TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Jeep wheels for the eagle!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amchornet1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep wheels for the eagle!
    Posted: Jul/13/2013 at 6:58pm
  Well I found some wheels and tires on the local craigs list for a steal. The tire are originally for the jeep,it needs different rubber. Havent got them switched yet but just for the heck of it I threw the wheels and tires on the eagle.

Edited by amchornet1970 - Dec/01/2020 at 11:00pm
Joe
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 Eagle sedan
1993 grand jeep Np242
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/amchornet/profile/
EagleFreek View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2013 at 8:51pm
Looking good. Those 235's would require quite a bit of cutting to work properly. I've got 225/75/15's on mine and it required a little clearancing up front.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2013 at 12:23pm
The biggest issue with Jeep wheels on an Eagle is that they are wider unless they are off a 2wd Jeep

amchornet1970 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amchornet1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2013 at 8:53pm
Yes those 235's dont quite fit so I will put my other tires on those wheels and be good to go.
Joe
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 Eagle sedan
1993 grand jeep Np242
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/amchornet/profile/
Marty View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2013 at 6:34pm
Would ? 31x10.50xR15's Fit any A.M.C.'s

I got 2 Michelin XC LT 4's on Multi Lug CYCLONE 11 STYLE / MULTI FINNED / FORD 100/ JEEP / A.M.C. / some Toyota's ? Dodge 100 pick-up's '
the other 2 15X 8.5's wheels have no tires on them .
The whole SET OR WILL SELL JUST THE PAIR OF Michelins with wheels
will not separate the tires .Later, Marty
Marty
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2013 at 10:05pm
what's the offset? centered aka RWD, AWD, or front wheel drive
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2013 at 6:49am
Jeep offset is same.
Even AMC realized there were clearance issues up front, on turns the wheel swung out and shoved against the front of the wheel opening, curling the fender lip in quite a bit. They had to give it another roughly inch or inch and a half or so for 81. Thus the 2 different Eagle fender part numbers.

WIDER wheels or tires will make the problem worse as the wheel on turns swings outward in an arc around the steering axis.
If you 'lift' the car you change the steering axis inclination and also the arc the wheel swings around on turns and can make the problem worse or better, depending..........

After having some Eagles over the years and especially with those I have now, I'm a big advocate on never ever chopping Eagle wheel wells.
Those of us who respect them as AMC cars and the beautiful original CUV that they were already find it virtually impossible to get decent replacement body parts - and when the fenders that are so bloody rare already are chopped for bigger wheels for a "look", I cringe as I think - there goes yet another set of fenders someone will need to RESTORE one of these to their former glory and beauty all for "bigger" wheels that do little for handling and stability. When I encountered that deer a while back and had to search for a decent fender (STILL to this day have not found a good rust-free fender without physical damage), I just thought back to all the RUST FREE/DAMAGE-FREE fenders from western states that have been hacked and butchered for bigger tires or incorrect wheels (which also typically remove stability on the road and wear the parts much faster than correct ones)
Meantime, I still can't find a solid fender, no rust, no physical damage aka no bondo.
I've got 3 or 4 fenders someone can hack, chop, butcher, cut/torch, hammer away at I'd trade for just one GOOD solid no rust, no dent fender.
(keep that in mind next time someone walks up to a virgin nice Eagle fender and starts whacking away)

Edited by billd - Oct/01/2013 at 6:52am
Marty View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2013 at 11:58am
The Offset in back looks around 4 inches

The Offset in the frt looks around 5 inches

THE Multi Lug is for RWD AWD and FWD

4X4 Ford Bronco 11 's Ranger's Jeep's

Marty
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2019 at 3:17am
I want to run 17's on girlfriends wagon with
215/55 .17 tire, but struggle to find the right backspace Sleepy
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2019 at 9:34am
 found a  set of 16" Wheel from an ford explorer in my back yard. Will test it on the Eagle

Edited by Stormogdis - Nov/24/2019 at 9:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic