TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Instrument cluster LED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Instrument cluster LED
    Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 2:16pm
I know this has been covered many times before, but in sesrching the old posts I haven't found the answer as to how bright and how directional the dash LEDs should be if I order them for my 72 Javelin. It looks like the original bulbs were 158, which seem to be 25 lumens. Would 35 lumens be a good choice for an LED to be a decent amount brighter than the originals? I'm thinking of ordering green LEDs from superbrightleds.com

Also not sure if I should specify a directional (120-180 degrees) or omni directional pattern.

Any advice from someone who has already been through this would be much appreciated.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

PABLO View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PABLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2018 at 9:02am
Hi from Spain.
I have a 1973 AMX and had replace the dash directional lights with normal led ones. They works fine.
On old lights the power was a important issue for brightness and more important for hotness.
As new led one work much colder, I think is a good idea to change them. I´ll not care too much if there are a bit more or less bright, because the directional lights there are no permanently on.

1973 JAVELIN AMX 360 AUTO
1973 DODGE 3700 GT (built in Spain)
SPAIN (EUROPE)
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2018 at 11:24am
Thanks for the reply, Pablo. I'm planning to stick with incandescent for the warning lights and directional signals. Switching to LED only for those that illuminate the gauges.

When nobody responded I went ahead an ordered green LED's rated at 100 lumens. I hope they're not too bright.

Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2018 at 7:45pm
Cam, I'm very interested to see how the new lights turn out for you. Please keep us posted.
Tom
Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 12:08am

You absolutely want multi-directional ones. Minimum of 5 SMD's per LED. LED's have such a focused beam that if you get the ones that merely point one direction, you just wind up with hot spots.

This photo isn't the greatest - - the ammeter is much brighter than with conventional bulbs. I am considering adding additional LED's in the lower area of the cluster for added light but, then again, I hardly drive the car at all, let alone at night. So, I don't know if I will or not. Frankly, I've taken the dash apart so many times over the years, it annoys me to do so.  I really don't want to ever have to take it apart again.

Edited by Fluffy73 - Oct/18/2018 at 12:11am
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 10:38pm
Thanks for the response, Darrin.  I did order omni-directional LED's, so hopefully they'll work out. 

Here's a link to the ones I ordered:

Tom, I'll follow up once they're installed to let everyone know how they work. 

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 11:41pm
individual LEDs are inherently directional, but you can simply file the end flat, or sand them roughly, to diffuse the light. especially the kind with a lot of clear plastic "bulb". there's a tiny wire down by the LED semiconductor die, if you look very closely. break that the lamp is dead, but it's easy to avoid.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 9:50am
I'm interested in this conversion,  but curious to know if this will work with the rheostat dimmer incorporated as the rotary feature of the headlight switch. If it does, the full voltage brightness would be irrelevant as the lights could be dimmed to whatever lesser brightness one would want?

Am I thinking correctly? Do LEDs work that way?
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 10:13am
LEDs do not dim well, so are not good for rheostat type dimmers. My 72 Javelin has a two-position dimmer switch so may have a chance of working on the low setting, but I won't know until I try.

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 3:14pm
They have LED's now with a built-in resistor and are dimmable.
Our '71-'73 Javelins with the two-position dimmer don't really do much but I've put dimmable LED's in a Hornet with great results.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic