TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

just checking in

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote warweapon762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2015 at 7:54am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

As soon as John mentioned the Chevy you apparently forgot to read the rest -- about the AMC six t-bucket he's building.  I agree that the main discussion here should be AMC, but most do own other brands and do things their own way on occasion, and those other projects are going to get mentioned.

You don't usually know much about who you're talking to on the Internet. John is in his 70s, and has been an avid AMC nut for longer than some of us have been living, or before we really knew what an AMC was. He currently has an SBC powered Hornet. Had the engine, had the car that needed an engine, decided to try it. He's also got a pretty trick Javelin that he'd have never done anything like that to. If the Hornet had been more of a collectible rather than just a plain old grocery getter.

He was talking about the OP trash talking, not John's post.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2015 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by warweapon762 warweapon762 wrote:

Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

As soon as John mentioned the Chevy you apparently forgot to read the rest -- about the AMC six t-bucket he's building.  I agree that the main discussion here should be AMC, but most do own other brands and do things their own way on occasion, and those other projects are going to get mentioned.

You don't usually know much about who you're talking to on the Internet. John is in his 70s, and has been an avid AMC nut for longer than some of us have been living, or before we really knew what an AMC was. He currently has an SBC powered Hornet. Had the engine, had the car that needed an engine, decided to try it. He's also got a pretty trick Javelin that he'd have never done anything like that to. If the Hornet had been more of a collectible rather than just a plain old grocery getter.

He was talking about the OP trash talking, not John's post.
Yes, thank you. This is not about John.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 10:25am
My mistake.....

Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 10:39am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

I hate to be a jerk, but this has gone on long enough.

This is an AMC forum. This section is the AMC six cylinder section. Most people here, myself included, do not want to hear about how crappy our engines are when compared to a Chevy 350. Especially from somebody who claims to be able to completely rebuild multiple engines all by them self yet cannot look at a vacuum diagram and plug vacuum lines into their proper locations.

So you've built stock 350's? I doubt that, because stock means it has the stock emissions and vacuum systems. Virtually every 350 already had its emissions and vacuum systems removed decades ago by an ignorant boob who didn't understand it and removed it all. People don't like what they do not understand. I've worked on stock 350's, my Uncle has a 1985 C-10 with one and it has so much emissions and vacuum systems on it you can't see the valve covers. Far worse than any AMC I've seen.

Working on an AMC 258 is not that much different than working on a Chevrolet 350. Your obvious blind bias towards the 350 can only be explained as irrational and based on no logic. You simply like Chevrolet and will find any way to insult other makes to artificially elevate Chevrolet engines to divine status, so go buy yourself a Chevrolet and relish in false divinity and ignorance, because you sure as heck don't listen to anything else.

Quit watching Gas Monkey Garage. That'll help. Guys are &@(@^ idiots.

I don't watch gas monkey. Ive owned chevys,Fords,Jeep,......Ive worked on many 1985-86 chevys. (in 1985, I was working at a Chevrolet garage when these were new)
I know many people that hate Chevrolet just like you.   and I also know people that hate Ford as well....and hate AMC.......
Well, that's one thing that people like you have in common, close minded. and when you have to work on cars you hate, you might as well get in another field.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 10:41am
Originally posted by 23baseball3 23baseball3 wrote:

Purp,
Any progress on the '83 yet? Just curious, because I was the other potential buyer. But my father claimed it was "too rusty".
Rusty? it has a little rust. doors are rusty. but the body is actually pretty decent.
23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2015 at 5:46pm
He claimed the floor pans were too far gone and the fact that there was water damage in the interior, plus the missing radiator was just too much for him apparently. I was willing to do all of that repair (he knows more mechanical stuff) but he just said no. Oh well. I'll find another.
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2015 at 6:10pm
Missing radiator?   The floors are actually decent.    I suspect your dad just didnt like the car. Its complete. The black isnt original. It has a radiator in it........it was surprisingly decent considering that it was a chicago area car.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2015 at 6:46pm
This was a 232 I-6 1976 Hornet

'93 Generic GM 350, 4 bolt mains, windage tray, World Heads, Air Gap, 850cfm ThermOquad, Iskenderian 270/280 Flat tappet cam.
And I expect it to pass a smog test when registered.
This is a fully smog legal 1980 258 cu in I-6
And it passes smog tests

This is how I deal with an AMC I-6 when I don't really care if it passes smog or not
Clifford Valve Cover, Iskenderian 270HL Flat tappet cam, Offenhauser dual plane 4bbl manifold and Carter 400 CFM AFB and a few chrome doo-dads.

Trash talk commands very little to no respect when people come to visit and read these forums.

Edited by uncljohn - Apr/07/2015 at 11:16pm
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2015 at 9:26pm
Trash talk?   Who?   I was just saying what I saw. The 83 spirit isnt perfect, its a midwestern car......
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2015 at 9:30pm
23 baseball was interested in the car, and his dad felt it needed too much work, and they are entitled to their opinion.   And I am entitled to my opinion too.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic