TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Is this a stupid idea (that won't work)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 9:18am
Oh phoo!I did not know that. I think I just learned something.
It sounds to me like it might be possible to obtain a later model set of backing plates and bolt them onto your axle with all the parts.  Just thinking at the moment. Sorry I have not been more help.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
johne View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 9:22am
I appreciate the feedback (I really do) on the (lack of) wisdom in my original idea.  :-)
67 Rebel SST convertible (parts car) RHD
68 Rebel SST convertible RHD
56 Chevy 210 (Long term project)
MarlinSteve View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarlinSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 9:34am
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

It sounds to me like it might be possible to obtain a later model set of backing plates and bolt them onto your axle with all the parts.  Just thinking at the moment. Sorry I have not been more help.

Thats what I and most everyone else has done.

johne View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 9:50am
I hope to do this, too if I can track down the parts, but we don't have a whole load of AMC 20 rear axles lying around on our tiny island Smile
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 11:08am
A comment to add to my new found wisdom brought about by recognizing my profound ignorance.
I have a 1980 AMX.  This is a car that was made only with the I-6 engine.  They stopped using the V8 in 1979. 
As far as I know because it has a six cylinder engine I am assuming that it also has an AM 15 rear axle which was standard production for all AMC 6 cylinder cars.
I have never checked that it does not have an AMC 15 rear axle.
It does however have the Brakes and hubs used on the V8.
If it is true that the axle is one normally used for 6 cylinder manufactured cars and I know for a fact that the brakes on it are for a V8 application then one can assume that you do not need backing plates and hubs from an AMC 20 but ones from a 6 cylinder car such as a Spirit, Concord or Hornet would work.  And you probably have more of those floating around.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
johne View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 11:20am
Thanks again - if anything we have even fewer Spirits, Concords etc here (don't think I have ever seen one other than in picutres), but appreciate the thought.

I did some more eBay searching and I can find some 1" ID cylinders that physically would fit, but they are listed for the six cylinder cars only.  

Hoping to track something down from another member here who has kindly responded to my PM

I think that the "servo" backplates and drums (10") from any AMC axle would fit (although the Jeep drums would have wrong PCD)

Edited by johne - May/24/2014 at 4:45pm
Bart R. Orlans View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bart R. Orlans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 1:00pm
The non-servo drum brakes have the shoes attached to the backing plates with metal clips. Servo brakes have the shoes attached to the backing plates with pins, springs and cups that twist onto the the pins, an arrangement we're probably all used to. The clips on the non-servo brakes can be a pain and when I was putting new shoes on the back of my Marlin, I needed a third hand to hold the shoes in place while I attached the return springs. The non-servo drums also have a different adjuster that is a ratcheting lever as opposed to the servo drums that use the familiar star wheel adjuster.
Bart R. Orlans

They call me daddy at home
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 3:00pm
I think I may be able to help.  I have a set of Javelin axles that I pulled off a junkyard car years ago. I just pulled axle, backing plate, etc.   I have no use for the backing plates as I plan to reuse the ones on my car.  I also have a set of leftover drums from my old '74 Javelin that I've been sitting on for 15 years and have no use for.

I'd be willing to donate to the cause the backing plates and drums if you reimburse me for the shipping.

The only question at this point is:  Will Javelin brakes help out the situation and will they fit?  IIRC, they are 10x2.5"
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
johne View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2014 at 3:36pm
Hi Fluffly, I am 99.99% sure what you have will do the trick - that is a very kind offer - I will you send you a PM.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2014 at 4:42pm
The hubs need to be removed to swap backing plates.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic