TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

intake manifold removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: intake manifold removal
    Posted: Jul/04/2020 at 4:25pm
Anyone have any tips for removing the intake manifold from the engine while still in the car. I am trying to replace the valley pan gasket. I have found some videos but the engines are out of the car with easy access. I do not have and engine hoist as a resource.
I guess another question would be do I need to replace the gasket due to oil sepage by the intake manifold bolts. It feels like RTV was used on the back due to squeez out, cant feel any squeeze out on the front.
Its a 360 in a 1973 Javelin

Edited by Balt - Jul/04/2020 at 4:37pm
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2020 at 9:38pm
My 68 390 cast iron intake manifold weighs 56 pounds. Be careful you don't hurt your back. It is easier to remove the intake than install it. If it was me in your shoes I'd find a cherry picker and leveler to lower the intake into place. Back brace would come in handy about now.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Balt View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2020 at 9:57pm
I forgot to mention it is an Edelbrock Performa intake. I can't seem to break it loose, and I dont want to damage the aluminum.
rell View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2020 at 7:07am
I had to do the same thing recently on a manifold that did not want to release. I ended up using the engine hoist attached to a carb lift plate. I would go easy since I was able to lift up the front end of the car with just the RTV holding the manifold in place! The RTV slowly released. 

Chris
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2020 at 7:37am
I've done it before with 2x4 across the spring perches and turnbuckles. Once loose though it really is a lot easier with 2 people for removal and installation. Doing it myself once loose and on re-installation was never part of the plan. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2020 at 7:51am
Take a big flat blade and wedge it through the front corner at a 45 degree angle towards center, to get in between the rubber seal and manifold. Tap in in with a mallot. It will pop free. You may do alternating corners. It worked for me.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Balt View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2020 at 2:35pm
Thank you for all the advice I was able to remove it using the board and turnbuckle method. I now have other questions. I am in the process cleaning up the gasket material on the intake. Previous owner did not use a valley pan. I am going to use a valley pan. 
I am a relative noob when it comes to auto repair past just doing oil and plug changes.
What is the center square hole on each side of the manifold for. It is between the 4 rectangle holes. What is the signifigance if there is a lot of carbon looking material there.
What would the best way to clean that out?

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2020 at 2:45pm
Those holes are for the heat riser in the intake manifold. Many like myself will block them off for just a summer cruiser and if you live in a warm climate it also reduces ethanol fuel evaporation.
You can block them off with some intake gaskets by not removing the cut outs or with thin sheet metal (tin can). Just don't make the block offs too big or they can make your intake not sit properly. Set them in place with some high temperature silicone.
Or, if the car was running fine, just continue using them.
Balt View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2020 at 3:28pm
Thanks, the carbon buildup in there then is not a big issue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic