TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

interior lights 70 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: interior lights 70 Javelin
    Posted: Mar/06/2017 at 11:22am
The interior lights have been giving me troubles for some time now. None of them work.
They didn't work before I replaced the light switch, the door switches and checked or replaced the bulbs.
Still didn't work after  that.
Sometime ago, I pulled the wires out of the drivers side rocker, and all looks good there too. I don't think the interior light wires are routed through the rocker, can't remember what all was run through the rocker besides tail/brake/turn signal/backup and trunk lights.
The dash lights all work correctly.
The sail panel lights, the lights on the side of the drop down to the console, the glove box and the map lights all do not work.
Any body have any suggestions?
Is there a known ground wire somewhere I've missed?
Thanks,

Armand

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2017 at 12:40pm
There is a black wire that plugs into the headlight switch, easily missed because its a pain to hook up. It is an individual wire that if I remember attaches to the outer case of the switch. Look at that.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2017 at 1:48pm
Armand,

I don't have the TSM right in front of me but if I remember correctly the interior lights are always "hot" and the ground side of the circuit is switched as you open the doors and operate the panel light dimmer function of the headlight switch. To me it sounds like the hot side of the circuit may be the issue. Double check the fuse panel for a "courtesy light" or "dome light" fuse. When I get to the shop later I will pull the TSM and refresh my memory.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2017 at 3:19pm
Thanks for the two tips, I do remember a black wire in the vicinity of the headlight switch. It has a socket connector IIRC.
I think I've checked fuse several times, but I will check them again. I need to see if there's power up to that fuse too.
Still don't understand why AMC designed the fuse panel location in Javelins as the toughest place to get to.......
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2017 at 8:03pm
Basically as mentioned. There's a bunch of orange wires that all need power, they piggy back plug in under the dash. First make sure there's power first. Every switch is ground operated. Make sure you have ground. Don't make it more complicated than it really is, if you think about it you'll figure it out.

Just a tip, 4 bolts take out the drivers seat.
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2017 at 8:51pm
I totally agree with the 4 bolts, well worth the time, your back will thank you.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 8:50am
Yes, the drivers seat is relatively easy to remove,  It makes a huge difference for under dash access.

Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2017 at 6:02pm
I have a similar problem that the OP had. My two courtesy lights work now that I put bulbs in them (map light works too) - but they stay on and do not go off when the doors are closed! Gonna crawl back under tonight and try to sort it out. Since they do work I don't think its a ground issue. Could be both jam switches are bad? One of these looks like an aftermarket replacement. Thoughts on what to check?
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2017 at 8:13am
Checked the wiring of the courtesy lights last night, best i could and everything seems to be connected correctly. Pulled the left side switch and it had two black wires attached per the TM diagram. I guess it is possible that both side switches are bad - or maybe if the left side is bad it effects both??
Rozwell View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rozwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2020 at 10:09am
Did you ever fix your courtesy light issue? I have the same problem on my 68 AMX, courtesy lights on all the time. I have removed the door switches and they seem to be in great shape. They work by grounding when you open the door. I checked all the wiring and it seems correct. There must be a improper ground somewhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic