TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Just bought a mystery 401! Need opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2018 at 9:47am
Why re-build it, those bores are beautiful.
At worst, pull it down, tank it and re-ring it
with new bearings. That looks awesome to me.
Ball hone it to break the glaze.
Gremlin Dreams
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2018 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

Why re-build it, those bores are beautiful.
At worst, pull it down, tank it and re-ring it
with new bearings. That looks awesome to me.
Ball hone it to break the glaze.

That's what I'm hoping I'll be able to do, but I have to know all the specs are good before I put it back together.
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2018 at 8:34pm
Well I tore it down a bit further and I'm not feeling so happy about my purchase...
main bearings are .030 rod bearings are .020 and the the not so nice guy lied to me about installing new bearings and i'm not sure the rings were ever changed either.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2018 at 8:50pm
And here is a couple videos... there is some rusty discoloration on bores 4 and 6 but I don't feel anything on those spots.

crank and bearings

cylinder walls 4 and 6 questionable?
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2018 at 6:09am
I do not want to sound smug, but I fail to see a problem if the crank is not torn up.
It looks like the engine was not properly cleaned or got dirt in it.

IMO if the crank is good, tank it and re-assemble it with new bearings.
Gremlin Dreams
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2018 at 7:00am
What Boris said and what you said yourself earlier, tank it, make sure those water jackets get all and I mean ALL that crud out, I media blast the inside of the water jackets and they come out looking like straight from the factory> clean the block thoroughly after that tanking, check all the dimensions and clearances, new bearings, rings and a gasket set, break that glaze in the cylinders, but if it were me, I'd take it too a reputable shop and have them hone it on a machine, those ball hones are only good when used by experts. If over done, they can ruin a cylinder wall's finish.

What do the heads look like? How about the cam? 

Good Luck

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Oct/31/2018 at 7:53am
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2018 at 7:08am
when you took the pistons out was it really easy to get them out or did you need to knock them out ? 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2018 at 8:36am
Take it or leave it, but I would do the following with limited tooling:
- take off the piston rings
- clean and clean some more
- put each piston down the respective hole upside down, using feeler gauges, measure the skirt clearance at the mid and top of each hole and record.
- if all are under 0.006" and on a budget, clean everything and then clean again, re-ring, re-bearing, have the crank polished and re-assemble
- drive and enjoy for several years and determine if you want to budget for a performance rebuild some time in the future. 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2018 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

What Boris said and what you said yourself earlier, tank it, make sure those water jackets get all and I mean ALL that crud out, I media blast the inside of the water jackets and they come out looking like straight from the factory> clean the block thoroughly after that tanking, check all the dimensions and clearances, new bearings, rings and a gasket set, break that glaze in the cylinders, but if it were me, I'd take it too a reputable shop and have them hone it on a machine, those ball hones are only good when used by experts. If over done, they can ruin a cylinder wall's finish.

What do the heads look like? How about the cam? 

Good Luck
Thanks guys, the reason I'm upset is the guy obviously lied about everything and he knew he was selling a engine on its last rebuild, I know you can technically go a little bigger on the bores, but it's not recommended and must be sonic checked first. The mains on the crank are on there last leg, luckily it doesn't look to bad and I'm hoping a polish and new bearings will suffice. I havent checked the cam yet, and I have a set of rebuilt 502's already. but the 502's that came off this engine didnt look that bad.
If anyone knows a reputable machine shop in the high desert area or even in the inland empire area of so-cal, please let me know.

Edited by JolleyGreenSST - Oct/31/2018 at 1:10pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2018 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by matty 401 matty 401 wrote:

when you took the pistons out was it really easy to get them out or did you need to knock them out ? 
Had to knock them out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic