TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Jegs Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 7:26am
Apparently Holley just released this new Dizzy for the Sniper EFI about 3 weeks ago.... 

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/565-308/10002/-1

(Linked fixed!)

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Jul/26/2018 at 9:38am
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 7:46am
Cool, hadn't seen that before so now we have another option.

PS: you might have to fix that link
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Jmerican Jmerican wrote:

The couple MSD AMC v8 distributors Ive seen lately. One was binding and poorly machined. The other had the "ready to run" electronics fail. The ready to run is a different housing. And the electronics are not reliable nor servicable. MSD is not helpful in this sense. The module is a service part, but ask for one... and dealers have them but try to find one... its total BS. They are no doubt made in china. Like the old Unilite, carry a spare except its not practical to swap it out when in a bind.
Another one I bypassed the RTR and hotwired an HEI module in. This was to test a howell injected no start. I had two issues there. Not the GM system. The MSD kaput.

WELL CRAP, that really sucks, that the latest bunch of MSD distributors are experiencing failures. Although it's par for the course. If a manufacturer makes so many of the things some of them are bound to be faulty, it's just reality. Makes me wonder how many of the Jeg's distributors will fail.....although I guess for $138 each, I could have bought two of them and put one in the trunk and swap it out when it craps.

Like I stated earlier, although mine are the older versions, I've had no troubles so far, (knock on wood). I'd estimate easily 10k miles or maybe more over a ten plus year period of time

I guess it's difficult to get real riled up about it though, as I see MSD's point. Why bang your head against the wall providing top notch products when people are so willing to buy the "cheaper" Chinese knock offs. Just jump on the band wagon and employ the Chinese to provide the same crap as their knock offs and hope for the best. Bottom line is they gotta make money, and get creative in the process,

All I can say, is I popped those MSD Billet Ready to Run Distributors into the engines, timed them and went cruising. I didn't even think to disassemble them and check for shavings in bearings, rough edges on parts, and crappy lubrication. Heck even the drive gears are giving no troubles.
Obviously your results may vary, Good Luck Greyhoud
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 9:34am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Got your back 82concord,

https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/565-308/10002/-1

Link fixed

Anyone wanna guess where this one is made??
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 9:40am
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Got your back 82concord,

Link fixed

Anyone wanna guess where this one is made??

Thanks!

Sorry about the bad link guys! My bad! I fixed my link!
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 12:22pm
It looks like the Holley Sniper distributor doesn't have any advance mechanism, as it's intended for EFI use only.  It's probably not really an option then for 99.9% of AMC cars.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2018 at 1:34pm
Im not against the MSD, however the RtR units will strand you. I talked to a shop who sells them and they said they had a pile of them dead. The mag pickup version is likely very reliable, and one could carry a spare. The RTR is really a joke.

In addition, it seems, with the plethora of overseas options/copies/counterfeits/and lack of QC, one needs to be careful. I dont believe they are dimentionally accurate and therefore relationships between gears/covers/pumps may come into play.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2018 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Jmerican Jmerican wrote:

Im not against the MSD, however the RtR units will strand you. I talked to a shop who sells them and they said they had a pile of them dead. The mag pickup version is likely very reliable, and one could carry a spare. The RTR is really a joke.

In addition, it seems, with the plethora of overseas options/copies/counterfeits/and lack of QC, one needs to be careful. I dont believe they are dimentionally accurate and therefore relationships between gears/covers/pumps may come into play.

So is the solution to this to use the trigger version, and wire up an HEI module to it to fire the coil?

You can get the HEI modules just about about anywhere so there would be spares a plenty for anyone who needed to replace one.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2018 at 2:36pm
Diagram to wire an HEI module to a Motorcraft distributor,
I'm guessing it could also be done to an MSD/MSD Clone

also, there are Ebay distributors listed as "small cap HEI",
I don't know if these use the HEI module, or if they're just another MSD knockoff under a different name,
example:

Edited by jpnjim - Jul/27/2018 at 2:41pm
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2018 at 1:02pm
Another interesting thing about the Jegs distributor - it came with an adjustable vacuum advance can on it. If you look you can see that they use the Ford style hex shaped vacuum advance can.

The MSD units and almost all of the other units use smooth round advance cans, so I'm not sure if they are adjustable.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic