TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Interior Plastics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffltstn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interior Plastics
    Posted: Nov/02/2017 at 8:32pm
Can these interior pieces be save? the have deep scratches in them. 
I know I can repaint/dye them but can the texture be recreated?

Ken In Orlando Fl.
'73 Javelin AMX
'73 Javelin
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2017 at 9:04pm
Pretty tough. Better to find some others. Easy enough to repaint if you find some of the wrong color.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2017 at 11:31pm
you could wrap them in vinyl or fabric if you want to go custom
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2017 at 5:45am
I would try to save them. For about $50 you could repaint them and have them looking pretty good. SEM product line has all the paint you would need and if they don’t, go to your local auto paint store (I went to Napa) and they can color match your interior and put it in a spray can. My interior pieces on my Spirit had some scratches, but I spent a few hours wet sanding the plastic with various grits to get it glass smooth. SEM also has a texturizer you can put on the panels before you apply paint (and after flexible surfacer primer) to get yourself back to that original texture or pretty close. If you need any tips, I believe I have a write up on here about my process, but I’m not sure what subject it’s under. Good luck!
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2017 at 5:55am
If you're feeling crafty, fill the gouges with epoxy or plastic weld. Then carve the texture back into the hardened plastic with an exacto knife. 
Gremmy Power!!!
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2017 at 7:49am
Find some black panels....different plastic compound than the colored panels....and they don't turn to powder from sun exposure....Trying to fix those blue ones is going to prove to be a waste of time...there are plenty of extra black ones available at what should be a modest cost, and if your time is worth anything you will be way ahead to put those in a recycle bin and go with black ones and recolor....I purchased a 73 one owner Javelin in 1980 with blue interior that had sun damaged blue panels...It was only 7 years old at the time....If you ran a fingernail across them the soft cooked plastic would just come off...I thought...the next time I am up in Kenosha I will go to a salvage yard and get some nice used panels up there in the Midwest where the sun is a lot less intense than down here in Oklahoma...The panels I found...lots of them...were just as bad up north as down south....Went with black, recolored blue, and everything has been fine for 37 years now... ...Bob in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
ffltstn View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffltstn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2017 at 2:44pm
I know I have a tan pair, I think I may have a black pair, I got the black top peices from a AMX Cant recall if I got the bottoms, need to check the attic. 
Thanks Guys
Ken In Orlando Fl.
'73 Javelin AMX
'73 Javelin
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2017 at 3:21pm
Tan will probably be just as bad as blue...Black is the best way to go...Your top padded pieces and soft arm rest sections should be able to be cleaned up and maybe used as they are since the sun did not seem to bother the padded parts like the harder molded pieces....Bob in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
jlswaggers View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlswaggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2017 at 5:54pm
here is a way that is pretty easy and works.  I used it on my 72 challenger door panels.  clean as good as possible, wipe with scotchbrite to remove as loose stuff as possible.  then spray whole thing with undercoating. it gives you a good texture close to oe  and the black is easy to cover with any color  sem vinyl coating.   
68 rebel sst
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2017 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by jlswaggers jlswaggers wrote:

here is a way that is pretty easy and works.  I used it on my 72 challenger door panels.  clean as good as possible, wipe with scotchbrite to remove as loose stuff as possible.  then spray whole thing with undercoating. it gives you a good texture close to oe  and the black is easy to cover with any color  sem vinyl coating.   

That is what I am doing with my crispy crash pad. Turned out great on the sections I have done... will finish once I complete the center speaker fill in to conform flush with the contour of the pad.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic