TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

is 1st gear designed to kill the driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2014 at 6:35pm
A good stick shift driver can shift smoother than an automatic can
centash View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2014 at 8:07pm
here is a simple trick I taught all my kids----as soon as the car starts to move, stop moving your foot. You don't need to worry about giving it some gas with your right foot, once the car starts to move, it will pick up speed on its own, then fully release the clutch and accelerate. Remember--stop moving your clutch foot as soon as the car starts to move--practice makes perfect!
fonze View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fonze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2014 at 7:34pm
Yup that looks like the old gal but mine is skyblue with a white top.this advice is all gold to.me big time and my wife is already trying to get the car off of me
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2014 at 5:23am
Originally posted by fonze fonze wrote:

Lolol that's good cause the door locks don't work I think I may have the classic.When I got I going the clutch was nice and smooth.And yeah its got good torque that more than makes up for the lack of ponies
I think I killed the battery from stalling out and restarting. the one that was in it was his garbage battery he used to start his projects so I'm waiting to buy a good battery so I don't end up pushing it home

If you change the battery, after you learn to clutch you'll never learn to pop the clutch...LOL

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2014 at 7:38am
This is a funny thread to read. My second car was a 1930 Ford with a 3 speed non-syncro transmission.  (My first a 1947 Desoto with Fluid Drive a semi-automatic.) I soon learned how to shift it with out using the clutch other than to start from a dead stop. A non-syncromesh transmission where all gears had no syncro's was known as a crash box. Recently a fellow down the street bought a restored 1926ish Chevy. You could here him shift if for blocks.
Cadillac introduced syncromesh in 1928.  AMC had to be one of the last to use a non syncromesh low or 1st gear in automotive transmissions in the USA.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
fonze View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fonze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2014 at 10:04pm
I also have a 48 Dodge pick up that I want to put the 251 engine I bought it also came with a strange transmission from a 48 Windsor it has a clutch but it also has a strange semi converter in it I hear once you engage the clutch you can go and it can be bump started and stopped at a light without stalling but ill probably just leave the three speed manual in it before I go messing with the configuration
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2014 at 11:16pm
As memory serves Chrysler called a couple of different variations "Fluid drive" and I am not sure why or what models or years they were.
But
There was a Semi-automatic with not a torque converter, but  a hydraulic coupling that ran off of engine oil between the end of the engine and the clutch. In one form, it was just that.  There was a clutch and a 3 speed transmission. With reverse. You needed the clutch to put the car in gear but once in gear you could either 1) Use the clutch and shift from 1 through 3 and such like normal OR, once in high or 3rd gear, you could just leave it there and drive with the gas and the brake and once stopped the fluid coupling would slip, allowing the engine to run with out stalling and given enough time drive from a dead stop still in high gear. 
A little old ladies clutchless driving car once it was in gear.
The other version was a semi automatic,  The quatrant was the H on the column with reverse as normal,  Low or 1st in the 2nd gear position and 2nd and high or 3rd in the 3rd gear position.
You need a clutch to put the car into 2nd from a dead stop.  You can then release the clutch and the fluid coupling would slip.  Step on the gas, the car moved forward from a dead stop in 2nd gear, release the gas and a vacuum system shifted the manual transmission from 2nd to 3rd and you continue driving.  come to a stop,  the vacuum system shifted the car from 3rd back to 2nd so you could go forward again. 1st gear (now in the 2nd gear slot on the H patern was only used to move heavy loads from a dead stop, like pulling a trailer.  And a clutch was used to shift from the start gear to the driving gears if you wished.
The fluid coupling was not a torque converter and used engine oil.
I had a 47 Desoto with "Fluid Drive" the semi automatic.  The later Dodge use a Fluid Drive that consisted of only the fluid coupling.
I have some data on these things, not too sure how much but can look it up if you want.  And no I do not know what other names these were called.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
fonze View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fonze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2014 at 11:49pm
I appreciate the offer but I wont be doing anything with the Dodge for the time being I still gotta see if the 251 fits with the three speed I have in it then I gotta see if I'm able to do the t10 trans swap. Plus the trans I have for the 251 needs the special Carb with the electric connectors rebuilt and I don't know how the silanoid to put it in 4th will hold with the 12v alternator that's in it then I gotta go to the junk yard to get the later 50's model steering column so I can shift it on the column .......lots of work so first step get it running ......eventually
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2014 at 9:43pm
I have the same transmission in my Rebel.  It takes some getting used to!  The way I taught my sister-in-law to drive a stick was basically let the clutch out slowly and as you start to hear the engine bog down, give it gas to bring it back up.  Then let out some more clutch and as it bogs again, give it more gas.  Do that until the clutch is completely let out.  Eventually it will become one fluid motion and you won't even think about it.  The absolute hardest part of learning to drive a stick is starting on hills.  Especially steep ones.  Once you've mastered flat takeoffs, I suggest practicing on a hill that gets little traffic.

I don't shift to first unless I've completely stopped.  If I'm still rolling, I use second.  I'm not a fan of that unsynchro'd first gear.  I'm considering a T-5 swap.

Congrats on the purchase
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2014 at 2:06am
AMC used the T-96 until 1972.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic