TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Javelin Front Spring Removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Javelin Front Spring Removal
    Posted: Nov/24/2011 at 3:09pm
 I am trying to remove the front springs from my 70' Javelin and don't have any AMC specialty tools, I do have a threaded rod type compressor but it is does not seem to fit these springs properly and not being able to get them 180 degrees apart makes it seem unsafe at partial compression. I did a forum search on this subject but came up empty although I believe there were some posts about it recently. I believe some forum members might have an easy to make tool for this? Any ideas or pics?

Thanks

Tony

70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2011 at 3:37pm
i just did it on my 70 amx. i went and got rented a tool from autozone, drops down from the shock tower, but u need to go up higher to the highest coil and the lowest coil ,i had it cranked and still had to a tight fit ,

Edited by 70amxvegas - Nov/24/2011 at 3:48pm
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2011 at 3:52pm
Was it a loaner or one you buy?
amx69freak View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx69freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2011 at 6:13pm
I bought a spring compressor I got off ebay  3-4 years ago....A guy was selling them for Mustangs and I asked if he had any for AMC...He didn't but asked me for the travel length and he made them up and started selling them....Used it on 3 cars so far and it works like a charm....He still makes them here is the item # http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMC-AMX-Javelin-Front-Coil-Spring-Compressor-/260494897347?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3ca6b4b0c3#ht_3394wt_1396
1969 AMX 390

1973 Javelin 401

1975 Pacer 258
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2011 at 8:08pm
The disadvantage of that pictured, but would be simple to fix, is that it's not as easy to pivot the spring out as Garry's is - and the original AMC (Kent-Moore) tool is far easier even than his because it rests on a half-sphere on the shock tower and will pivot all directions, making pulling the spring outward and releasing tension very simple.

I've got pics up here somewhere, yes, there have been several discussions on it, and I should have examples and explanations of both styles - the K-M tool and Garry's version.
Besides the great ability to pivot the spring and tool while compressed, the other reason I like those two styles is that it holds the spring support (some call it the "saddle") in place perfectly on the spring while compressing - no chance of mis-alignment while assembling, and it's 100% safe (there's nothing to slip on a coil, can't possibly slip)

Garry's version in place:

The AMC tool in use:

Edited by billd - Nov/24/2011 at 8:17pm
amx69freak View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx69freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 12:09am
The style I have works okay using the shock tower bracket...You just have to work the spring perch out slowly while lowering it at the same time....I have used mine 3 times in the last 2 years and will be using it again in a couple weeks...Will look into getting a piece made up so it can pivot on top....May have the video going....Still always a little nervous messing with them springs....Think I have pics somewhere on one of my computers see if I can find em....
1969 AMX 390

1973 Javelin 401

1975 Pacer 258
70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 1:54am
mine was a loaner tool . maybe not the best one out there, it had a slide in top ,kind of hard to explain , but there was two of us so that helped getting the new ones in,it was a tough job ,my new moog springs raised the car 1 1/4 inches up which is what i did not want to do . but when the old ones came out i new i was in trouble for they looked like someone heated them to lower??? car is even now but i had a one inch rack before . car feels 100% better but may need to pull them to cut them but hate to do it again.not sure what to do now.
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 7:10am
Buy one of Garry's compressors, it's the best $40 you'll spend on your car. Yeah, the original might be the best tool out there but Garry's compressor works and  it's inexpensive. I've got one of Garry's compressors and I have an original Kent Moore too, for the $ you can't beat Garry's compressor...

Notice how I avoided using the word tool? Especially for the last line......LOL

Edited by 71SC360 - Nov/25/2011 at 7:10am
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 8:11am
Great info guys, the posted compressors are the type I remember reading about. I believe I have the materials to make one.

Thanks

Tony
DoughertyAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by amx69freak amx69freak wrote:

I bought a spring compressor I got off ebay  3-4 years ago....A guy was selling them for Mustangs and I asked if he had any for AMC...He didn't but asked me for the travel length and he made them up and started selling them....Used it on 3 cars so far and it works like a charm....He still makes them here is the item # http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMC-AMX-Javelin-Front-Coil-Spring-Compressor-/260494897347?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3ca6b4b0c3#ht_3394wt_1396

I bought this tool as well about a year ago.  Now I need to use it..........sure wish there was a video or better pics.  My first mistake was removing everything on the front end but the upper and lower control arms, now I'm having trouble reaching the inner front shock bolt as there is no weight on the spring.  Car is on the lift, when I try to jack up the lower A arm to compress the spring enough to give me room to remove the shock, it starts to lift the whole front end off the lift.  That's not good........

I'm also wondering if I should buy Gary's tool and sell this one.  Anyone know how to buy one from him?

Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic