TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - intake manifold pcv baffle/splash shield question
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

intake manifold pcv baffle/splash shield question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 6:54pm
None of these guys used to post here as Forest (with one "r"), did they?

LOL
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

None of these guys used to post here as Forest (with one "r"), did they?

LOL
Lol.  I actually met Forrest....
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 10:00pm
Back on topic,
Correct me if wrong, but I don't see a filter in the parts list and have never seen one on a first rebuild.
By design, filters are a maintenance part that require changing. This one would be difficult, to say the least to change.
IF you do rigorous oil changes I see no problems with a filter (not getting into filter medium type) like this getting clogged.
IF this was a neglected driver with many miles, this filter could potentially be a problem. Clogged with carbon deposits from ring blow by and/or oxidized oil deposits.
I remove them if I find one.
A baffle with no filter works, my experience.
Oil vapor and lighter particulate go through the PCV, through the intake, and discharged with combustion gasses.
What exactly is the problem with the original design on a well maintained engine?
Or the other way of looking at this, what are we trying to fix?
Does this filter increase measurable performance?
Just curious on the facts/experience please.

Edited by Trader - Apr/16/2019 at 10:08pm
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 11:58pm
After thinking about the original posters question and reading through the 9 pages I have come to the conclusion that if I needed a filter I would use a sintered bronze plate. I think this might be the best overall material to use. http://amespore.com/en/find-out-your-amespore-filter/bronze-plate-filters/

Tom

JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2019 at 5:41pm
As far as the rivets go someone mentioned that Fastenal has the drive screws.

Does anyone know  the size and or the part number?
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2019 at 7:01pm
I think they were the #8 size but dont have any more to measure.  I bought a pack of three different sizes from ebay.  Steel, not aluminum.  Maybe 10 or 12 of each size.  Maybe use  drill bits to check hole size and compare to the chart posted previously.  
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2019 at 11:39pm
Well shucks, the particular size I'm unable to find in the Parts Manual...
They appear to have came with the manifold with the baffle already attached from AMC...

And this was from McMaster Carr 20 some years ago...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - May/05/2019 at 11:48pm
tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2019 at 1:33pm
Well ChillyB sent me all three sizes and I'm sure glad he did because as I was drilling the old rivets out, the holes got bigger. As a result, the original size didn't fit anymore, but the larger of the three sizes did. So in the end, JerseyJoe, if you're prepping a used manifold then it might be better to get all three sizes just to be on the safe side..
NVCJ5 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NVCJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 9:41pm
I may have missed something during the big fight but did the OP ever take it back apart and install the baffle?

Looking everywhere for one of those, I'll pay good money if you have it and want to sell it (or anybody else that has one)
tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by NVCJ5 NVCJ5 wrote:

I may have missed something during the big fight but did the OP ever take it back apart and install the baffle?

Looking everywhere for one of those, I'll pay good money if you have it and want to sell it (or anybody else that has one)

Yes, I ground the old rivets out of the old manifold and riveted the baffle to the new manifold with the new rivets. After all the hub-bub, I didn't put any kind of filter into the baffle because it didn't have one on the old manifold i took it off of (unless it disentegrated into the engine, haha) Clown Clown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic