TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - intake manifold pcv baffle/splash shield question
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

intake manifold pcv baffle/splash shield question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: intake manifold pcv baffle/splash shield question
    Posted: Apr/14/2019 at 11:18pm
I've just realized that I'd installed my intake manifold without the splash shield because it's still riveted to the old manifold I took off. Is it vital that this shield be installed? I drive my cars maybe less than 200 miles per year. I was thinking that driving it only to shows once or twice a year won't affect anything? The car is a 1971 360 ci.

Edited by tom999q - Apr/14/2019 at 11:20pm
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2019 at 11:46pm
with out the baffle there possibility  of high oil consumption because the pcv go's right into the lifter vally  that about it
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
tom999q View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom999q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 5:27am
Oops, I've should have added that I'm also using a one piece metal pan intake manifold gasket..

ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 6:11am
Watch where your PCV routes to your air cleaner.  If it is wet with oil then you need a baffle.  You need a baffle regardless, just a matter of what you personally are OK with given the low usage your engine will experience.  
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 8:26am
You can also install a PVC line oil separator and my suggestion would be to put the return on the oil fill tube (easiest, most convenient, cheapest part to replace at a later date).
There are other units that are cheaper, above is just an example of what I'm referring to.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 8:39am
The metal intake pan gasket isn't that terribly expensive.

Pull the intake manifold and transfer the PCV baffle to the bottom of the aluminum intake and be done with it.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 12:15pm
Try it out. I never put the baffle on mine and have only ever pulled oil after a full 1/4 mile pass. Cruising, not a drop. Same for my Buddy's Gremlin. He daily drove it, drove it 1500+ mile round trip to race with no issues.

If you end up pulling oil, I'd use what Trader mentioned.

Anyhow, 200 miles a year is really nothing to sweat.

Edited by nda racer - Apr/15/2019 at 12:17pm
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 12:25pm
Rick Jones did this to the underside of my Eddy Performer intake for me... he does something similar to all the intakes he works on... 

He also did this to modify the EGR system as well...

ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 12:27pm
Is that a red Scotch Brite pad?  With all of those loosely-adhered chunks of silicon carbide abrasive in a nylon mesh?
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by ChillyB ChillyB wrote:

Is that a red Scotch Brite pad?  With all of those loosely-adhered chunks of silicon carbide abrasive in a nylon mesh?

Yes it is. He's probably built over 100 AMC engines... so I'm good with it... and I am sure he will chime in if he sees this post. 

Edit:
See this link for more info... some others had the same objection.. but others verified that it does indeed work fine...

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Apr/15/2019 at 12:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic