TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > The Final Chapter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

It may really be the end

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby loye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 5:02am
and Chicago stadium bricks. I want to buy the old Olympia brewery with my lotto winnings....
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2017 at 10:01pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK1Fhsz7Z_A
BMXRacer View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMXRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2017 at 9:19pm
Its a crime so many Americans (I'm American born, the son of immigrants)
Don't want to save history. The building looks beautiful and I can think of several uses.
- Community College
- Auto Design School
- AMC Museum
- All of the above and some office space developed by someone like Regus.
- All the above and ground floor retail space
- All of the above and areas not redeveloped torn down and unused parking or lots, turned into a city park

But just dont throw it away like trash. The building facade looks classic.
Maybe redevolpement will increase the area micro economy.
Perhaps include it in a larger redevelopment project so the entire neighboorhood is uplifted.
Otherwise it will just be torn down and a non descript Wal-Mart or something maybe another Home Depot.

kalve View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2017 at 12:05am
To bad it could not be saved & somebody use it to restore old AMC's & have a few shops in there selling AMC stuff.
1964 T bird Landau

2000 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 convertible

1970 AMC Rebel SST Wagon
BMXRacer View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMXRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2017 at 4:11pm
Some more thoughts, maybe a Michigan AMC fan in this forum can put together a presentation in wiriting and contact the state, county and city historical agencies and redevolpment angencies about saving this Landmark. Use ideas in this thread and further develop them and incude contact information for potential partners.

I would contact firms about office space like Regus, who could rent a floor or other similar office rental companies
I would contact famous Michigan comapnies about contributing and putting in a ground floor store. Brands like Dominos, Little Ceaser, Meijers Supermarket, Biggby Coffee Shop, ad some popular other stores that could work, Starbucks if Biggby isnt down.
A donut chain, I would start with Tim Hortons or Dunkin Donuts. Maybe a Cinema Plex since the first floor ceilings are so tall.
Maybe a clothing store or outlet. The entire first floor could be a retail paradise with some stores facing the street and the street itself new sidewalks, street lamps with a classic look, landscaping, new street signs etc.

Save one area or perhaps a large floor area as a AMC, Nash, Hudson Museum shoppers in the mall like setting could look at the cars, that are not just in the Museum but thru out the ground floor public areas.
Chrysler I'm sure would help with the Museum aspects. The entire second floor could be dedicated to preserving the heritage of AMC and its brands likes Kelvinator etc. Maybe an Auto Design School on that floor. Large items like cars on the Ground floor, smaller displays on the second floor as well as restoration, preservation and office areas. Perhaps a museum movie viewing area.

3rd floor and above for Office space and or perhaps some loft style condiminums.
Some Ideas for names could be
- Heritage Tower Center
- Southfield Centre

Additionally investment in the plaza can be rewarded by dropping the back taxes and making it a tax free zone for say 10 years. Developers and potential end users would love not to have to pay tax, to help launch the facility.

So the only investment for the city would be sprucing up the city land ajoining the complex and creating a city or county park with unused area. The would loose revenue for a few year in taxes, but they are not collecting taxes on that now anyway. Long term it could lead to solid revenue. In the meantime the city would be collecting payroll tax and sales taxes as soon as people and stores begin occupying. Funds they are not getting now.

I think people would love to live and work in such a re-imagined and re-purposed use of the space.
The building could have a beautiful plaque identifying this as the former World Headquarters of AMC and statue of say Dick Teague at an entry plaza.

Get some beautiful renderings done to go with the concept and I think everyone would jump onboard

Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2017 at 5:23pm
The problem is the surrounding neighborhood. The building was in great condition when it was used by Chrysler just a few years ago. But the area is so run down and crime filled that nobody will invest a dime in a building that will only be robbed or vandalized the first night. It's just in the wrong place.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
BMXRacer View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMXRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2017 at 12:11am
I have faith in people. They will have more job opportunities. Be proud of their neighborhood again.
Again in the neighborhood their could a second redevelopment zone. New sidewalks, street lights, more police presence. Maybe a police substation in the new AMC World Headquarters Building.

There looks like enough land for a baseball/softball field as well as a walking park, playground.
Lift up the teens, give them hope, scholarships for local residents to the Auto Design School. On top of the job opportunities.

Finally a easy access site wow just off the Interstate!

14300 Plymouth Rd, Detroit, Michigan

They could extend funds to make sure the path from the interstate to the site is also redeveloped, it is very very close. I looked it up on Google maps and streetview, stunning presence .

Mr_AMC View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2018 at 2:43pm
I WISH that people in the United States would not just TEAR EVERYTHING DOWN.  In Europe, there are buildings HUNDREDS of years old, that get re-purposed and continue their life..  MOST new buildings are cheap corrugated steel ones..
WE should SAVE the old buildings and do a sort of Resto-mod to them..
66sevets View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66sevets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2019 at 9:27am
I worked at that building in the 80's. I worked for AM General for 11 years, 77-89, we were in the back where you see a gravel parking lot. The Hummer was developed there. I used to walk all 3 floors and got a real education in design, engineering, and testing all in 1 building. I even got down in the basement of the main building and looked at the collection of cars. I took the cover off and looked at the first AMX. It was black. Studebakers that looked like stage coaches with motors. There was a AMC mechanic that put a 401 4sp in a Spirit back in 82, fast car. I was there when the French came in and ruined it. I think it was a Kelvinator plant before AMC.

Steve
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2019 at 8:25am
I was lucky enough to drive that black AMX around the parking lot before Cryco moved it out of there.  The car was originally on the roof of the Kenosha plant and was white.  That was the car that AMC restored in the plant in the 80's.  I have some pictures somewhere. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic