TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Its Alive !! But Major Leak at Heater Valve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 2:51pm
If your not too concerned about originality for the model year, you could just get the valve that screws into the intake manifold, they are more common than the fire wall mount type you have. Engine bay looks very nice!
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 4:39pm
For whatever it's worth, I had an original version of this valve and rebuilt it with the kit. It had other problems and still leaked.

I ended up finding another on EBay. I have not been impressed with the performance of the valve. If you can find some suitable straight forward control valve that looks good enough for you, you may be functionally as well off. It just depends on how original things have to be.

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2016 at 6:35am
The infamous Ranco thermostatic valve. AMC started using it in 63 I believe, but may have used it earlier on the big cars. The thermostat control just opens the valve after water gets hot, not before. Helps engine water heat up a little faster by keeping it in the block until it's hot enough to provide heat to the heater, that's all. It's a big PITA for leaks later, as you have discovered. Unless you want it to be 100% stock in appearance replace it with a block valve or an in-line valve. You might be able to find a valve that will fit in the space of the Ranco and look similar to stock, but I don't know of one off-hand. 
Frank Swygert
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2016 at 8:22pm
Are there any companies or individuals that rebuild these valves?
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2016 at 2:38pm
I have rebuilt 2 of them in the past year or so. Not too hard to do, just takes some time and patience, as well as a new seal, and replacing the one on the plunger is a good idea while you have it apart. Detroit Muscle Technologies has the kit with both parts for 29 bucks on ebay.

Here is a picture of one that I did which was a rusty  frozen piece of junk when I started 

And the back
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic