TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Just curious, struts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas Transit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2014 at 3:08pm
Frank you are absolutely correct, in fact on the later suspensions, whether they be AMC, Ford or others, you actually have a GREATER load on that shock tower when using the spring on top of the upper A frame, because you now have a leverage multiplier going into the spring tower instead of just straight corner weight.

But again, my MAIN concern is the forward stresses on the "sheet metal" frame rails, I think some people would really be surprised to see just how much force is exerted at the steering box and idler points when a car is put through it's paces.

By running a rack that is bolted to the Engine crossmember you move those stress points WELL back into the frame section MUCH closer to the beefier part of the shock towers.

Sure, they worked fine when new, BUT add 50 years of stressed sheet metal, maybe a bit of rust and scale, and larger, grippier radial tires and better brakes, and I see a problem.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!, lol

Edited by Kansas Transit - Oct/31/2014 at 3:19pm
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2014 at 3:52pm
Sorry, I was thinking it was a later ball joint car.

Originally posted by Kansas Transit Kansas Transit wrote:

I think some people would really be surprised to see just how much force is exerted at the steering box and idler points when a car is put through it's paces.

... likewise through the steering knuckle, control arms and frame attachment points. If the part of the frame where the steering box and idler arm mounts are questionable, the remainder may be too?

If upgrading, still like the idea of using the new Mustang control arm with appropriate mounts rather than trying to adapt to stock parts.
Kansas Transit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas Transit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2014 at 4:29pm
The reason I would try and use existing AMC lower is because you will not have much room at the top of the tower to install an adjustable bearing plate, and without that you are not going to be able to adjust caster.

With the stock lower arm AND the factory strut rod you retain caster adjustability, your camber adjustments are made at the spindle strut mounting point.

Also it keeps your track width similar, the Mustang lower arms will ADD two inches (1" per side appox.) to your track width.

If worried about strength I can easily box the stock lower arm to prevent twisting forces, just some of the things I see, by no means am I saying they are gospel.

I DO appreciate the comments, never know when someone will bring something into the conversation that you didn't think of!

Stan
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2014 at 3:53pm
I used a sn-95 rack on my Javelin. It was a little too wide so I cut some off each end and rethreaded the ends. I would look into getting the front clip off a Mustang and use whatever you need from it to bolt on the stock Mustang parts to your frame. In order to get all these parts to work well in your chassis you need to figure out where they were mounted originally on a Mustang. If I was going that far I would weld the Mustang mounting points onto the Javelin frame. With this done you will be able to use completely stock Mustang parts in the future if you need to repair or replace something. This will also open up the aftermarket and stock Mustang brake upgrade options in the future. I adapted 13" 2013 Mustang brakes on my Javelin and did so in a way that makes future replacement of these stock parts pretty easy and cheap. Making custom, one off suspension parts might be an issue later if you damage one.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas Transit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2014 at 5:29pm
Hey Rich, Thanks for the pic, I would like to TRY and keep the Javelin lower arm and strut rod, I think I can modify an SN95 Ball Joint to fit into the lower AMC arm, and then I can use that spindle and strut into the stock tower.

That spindle will allow me to use all sn95 brakes and rack.

I am sitting here waiting on patch panels and body parts, may try and get some suspension pieces together this week.

Thanks again,

Stan
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2014 at 6:50am
One thing Richard didn't mention -- he's using Pacer steering arms (the arms the tie rod bolts to). Unless I'm mistaken the SN-95 Mustang rack is the same (except for width) as other Ford racks. There are several lengths of tie-rod ends. I'm using a T-bird turbo coupe rack and I think Contour tie rod ends. I had to shorten my ends a bit, but they were threaded enough that cutting 1/2" or so off each didn't require more threads.

The ball joint shouldn't be a big issue. I bet the only difference is the taper on the joint. If the Javelin ball joint will fit the SN-95 strut lower end (or rather the steering knuckle/spindle end) you should be good to go. You can get tools to ream the tapered hole if the Javelin has the older smaller taper (less angle). Speedway Motors sells them, and I bet Jegs and Summit too. I know there was a change from the steep angle to a lesser angle at some point in the late 60s or early 70s. IIRC the early one can be reamed to fit the late, but I might have it backwards.

I made my steering arms from square tubing. It takes a lot of work! I figured out all the steering geometry necessary and made everything. I've got a PDF file of the complete process if you're interested.

The rack has to be mounted so that the tie rod ends follow the exact same arc as the lower A arms. The tie rods have to be parallel to the lower arms. So mount the rack up close to the oil pan (leave about a 1/4" gap) then make the tie rod ends parallel with the rack. You do this with a spacer kit (bump steer kit) at the steering arm end or my making custom arms. Or in your case getting some Pacer arms. If you use the stock Javelin arms it will work, but you'll have the turning radius of a school bus, and not the short one! I did that at first. Making a right turn into a driveway was a three point turn, making a left turn (across a lane) was as tight as it would go. The inner tie rod ends need to be at the pivot points of the lower arms -- pivot of the inner tie rod ends needs to be the same width as between the pivot bolts on the crossmember.

If you don't have everything parallel and the right width rack you will get bump steer. Every time a wheel hits a bump it will steer in or out some, depending on how far off you are. I have just a little bump steer -- just enough to feel, but not enough to be an issue. Can only feel it with a lot of suspension movement, can't tell on a smooth road at all, even with aggressive driving. You may not be able to get it all out, but close will be good enough. Bump steer is only an issue if it's rather severe. If you bear in mind the placement tips above and get close you will be good to go. Many factory installations have a little bump steer.

Edited by farna - Nov/05/2014 at 7:02am
Frank Swygert
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2014 at 8:42am
I didn't mention the Pacer arms this time because I figured he was useing whatever came with the Mustang struts since there would be no AMC spindle mount to bolt onto. The Pacer arms have a much smaller tie rod hole and you can buy the drill bit for about $40. I ended up drilling mine out to 5/8" and used ball ends. He probably does not need to do any of this if he uses the rack that fits his struts. My rack has 14mm threads on the ends.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas Transit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2014 at 8:59am
Your right the rack ends WOULD fit the spindle being all sn95, HOWEVER, I would still need to shorten the rod ends a bit as Frank stated because using the AMC lower arms will make the front track width of the AMC narrower than the Mustang.

The struts I am looking to use will be adjustable coil overs because I DO want to be able to adjust ride height, also the coil overs like AJE sells have a much smaller diameter spring and a MUCH more compact bearing plate.

Also looking at coil over strut that incorporate the spindle, such as 4th gen F-body this would save a ton of weight and already has every thing I need, but I called a couple of places for measurements and unfortunately this is SEMA week, so most of the TECH guys are in Las Vegas.

Thanks again for the comments.

Stan

Edited by Kansas Transit - Nov/05/2014 at 9:04am
Avery08 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Avery08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2014 at 9:08am
If you want a pic or 2 of a owner built amc/mustang strut setup give me your email.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas Transit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2014 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Avery08 Avery08 wrote:

If you want a pic or 2 of a owner built amc/mustang strut setup give me your email.

Yes Avery, I would appreciate that very much, what I am most interested in is ride height and is the strut in the pic factory length or adjustable?

My email is kte@twinvalley.net

Thanks again,

Stan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic