazon.com/Door-Slammers-The-Chassis-Book/dp/0963121707
From day 1 out with the car run a log book. Use this so you know what changes worked or not but more than anything after you have some runs if you don’t get any or only 1 pass of practice before racing you can look up what the car ran before at the conditions you have now and use that as a “best guess” dial in.

BTW as nice as it is to say “my car runs xx.xx at the strip” you do not need to run fast to run brackets and most of the time slower cars do better round to round. So I build mine to “run the number” all the time.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2014 at 10:27am
My 75 Gremlin was a stock v8 factory car and I did not want to turn it into a full on drag car as I was building one. I did replace the stock v2 carb for a Holley v2 (loocks stock) with the air cleaner installed, a shift kit in the 998 auto, Lock Right locker (replaces spider gears) with stock 2.87 gear. I did clamp the front of the springs to try and stop wheel hop but it was still there. Car would run between 16.0 (cool days) – 16.50 (hot days) and because I ran brackets I would run against 12.0 or little less cars and could go a few rounds.

Now my drag car is a full on never to see street race car. It is gutted in side, just have the dash frame & column, 70 Javelin. It has glass front fenders, F/R glass bumpers, glass rear valance. I still run all the factory glass and can roll them up/down if I want. I added a scoop to the stock steel hood and is sealed to pull in cool air. Batt is in the trunk with fuel cell, know you have to have a metal fire wall between trunk and passenger area with the cell & batt in trunk and you need a batt cut off switch. Also out back a Holley blue elect. Pump & Fram filter.
I run 90/10 front shocks, 6 cly springs no front sway bar. Everything bushing & joint was replaced before I hit the track. Out back new stock leaf springs, off the shelf the shelf gas shocks and a must have Cal-trac bars.
I use the stock AMC 20 rear with another must have Mosers axles, Detroit Locker with 4.56 gear (should have gone with 4.11) and run a 28x9x15 M/T slick and stock steel 14” front wheel/tires.

I started with a 304 and why the 4.56 gear out back but now run a junk yard 360. I say junk yard because it was pulled from a 74 Jeep I was given for the TH400 trany that I will get to. I pulled it apart did a drive way wash, measure and replaced all bearings but cam (no money or time for it), cleaned the piston ring slots and installed new rings (large end gaps) and installed Comp Cams 280H cam. This was the largest lift cam that could be used without machine work. Had a set of 291C heads (valves move in the guides) that I installed the cam kit springs and used roller rockers from the 304. I also used the Eldy Torker intake w/1” spacer and Holley HP DP650 and now HP DP 750 carb. And goes out Hooker super comp 1-7/8 headers. I still use the stock water pump & ALT with belt drive.
Motor hooks to a AMC TH400 from the Jeep and converted to 2 wheel drive for my car. The converter is a too high stall custom built for the 304 motor. Plan to build a bigger motor to work better with the converter someday. Trany has a shift kit rev man. Valve body and matching shifter.

Nothing really works together, cam with converter with rear gear, etc. so it is not that fast time wise. Best time I have run is 12.8 only once. I dial 13.5 most of the time and adjust up/down from there.
http://cars.grantskingdom.com/index.php/70-Javelin-Racecar
I am no expert but if I can help let me know.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
WdotDynamite View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WdotDynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2014 at 4:52pm
Thanks for all the great info, being we have very similar cars I might look to you for some help in the future if you don't mind.
Lou Abernathy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lou Abernathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 9:34pm
    PAINT
see next msg.....this one posted blank....
can't delete it
to moderator...pls delete this msg

Edited by Lou Abernathy - Jul/23/2014 at 8:58pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lou Abernathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 9:51pm
         PAINT >
IF, and only if,  car is ORIGINAL paint....it's lacquer (acrylic)....See CAUTION below.

Ideally, it should be primered (lacquer primer), but for a "cover it up" job >
If original paint is  good, you can sand it lightly and shoot a lacquer color over it....But if rusty, only choice is sand it off.

Lacquer is easy to spray....as easy as primer....and not that expensive.....( Harbor Freight on-sale gun is $10)

Pre-thinned Lacquer is available in quarts from Autozone ($20 / qt, "Dupli-Color Paint Shop"), in a dozen colors.
It may also be available from Carquest.

For a Javelin, you would probably need somewhere around 8 quarts (minimum)

For OEM color, "Restoration Shop" (California) has lacquer matched to OEM color (which is almost always "metallic")
But Restoration Shop is expensive.....$200 for gallon, plus you need thinner from local paint shop ($30 to $50 for gallon)

Stripes:....original SST should have stripes....which you want to keep if you can.... Mask them off...it's worth time spent
You also have chrome scripts ("SST..Javelin"  etc). These are very easy to break if you try to remove them.
Body shops have a jell that you can use on scripts to block paint.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CAUTION:.....If car has been repainted, it's often enameled.... You can't successfully paint lacquer over enamel.

Sometimes, cheap panel repairs are done with enamel. Look for nice shiny paint vs dull lacquer.

If you can't verify lacquer, for a drag car, it's best go to a cheap paint shop,  and let them enamel it
 ($400 or so)....For a work-on-it car, enamel is far more scratch resistant.
PS: Any spray paint has temperature requirements, which may be hard to meet at times in Ohio 

Edited by Lou Abernathy - Jul/23/2014 at 9:30pm
flboatman1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flboatman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2014 at 8:40pm
first of all the bracket racing here in fl. for money is on 1/8 mile tracks, so if you are setting up car for bracket racing set for the 1/8 mile. If you are running a chry. 360 if you build it right you should be able to run around 7.oo in 1/8 that's around 11.00 in 1/4. I just sold a 72 dart with a 360 and 904 trans and 8/3/4 rear with 488 gears ran 7.00 1/8 mi. Good Luck Gary
WdotDynamite View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WdotDynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 9:12am
Yea we race 1/4 mile here, and that's what we will be setting the car up for. We have a few 1/8 mile tracks around but our home track is 1/4 mile unless your in "Super Pro."
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2014 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Lou Abernathy Lou Abernathy wrote:

PAINT >
IF, and only if,  car is ORIGINAL paint....it's lacquer (acrylic)....See CAUTION below.

If original paint is  good, you can sand it lightly and shoot a lacquer color over it....But if rusty, only choice is sand it off.

Lacquer is easy to spray....as easy as primer....and not that expensive.....( Harbor Freight on-sale gun is $10)

Pre-thinned Lacquer is available in quarts from Autozone ($20 / qt, "Dupli-Color Paint Shop"), in a dozen colors.

For OEM color, "Restoration Shop" (California) has lacquer matched to OEM color (which is almost always "metallic")
But Restoration Shop is expensive.....$200 for gallon, plus you need thinner from local paint shop ($30 to $50 for gallon)

Stripes:....original SST should have stripes....which you want to keep if you can.... Mask them off...it's worth time spent
You also have chrome scripts ("SST..Javelin"  etc). These are very easy to break if you try to remove them.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CAUTION:.....If car has been repainted, it's often enameled.... You can't successfully paint lacquer over enamel.

Sometimes, cheap panel repairs are done with enamel. Look for nice shiny paint vs dull lacquer.

If you can't verify lacquer, for a drag car, it's best go to a cheap paint shop,  and let them enamel it
PS: Any spray paint has temperature requirements, which may be hard to meet at times in Ohio
Lou, Think you have that a little backwards on our cars being painted in acrylic lacquer. Pretty sure they were done in acrylic enamel. AMC would NOT have buffed out all the cars to make them shine. Also want to say the door data plate shows it to be done in acrylic enamel.

You are right “You can't successfully paint lacquer over enamel” because the enamel will lift.
Now days I don’t even know if you can get acrylic lacquer paint, I know you can get primer as that is what I have been using on my car so far. I also have been painting over it with single stage acrylic enamel paint with hardner with no issues.

All paint or should say thinner/reducer has a temp range to be used in where ever you use it.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lou Abernathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2014 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Originally posted by Lou Abernathy Lou Abernathy wrote:

PAINT >

Lou, Think you have that a little backwards on our cars being painted in acrylic lacquer. Pretty sure they were done in acrylic enamel. AMC would NOT have buffed out all the cars to make them shine. Also want to say the door data plate shows it to be done in acrylic enamel.

You are right “You can't successfully paint lacquer over enamel” because the enamel will lift.
Now days I don’t even know if you can get acrylic lacquer paint, I know you can get primer as that is what I have been using on my car so far. I also have been painting over it with single stage acrylic enamel paint with hardner with no issues.

All paint or should say thinner/reducer has a temp range to be used in where ever you use it.
Dave ----
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lou Abernathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2014 at 9:11pm
      PAINT (more)
Interesting discussion.....(probably should be moved to another forum)   (Attn: moderator)

Bottom line is....enamel is a safe way to go.....especially for a drag car (but not easy to do)

I really struggled with lacquer / enamel 25 years ago...over original AMC paint  on '71 Javelin.
Five coats of lacquer still look good today....no cracking or lifting (it was also lacquer primed)

However, per Chilton, AMC paint code suffix "A" (as last letter), indicates acrylic ENAMEL.
From PPG repaint book (unfortunately doesn't specify OEM type of paint), but does have codes >         
          for '66 - '68 all AMC paint codes are suffixed "A"  ie: ENAMEL
          for '69 - '72 no paint codes are suffixed by "A"
          for '73, three colors  are listed both with and without "A"....C8A...E1A...E5A & C8..E1..E5
          for '74, only E1A is suffixed "A"

Beyond '74, it gets confusing, as letters A thru Z are sometimes used.

Above is by no means the final answer.   I still remember crossing my fingers because there wasn't a really clear answer. I did have some other sources, but don't remember where...probably Web.

PAINT (OEM)
Final answer.....ENAMEL
Door tag for '60s & '70s says "ACRYLIC ENAMEL"  (several sites show door tags)    http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc_metal_door_tag.htm

How I got away with lacquer over  '71  A5A enamel.....escapes my memory.
Do know Javelin sits in garage looking as nice as 25 years ago. No flaws (and it's definitely lacquer)

Best guess is I used  "sealer" undercoat.....which would explain why I do remember crossing my fingers.

My long-time body shop neighbor probably tipped me that sealer 'could' allow lacquer over enamel (but ONLY OEM enamel, not repaint or repair enamel)

But, I  wouldn't suggest lacquer over sealer....when the local production shop does enamel and eliminates the risk and work for you.

Edited by Lou Abernathy - Aug/07/2014 at 10:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic