TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Jegs Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 5:52pm
The Holley Sniper wont control timing with the ready to run distributors (HEI), HEI distributors or Pertronix module (which is what I have now). Once you have the locked magnetic pickup style distributor, the Sniper will use that as the base timing and adjust the curve itself based on the input signals it has like MAP, TPS and RPM. The sniper comes with its own coil driver, so doesn't really need a separate ignition box, but you can also hook the Sniper output up to you traditional CD ignition box if you prefer.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 5:10am
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

This one is what I used. It is a plug and play, no box required. 

I've heard good and bad about these MSD look alikes,

were you able to get a good advance curve out of it?

Did the internals that you saw look ok?

Some claim the electronics aren't as good,
others say bad bushings, poorly fit trigger wheels, etc,
but I wonder how much of that info is from people who'd rather everyone spend 3x's as much on an MSD product (MSD distributors are also made in China).

I will probably end up buying one of these in the end (I started a similar thread to this a couple months ago).

For anyone really trying to "go cheap"
the style that needs a trigger box is availabe for as low as $55
 and I believe an HEI module can be used to fire it.

I have not tried any of these, or even seen one in person.
They are labeled "pro billet" like all the others but the picture of this (non ready to run) distributor looks different from the one you linked John:

Edit,
the one I listed above  is "Pro Comp", John's is "Top Street", and the original post asked about "Jegs",
like most generic Chinese parts I'm not sure the brand name on the box has any bearing at all on the quality of the parts.
I think "Company A" orders whatever they want from the same dealer as everyone else, 
then just puts their own name on the box.

Edited by jpnjim - Jul/19/2018 at 5:16am
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 6:29am
From what I can see Jim the distributor is exactly like an MSD. They come with the same advance bushings, springs and a lock out if that is what you want. They take an MSD cap and rotor also. 

As far as the electronics go, all I can say is they are still working and I did not have any issues on start up or on the dyno. Overall they look like a pretty good piece. 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 7:11am
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

From what I can see Jim the distributor is exactly like an MSD. They come with the same advance bushings, springs and a lock out if that is what you want. They take an MSD cap and rotor also. 

As far as the electronics go, all I can say is they are still working and I did not have any issues on start up or on the dyno. Overall they look like a pretty good piece. 

Thanks John!
You helped my decision along (again!) 
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 11:42am
I have two of the REAL MSD Ready to Run Billet Distributors.

I think I paid around $375 or more for each one. That was at least 5 years ago for the 2nd one and ten plus years for the 1st one.

I didn't need to buy another "box" for $200 or more depending on which box. In fact with the 2nd one I got a free MSD 6 box. I think they are valued at around $100 to $150 or so. I think MSD wanted to get rid of em though as they seem to be obsolete.

The ignition system works great, no failure in over ten years and at least ten to twelve thousand miles of street use.

I suppose the Chinese knock offs do just as well....NOW. But ten years ago you were begging for drive gear problems with those knockoffs. Heck I just dropped in the 1st MSD Distributor with an MSD gear on it against the distributor drive gear on the cam that came with the car built in Dec. of 69. No troubles so far, I even remember pulling it out after a couple thousand miles to see what was happening. I saw nothing but normal wear if any. Never see and shiny stuff in the oil either.

I like that comfort zone.....just sayin

While you're at it, get a set of MSD plug wires for AMC V8s too. That is money spent wisely too.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Jul/20/2018 at 11:45am
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 9:42pm
I just ordered the Jegs version without the internal electronics as I run an MSD box. I'll let you know how it looks.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2018 at 11:00pm
Wow the Jegs units seems really nice for the $134 i paid after $10 off coupon deal.

The side play was 0.0015", end play 0.032", and nice build quality overall. The vacuum advance is adjustable, which I don't think is stated in the Jegs lit.

Upper bearing is a roller, lower looks to be oillite bronze. There's a bit of an open space where the adv can attaches, so it probably isn't very moisture proof.

Mine had a few odd metal shavings stuck in the grease around the upper bearing. I cleaned that up with some qtips and regreased it.

The advance weights had some burs on the bottom side i cleaned up with a file. I also put some grease on the advance weight pivots as they were dry.

I'll post some pics shortly.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2018 at 11:08pm
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 12:18am
The couple MSD AMC v8 distributors Ive seen lately. One was binding and poorly machined. The other had the "ready to run" electronics fail. The ready to run is a different housing. And the electronics are not reliable nor servicable. MSD is not helpful in this sense. The module is a service part, but ask for one... and dealers have them but try to find one... its total BS. They are no doubt made in china. Like the old Unilite, carry a spare except its not practical to swap it out when in a bind.
Another one I bypassed the RTR and hotwired an HEI module in. This was to test a howell injected no start. I had two issues there. Not the GM system. The MSD kaput.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2018 at 7:08am
Having the electronics so close to the ligtning seems risky. I know the GM HEI did it fine for decades, but that was a pretty simple electronics package and was designed and tested by Delco engineers to handle anything.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic