TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Junkyard Brake Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosbysweater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Junkyard Brake Upgrade
    Posted: Jan/14/2020 at 1:08pm
Please move if this is the wrong section for this. I purchased this gremlin a while ago and due to the nature of the purchase and the plans for the car i decided to upgrade the brakes. Here in california if your vin has been out of the system for long enough you are required to go through a brake and lamp inspection as well as vin verification. For the brake system the car has a ranger 8.8 in the back with the factory drums and a stock parking parking brake pedal and cables. in the front it had a scarebird kit designed for 14 inch stock wheels. I have 15s on it and want to get as much out of the brake system as i can. Enter the junkyard brake upgrade. I decided to go with the entire brake system out of a non abs 2003 mustang. They use a 11 inch rotor up front and a very light weight and low profile twin piston aluminum caliper. In the rear i used the 2003 mustang brake caliper and disk as well. this is basically a bolt on affair on the 8.8, i want to get a hold of a stock rear end to see if i can whip something up for that as well. The good thing about the rear conversion is that it is basically a poor mans c clip eliminator as well as having a caliper integrated parking brake. To convert the front to accept the sn95 rotor you need to take about 1.5mm off the outer edge of the hub as well as the center bore and the rotor will slide right on. The front brakes are also M10 metric with a banjo bolt. the car has 3/16 double flare lines on it. the easiest solution i found when scrounging the junkyard was to use a 1994 geo metro front brake hose as it goes from m10 metric banjo to 3/16th. The stock amc booster also excepts the sn95 master cylinder and is a direct drop in. i used the proportioning valve as well to make sure the whole system was the same as the mustang. The parking brake lever is now mounted on the trans tunnel and provides a very smooth action. Anyway, the cars brakes bled perfectly and the pedal feels amazing. As i stated above i want to work on a solution for stock amc rear ends as well. the brackets are very simple and I am thinking about offering a bracket and hardware kit as well as a hub machining service after i do a little more testing! Enjoy!!!

https://imgur.com/fkYwjJD -

https://imgur.com/KuCVBSx -

https://imgur.com/45uF0OR -

https://imgur.com/nreBev3 -

https://imgur.com/TGmfPrP -

https://imgur.com/ZrGD5i6 -
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2020 at 10:58pm
Nice!

Hey, I had a similar problem, AMC 3/16" inverted flare hose to metric banjo caliper. Somehow I found this problem -- banjo adapter -- BQ60 -- it mates dead-stock AMC hoses to metric calipers in one shot.

1961 roadster american, 195.6 OHV, T5
1968 american, 199ci, T14
AMC pages: http://www.sr-ix.com/AMC/

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2020 at 11:02pm
I like systems like that, they show ingenuity. Nicely done.
Why Ramblers? Chicks dig 'em. Whatever it is, I can take it apart.
Located near Rochester, NY
cosbysweater View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosbysweater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2020 at 12:07pm
I saw those, super nice pieces. I just wanted to keep the old brakes complete for when I sell them
snakeeyes View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2020 at 9:28pm
Nice brake setup.

Brave man putting an ls engine in an amc, prepare for the haters.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2020 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by snakeeyes snakeeyes wrote:

Nice brake setup.

Brave man putting an ls engine in an amc, prepare for the haters.

Must be nice if the off brand swap is the biggest of their worries.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosbysweater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 9:17am
Lol. Well the car had a fully built 401 that I went through and checked out. But plan is to do drag week next year with it, and as much as I love the 401 I cannot justify it for practicality reasons. As far as if something were to break and I would need parts for it
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 9:32am
That doesn't matter. The villagers will gather in the town square and light the torches. LOL
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosbysweater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 11:20am
Haha fair enough. well the complete 401 and 727 dropout are for sale as well everything bolted to them. So if someone wants it it's here! :)
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2020 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

That doesn't matter. The villagers will gather in the town square and light the torches. LOL
That's for sure! LOL Sadly most of the villagers don't drive their cars outside of the village so they don't understand the concept of their car breaking down or needing parts away from home. As I like to say "I drive my car further than a tow truck distance from home". LOL

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi powered Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic