TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - intake manifold pcv baffle/splash shield question
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

intake manifold pcv baffle/splash shield question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by ChillyB ChillyB wrote:

Stainless steel pot scrubbers are commercially available.  There are also those round nylon pot scrubbers with no abrasives.  Original engines had an empty baffle and seemed to work fine.  What problem are we trying to solve by packing foreign material into the baffle?

Well, from many performance engines, it seems sucking oil through pcv is easier on the AMC engines. Though for big builds, they scavange pcv externally, thus the oil vapors are burt off through exchaust, rather than recycled into the combustion, and coating the intake floor as well.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 1:32pm
About the use of abrasives... way back, for resealing piston cylinders, bon ami was used, by shaking it into a running engine. This is a old timer story, and now these days powered cleansers are made differently in thier composition.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 1:34pm
I can see this is on the brink of becoming personal.  Enough information and opinions have been shared for any readers to make up their own mind.  If one does elect to put scotch brite in an engine at least give it a vigorous rub between your hands over a sheet of clean paper to shake off some of the abrasives.  It comes off easily, though impossible to get it all.  What falls off is a combination of abrasives, and also a flaky binder made of calcium (I think).   The abrasive is actually aluminum oxide, not silicon carbide as I originally stated.  Hard stuff none the less.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 1:56pm
I don't use anything but the Scotch Bright heavy duty green food safe scouring pads have no abrasives, just the same nylon/resin pad material.
Exhaust resonator or permanent intake filter SS mesh would also work. It is woven and would not come apart.
Just other options for people that want something in there.
tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 2:09pm
Does anyone know how to install the drive screws? It looks like I drill out the old broken ones. My research on the forums shows that the drive screws are #8 x 3/8". Do they just hammer in?
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 2:14pm

I can see this is on the brink of becoming personal.  Enough information and opinions have been shared for any readers to make up their own mind.  If one does elect to put scotch brite in an engine at least give it a vigorous rub between your hands over a sheet of clean paper to shake off some of the abrasives.  It comes off easily, though impossible to get it all.  What falls off is a combination of abrasives, and also a flaky binder made of calcium (I think).   The abrasive is actually aluminum oxide, not silicon carbide as I originally stated.  Hard stuff none the less.

You don't want to tell us how many AMC engines you built? Fine.... don't... but you are ignoring the fact that if the system is working correctly... the PVC valve should suck upwards into the intake and combustion chamber.. not down into the engine... 

Oh and guess how many engines I've built... ZERO...  
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 2:14pm
Drill appropriately sized hole and tap them in.  Screws have a short stump of "unthreaded" length to help start them.  
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

the PVC valve should suck upwards into the intake and combustion chamber.. not down into the engine.

Side stepping the ad hominem aspect of your post, yes the PCV draws from the crankcase to the intake.  Thats another area where abrasives should be avoided, by the way.  But I doubt any scotch brite bits will be drawn by the fairly lazy draw of manifold vacuum.  Instead, the pad becomes saturated by the oil mist which collects in it, then drips down over the cam lobes and lifter to the oil pan. Thats the purpose of the baffle: to mechanically separate the misted oil from the air and fumes.  Fumes and air go up, oil drips back down.
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

I don't use anything but the Scotch Bright heavy duty green food safe scouring pads have no abrasives, just the same nylon/resin pad material.
Exhaust resonator or permanent intake filter SS mesh would also work. It is woven and would not come apart.
Just other options for people that want something in there.

Green will scratch glass.  There are blue non-scratch scour pads that seem to be free of abrasives.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 2:57pm

Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

the PVC valve should suck upwards into the intake and combustion chamber.. not down into the engine.

Side stepping the ad hominem aspect of your post, yes the PCV draws from the crankcase to the intake.  Thats another area where abrasives should be avoided, by the way.  But I doubt any scotch brite bits will be drawn by the fairly lazy draw of manifold vacuum.  Instead, the pad becomes saturated by the oil mist which collects in it, then drips down over the cam lobes and lifter to the oil pan. Thats the purpose of the baffle: to mechanically separate the misted oil from the air and fumes.  Fumes and air go up, oil drips back down.

You are splitting hairs here to defend your own position! Meanwhile... you seem to have no problem  diminishing someone else who's been building these engines longer than you've probably even been alive! Let me guess.. you are in your mid 30's.. started working at a engine machine shop a while back... think you know a thing or two now that you seen some stuff... decided to log into the AMC Forum one day and are now ready to tell everyone how to build these engines better! So.. I guess we'll all just start listening to you now that you're here to enlighten us. 

So what engine shop do you work for? You've convinced me and I'm confident you can build me a real nice 360.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic