TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Javelin Door Hinges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Javelin Door Hinges
    Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 12:18pm
I've got saggy doors on my '72 and have been looking through the old threads on this topic.  Didn't find the answer I was looking for so thought I'd ask the experts.

I was going to send my hinges out to be rebuilt, but it appears I'd have to remove the dash in order to access the bolts below the A-pillar.  That's not something I want to do again, so I'm thinking just to replace the pins and bushings with the hinges on the car. 

However, it looks like the curvature of the door sheet metal makes access to the upper pins difficult, so do I need to remove the doors from the car to replace the pins?  I see that the pins come out from the bottom, but it looks like it would be hard to get a straight shot at the pin with a punch from the top due to the door being in the way.

Thanks!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 1:01pm
I think you looking at some troubles trying to do it while still on the car.

I have my fenders off, and looked at both ways. The big issue is don't the hinges need some machining for the new bushings, or are the bushings a pop in fit?

I think you will have to plan on door removal and have the hinges off the car.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 1:39pm
Scott Campbell explains how to rebuild them on the car in his resto book.
javjav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

I have my fenders off, and looked at both ways. The big issue is don't the hinges need some machining for the new bushings, or are the bushings a pop in fit?

The bushings I use are not a "pop in" fit.  If there is any elongation in the hole  (and most are), then you need to go with a larger bushing.  Every hinge that I do gets a slightly larger custom pin/bronze bushing.  To have the proper clearance between the pin and bushing, you need to machine the hinge to the correct diameter. Too much and the pin is too loose. Too little and the pin will not go in correctly.  

Whatever you do watch for the junk brass bushings that some of the major vendors sell.  And also the non heat treated pin.  I have a pile of these that people send with their hinges, that I just refuse to use.  Junky parts are not going to last even on a show car.  One guy just sent me a set to rebuild again after he tried it the cheaper brass way.  He only got two years out of the brass before seeing slop in the hinge.

-Reproduction Clutch Linkage Brackets, Ball Stud Pivots & Z Bars
-Door Hinge Rebuild Service
-NOS and used parts for Javelin and AMX
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 3:02pm
I think a shot of white lithium grease goes along way. I've had a lot of junk hinges on junk cars.Then, on my original javelins and amxs, the hinges are perfect.no sag. No slop.still original.I might have a set of nos hinges, I'd have to check.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by javjav javjav wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

The bushings I use are not a "pop in" fit.  If there is any elongation in the hole  (and most are), then you need to go with a larger bushing.  Every hinge that I do gets a slightly larger custom pin/bronze bushing.  To have the proper clearance between the pin and bushing, you need to machine the hinge to the correct diameter. Too much and the pin is too loose. Too little and the pin will not go in correctly.  

Whatever you do watch for the junk brass bushings that some of the major vendors sell.  And also the non heat treated pin.  I have a pile of these that people send with their hinges, that I just refuse to use.  Junky parts are not going to last even on a show car.  One guy just sent me a set to rebuild again after he tried it the cheaper brass way.  He only got two years out of the brass before seeing slop in the hinge.

I was going to have you rebuild mine, Dave, but on the humpsters it looks like it means removing that kluge of a dash.  Maybe I can access the passenger side by removing just the kick panel, but for the driver's side looks like the whole dash has to come out.  Removing just the doors and replacing the pins and bushings would be a whole lot easier, even if it means having do redo it in a few years.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by bigbadgreen bigbadgreen wrote:

Scott Campbell explains how to rebuild them on the car in his resto book.

Thanks.  I have Scott's book. Should have thought to look there.

javjav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 4:04pm
I don't claim to be an expert and continue to improve the processes when needed. However, I will state that the hinges I rebuild are the best AMC hinges in the nation.  New pins (custom and heat treated), new bronze bushings, new springs (custom made), new detent rollers if needed and the latest addition---new custom made detent roller pin with proper heat treating for strength.  

Old AMC machinist saying:  those that can make something out of nothing, actually do.  Those that don't have a clue, just insult the ones that are actually making it. 

Edited by javjav - Dec/10/2017 at 1:37pm
javjav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 4:15pm
I was going to have you rebuild mine, Dave, but on the humpsters it looks like it means removing that kluge of a dash.  Maybe I can access the passenger side by removing just the kick panel, but for the driver's side looks like the whole dash has to come out.  Removing just the doors and replacing the pins and bushings would be a whole lot easier, even if it means having do redo it in a few years.
[/QUOTE]

Can you even see the opening where the three upper hinge bolts are attached to the body (once the speedo is removed)?  If not, can you possibly gain some access to these bolts by loosening the dash screws/bolts and leaning it out a couple of inches?  The wiring harness should be able to give you the movement.  
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 4:58pm

If I can get to it just by removing the cluster, that wouldn't be so bad.  I want to replace my dash bulbs with LEDs anyway. I"ll take a look at that when I get a chance.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic