TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Is there low cost parcel shipping from US

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnRyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there low cost parcel shipping from US
    Posted: Aug/06/2016 at 6:23am
A forum member in Australia expressed interest in some parts. I need to reply with approximate shipping costs. The parcel will weigh about 12 pounds. Going to the major shipping companies (Fedex, UPS, DHL) as well as the US postal service, the shipping costs range from about $95 to $150 US dollars. All had delivery in a week to ten days.

Does anyone know of a less expensive and possibly a little slower company or rate to save some money?

Regards,
John
Newark, Delaware, USA

Adolph John Rydzewski
Newark, Delaware
1972 Ambassador 4dr Brougham, 360/2BBL/727 purchased new
1968 AMX 390/Auto
1957 Hudson Hollywood 327/Auto
1975 Cadillac Eldorado
1992 Lumina Z34 5 speed
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2016 at 7:53am
Might be less expensive to split up in smaller weight and smaller packages.

I spent $15.00 to Britain on a 2 pounds small package.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2016 at 8:32am
Shipping to Australia seems to be the most expensive out there.

USPS has flat rate boxes, one price for up to a set weight, maybe 20 pounds?? Sometimes that is a good deal. Good for smaller heavy items.

If you or someone you know is an eBay power seller, you can get a really good discount on overseas USPS shipping. On items I sell & ship thru USPS Priority overseas & eBay I get between a 20 & 50% discount. You'd have to do a semi fake auction or buy it now to do this & get the eBay discount. And your buyer would need to be an eBayer. Run a $0.01 buy it now with free shipping to Australia.  Then when you sell & ship to your buyer you'll get the shipping discount. Hard to quote a price in advance though, the discount always varies. $0.01 sell price & free shipping would minimize your eBay fees.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2016 at 10:18am
USPS is generally the cheapest option, otherwise pack it in the smallest box possible as that can make a big difference in cost.
Craigie View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2016 at 1:20am
I get a range of parts shipped through a Company called "USAtoAUS" . The have a office in Washington and one in North Carolina and specialize in shipping (on a ship) to the major capital cities in Australia. The cheapest package they do is $100 Australian ($70 US) BUT IT DOES TAKE 4 - 8 WEEKS. They come into their own when shipping larger and heavier items. I am currently having a Holley 6 Pack (Triple Carbs)sent out for $70 US via this method, normal air freight was going to be $150 US.......... So there are $$$$$ to be saved !!
Craigie.........

1968 Dodge Charger "Bullitt" tribute
1971 SC/360 Hornet
1973 "Levi" Gremlin
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2016 at 5:19pm
I wouldn't use USAtoAus if you want it anytime soon, my front bumper has been sitting in their Carolina warehouse since January waiting for the next container.

In most cases high shipping costs are just a fact of life if you live in Australia, you just have to weigh it up against paying more for the parts locally assuming you can find them at all.
Craigie View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2016 at 7:42pm
Spot on Western Red !! The slow boat to Australia can take time to arrive, it's just something you have to weigh up when you decide on the shipping method.
Fragile items like windscreens are best ordered locally as it's a lot easier to sort things out if they show up broken ...............
Craigie.........

1968 Dodge Charger "Bullitt" tribute
1971 SC/360 Hornet
1973 "Levi" Gremlin
JohnRyd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnRyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2016 at 9:24pm
Thanks so much to all who replied.

I have not heard back from the interested party, but it appears for this item US Postal Service is the least expensive, and reasonably fast.

Appreciate the information on alternative shipping for large and heavy items, but still have additional cost getting the part to their warehouse. Good to know, however.

Again many thanks !!! Smile
Adolph John Rydzewski
Newark, Delaware
1972 Ambassador 4dr Brougham, 360/2BBL/727 purchased new
1968 AMX 390/Auto
1957 Hudson Hollywood 327/Auto
1975 Cadillac Eldorado
1992 Lumina Z34 5 speed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic