TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

JB Weld

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocCreer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 1:31am
About how much would brazing cost
61 American
82 eagle limited
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 1:34am
Doc,

Check out the post I made right before your very last post on page 1.

g-man
AMC only daily driver
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 6:02am
My JB Weld Story........

I am a retired tug boat Captain. On a tow to Africa had a GM 6-71 generator blow a piston. It came thru the sleeve and out the block. My Chief Engineer rebuilt the engine at sea. Of course no new block so he JB Welded it back together and re-sleeved it. Cranked right up.

Two years later I got back on that tug, it stayed in Nigeria, and that generator was still in use with the same block.

You call the shot.....

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by g-man g-man wrote:

Doc,

Check out the post I made right before your very last post on page 1.

g-man

Why would someone buy a new for that price - really, 120,  when used are out there for a FRACTION of that cost...... I picked up a head for a 20, and got a used pair of manifolds for about 25 a few years ago. (pair meaning intake and exhaust)

Not sure I personally would use a Dorman intake from China but it ain't my car. It's up to the owner to choose - good used original for dirt cheap, or new from China for 120.
Personally, I'd go good used and be done with it. 

They are EVERYWHERE. Just ask on the Eagle forum, or put a wanted here, or check the Eagle FB pages (there are several) - those parts can be had for almost nothing. The AIR tubes and manifolds are always around. (I have one or two exhaust and three intake manifolds on my own Eagle shelves)

As far as brazing the AIR tubes, if it was in my shop it's only a few minutes to clean and braze. Five minutes if the part is off the car.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by DocCreer DocCreer wrote:

Can i used JB Weld to seal a leaky smog tube?as well as a small crack in the exhaust manifold?82 Eagle Straight Six.

DocCreer... I have a near MINT AIR tube for a 1982 AMC Concord for sale. I only used it for one year just to pass emissions testing one last time. I'm not sure if it will be the same as your Eagle... but I have the rest of the emissions stuff too.... it will never go back on my car... 
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 2:11am
I've bought the new manifolds before and they work, but they are rather rough and crude castings. 

The main trick any time you pull the manifold off these sixes is in getting them to seal to the cylinder head again and stay sealed. I absolutely hate exhaust leaks. A Remflex gasket on a flat head and flat manifold torqued to 20 ft-lb and retorqued once every oil change is the only way I've gotten them to seal. 

Use stainless steel studs and other hardware for your exhaust and you will be amazed at how much easier life gets. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 3:52am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Why would someone buy a new for that price - really, 120,  when used are out there for a FRACTION of that cost......
Not sure I personally would use a Dorman intake from China but it ain't my car. It's up to the owner to choose - good used original for dirt cheap, or new from China for 120.
Personally, I'd go good used and be done with it.

Bill,
Not really sure why you said that.
I would gladly pay $120 if it meant that I wouldn't have to worry about an old or original exhaust manifold cracking and creating a hideous "pfft pfft pfft". Or warping with age and causing that notorious AMC 6 cylinder exhaust leak. You just know that the original exhaust manifolds are going to give you a problem eventually.
I would prefer not to use ChiComm products, but the strength and integrity of their new manifolds are no worse than the original AMC 6 exhaust manifolds (I'm strictly talking about strength).
The original 6 cyl manifolds really weren't that good (honestly the crappiest part of the AMC 6cyl). Over the years I have tossed many into the trash as junk.
However...if you would rather spend a bunch of time and effort on the used pieces...more power to ya brother. I admire your determination.

g-man

AMC only daily driver
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 9:34am
New China manifold versus old original comes down to how much time the owner wants to spend replacing exhaust collector studs on the 30+ year old manifold.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 10:08am
No issue with studs - they aren't that bad on these - not usually. Sorry, no offense, but the studs are a real non-issue because they generally aren't bad - at least not on those on MY shelves, and it's not that hard on these things to replace them with only a little patience. I guess I don't see that as playing into it. 
And as far as cracking, that was a bigger issue with the early style. The later ones, in my personal experience with Eagle, don't crack often. It's a matter of was it put on correctly and the torque specs followed for the most part. 

If you have put on the replacements, then you also know they are not always flat, and sometimes you struggle to get the end fasteners to line up. 
Face it, it's chinese cast and specs. 
Now most folks know I don't generically diss Chinese products, some are actually superior to USA made due to economics - 
I can point to specifics, yes, but in this case, i've dealt with AMC 6's for over 40 years.  I have NEVER had a manifold on any of my own crack, let alone leak. When people have brought them in for repairs, I've gotten them resealed without issue - and I follow the TSM specs to the letter most of the time.
I bet even on the hundreds of customer cars, I've only replaced a couple due to cracking - and those were the early style, bolted to the intake. Those had more issues than the later style - in MY experiences.

One other reason I commented as I did is that I also know the OP doesn't have ready cash on hand all the time.
The fellow tries but is on a tight budget unless things have changed for him in recent years. He's a willing and eager learner, though. 

If it was a manifold of mine I was selling him, it would have the studs replaced - that's a no-brainer and they are actually more easy on the 6s than the smaller studs used by other companies. It's also not that bad to remove them if you have patience. Really, a few bucks vs. 120 - the studs just won't enter into it if it were me choosing. What's a few minutes vs 100 bucks??

On the other hand, if it was a manifold off my shelf - why would they need to replace the studs? Does everyone replace them, need it or not? The ones I have have studs in them I'd likely not mess with because they are fine. After-all - I removed the nuts in a muddy junk yard setting with common hand tools, so I know the nuts weren't rusted onto the studs but came off pretty much ok. 
Funny, everyone is asking for trouble where there is none.
No stud problem - my spares have good studs, but I'd happily replace them of a buyer asked.
Who says these would crack or wouldn't seal - IF put on correctly? I've not lost one yet and have had AMC 6s since the early 70s - 232, 258, etc. at least a half dozen of my own, and the first shop I worked in was a former AMC dealership shop - can't recall replacing exhaust manifolds, but with the pre-81 systems we DID free up a lot of the heat riser valves! (and replaced a fair number of burned out choke heater tubes in the 232s, etc.)

Me, I'd opt for a good used manifold for a few bucks - because I've never had trouble, as opposed to spending a lot on one that also could crack!
Who is to say that the NEW one wouldn't crack if a used one would? Did China make it better for that price?
I know it's a calculated risk, but the owner has to determine his budget vs. his TIME and willingness to work a little bit. If a used one cracks, you get another for another twenty bucks and are still 80 ahead.
If the new one cracks, you remove it and get it replaced, but at what cost for shipping, etc.

It's not that bad to remove the studs - IF it's even needed, because most I see are perfectly fine, and if it was a good AMC person selling him a manifold, that AMC person selling would ensure the studs were good or replace them. I sure would if I were selling. 
They don't crack that often, and there's no saying the new one wouldn't. A used one has survived how many decades and will suddenly crack? Remember, these are the better 81+ manifolds, not the early ones that bolted to the intake - and those did have more issues. 

Sorry, I stand by my experience and comments. For someone on a budget, I'd easily go good used because the arguments against just aren't that solid. Especially for an owner on a budget. 
If I have more than one spare on the shelf, I may even consider selling one, with either good used studs or new. I'd have to look at my stash. 

He's got his information and can choose with path he wants to go based on all sorts of information and experience. He needs to have both sides and both experiences to make a decision best for HIM, not for us. 
You may use new, I would absolutely use used - what he does is up to him.  
What you do is up to you and isn't right or wrong.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 10:11am
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Originally posted by DocCreer DocCreer wrote:

Can i used JB Weld to seal a leaky smog tube?as well as a small crack in the exhaust manifold?82 Eagle Straight Six.

DocCreer... I have a near MINT AIR tube for a 1982 AMC Concord for sale. I only used it for one year just to pass emissions testing one last time. I'm not sure if it will be the same as your Eagle... but I have the rest of the emissions stuff too.... it will never go back on my car... 

I bet there's folks here who would sell him those for very reasonable - cheaper than repairs. Those you have look really nice and worth a few bucks to not have to deal with repairs.
That sure looks the same as what my Eagle 258 had before I pulled the stuff off (mine was trashed)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic